Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Admin login and blank password cannot be changed????

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Admin login and blank password cannot be changed????

Postby robcaryh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:34 am

I have tried and tried and no matter what i do,the admin and blank password gives complete access to my camera. This is alarming as it contains my wifi network name and password so anyone can get onto my network if they discover the camera.
In fact,I can type random characters like sdfgjnejrtjwer into the id field and still get full access to the camera.

I have indeed set my own administrator user name and password in the users setting,but it doesn't matter.It would be well enough if i just typed garbage every time i want to log in,it lets you in no matter what.

Is the security in these IP cams really this poor? I will never buy Foscam again, this is a joke.
robcaryh

Re: Admin login and blank password cannot be changed????

Postby mycam » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 am

It should not be like that,the user name and PWD can be changed.
Pls reset the camera and try again.
For resetting the camera, there is a reset button on the bottom, use a small round pin to press the reset button for 35 seconds until the camera restarts of course keep the ac adapter plugged in while you do it.
mycam
Admin

Postby tman7510 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:29 pm

I have the same problem and even loaded the latest firmware. I have the FI8918W model and I can not change admin password...it must be blank or I cannot login or get invalid param and see noting in camera view gui. I can create other users but this does me no good if admin is always open. I have reset the camera multiple times and the same thing happens :evil:
tman7510

Postby larjoe55 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 pm

You should be able to create a password Just go to user setting, You can't change the name of the admin, because someone has to be in control, ok just type your own password in the space were the password for admin, then go to the next space were it says visitor and create a user name Like guest1 then give it a password like guest 1234 or what ever you prefer Now you as the admin, have and always will have control of the setting the guest will not, To test this you have to have a friend you trust to login to your camera with the guest user information, and ask him if he can move the camera of get to the setting without using your admin password. He should be able to only view the camera not move it or change the settings if he can then you have to contacted support.and you can also give control to an operator that is up to you.Just remember no to give out your admin password or they could mess with the setting in the camera> Hope this helped. Don't forget to hit submit. or the changes will not take affect.
larjoe55

Postby CamUser » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:02 pm

For those having trouble, what OS and browser are you using?

If you're using Win7, you may need to login to Windows as an Administrator. If you already are, or think you are, you may have to open your browser using "Run As Administrator". I know I had to do that to set the recording path.

I also haven't had much luck using anything other than IE. Other browsers work, sort of, but not well.
CamUser

Postby ajenkins » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 pm

FOSCAM FI8910W
Windows 7

I attempted to change the admin password multiple times from IE and Chrome, with the same result others here report: the camera locks you out and must be factory reset.

I was able to get it to work by limiting the admin password to 12 characters or less. The form text boxes will accept passwords much longer, but these get truncated on submit.

The admin page should obviously be improved in this regard:
- Don't accept more characters than are legal
- There is probably no point in masking the password on the UI, in particular because no confirmation is offered
ajenkins

Postby eugge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi everybody!
I had the same problem with admin password setup.
The fix for me was:
1. create a new(one more) user with password and assign it to Administrator group. Save settings (submit).
2. exit(log off) from admin user and log in as a new created user.
3. set up a new password for admin. As "ajenkins" said above,password can have max 12 symbols. Save settings (submit).
4. now admin user must use a password to log in.
Foscam FI8918W
eugge

Postby Hoosierdaddy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm

I had the same problem. Apparently there is a problem with IE and Chrome, as the passwords were unable to be saved, and were actually corrupted when saved, which required me to reset the 8905w.

Solution: Use Firefox! Yup, that's it! I had this problem on 3 cameras and all I did was use Firefox to set the password.

Hope this helps...
Hoosierdaddy

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

There is a max of 12 characters for both the User Id and Password.

That said, there is no check to see what the length is when you add that User Id and Password.

But when you logon with that new password, it is compared to max 12 characters, so it fails.

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby summitmd » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I had the same problem. Apparently there is a problem with IE and Chrome, as the passwords were unable to be saved, and were actually corrupted when saved, which required me to reset the 8905w.

Solution: Use Firefox! Yup, that's it! I had this problem on 3 cameras and all I did was use Firefox to set the password.

Hope this helps...

Thanks so much for the tip!! Your suggestion worked perfect for me. Definitely use Firefox when setting up the initial configuration and you wont have any issues with the password config being corrupted.
summitmd

Next

Return to Technical Support