Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Apple (mac) audio browser plugins

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Postby hairlessape » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm

I can't get the audio to work on any web browser (firefox, chrome, safari) on a mac... they all tell me to go to VLC and install the plugin... well on the VLC website support forums there are several posts about the fact that they no longer support mac browsers with their plugins... effectively making the audio for my FI8918W unusable... are there any other plugins that are compatible with this model that I can use on my mac?... if not this is extremely disappointing given what I spent on this camera and the fact that it is marketed as being fully compatible with macs and the three browsers I listed above... Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the audio to work?
hairlessape

Re: Apple (mac) audio browser plugins

Postby rocknrotty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Have same question is there an answer
rocknrotty

Postby mike7532 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 pm

I could not get audio to work on any Mac OSX Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari), regardless of which plug-ins I installed/enabled/disabled. However the Foscam tech support provided a solution using the VLC app (NOT the VLC plug-in for a browser), and it works:

Make sure you have the latest version of VLC: 1.1.9 [now 1.1.12].

1.) Open up VLC player, from the menu bar on the top of the screen click on "FILE" ---> "Open Network"

2.) Type in http://ipcam_url/videostream.asf?user=u ... d=password in the URL field.

3.) Type YOUR foscams ip address and don't forget the :8080 <-- at the end to designate port number

3.) Type in YOUR username after user= and type in YOUR password after pwd=

4.) click Open and you should be good to go. If you wish to save your stream to file, check the "Streaming/Saving" box and select where you wish to save the file to, and check in the box "Display Stream Locally" if you wish to watch the stream as it records.

Summary: So if I had my foscam set at port 1080 and username is admin and password is mac, this is what I would input to VLC:

http://192.168.1.5:1080/videostream.asf ... in&pwd=mac
mike7532

Postby thunderhorse425 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!

For some reason, the forum software automatically parses the urls that you posted, so here are the unparsed URLs. :mrgreen:

http://ipcam_url/videostream.asf?user=username&pwd=password

Using your Example:

http://192.168.1.5:1080/videostream.asf?user=admin&pwd=mac
thunderhorse425

Postby fgouvrit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm

didn't work for me

1st time: camera tool error: still "a plugin is needed to display this content. Install plugin..." message

2nd time: VLC error: Your input can't be opened
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'thunderhorse425

but, let's imagine it worked. Do you have to open VLC player and open network every time you want to have sound?

does anyone knows if the old plugin is online somewhere?

thx
fgouvrit

Postby Kapu » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:31 am

I too can both view and hear on my Mac with the VLC application (1.1.12). I can even record, however it does not record audio for playback. Is there a way to record both video and audio?

Also, it would be great to have more than one window as I have two FI8918Ws. Does VLC support multiple windows? My preferred program is EvoCam (4.0.4) which displays multiple windows in a single frame (awesome, BTW), but I get no audio whatsoever from this program which is a deal breaker. I have a PC which employs all the options necessary to utilize all the features of Foscam cameras, but I really need to access these cameras on the Mac platform only.

In an additional observation, VLC offers greater volume control which is sorely lacking in the Windows I.E. interface. On the Windows machine, the volume is way too low to use effectively.

For those who wish Safari, etc., to control Foscam cameras on a Mac with 3rd party plug-ins; I've given up trying to make them work. The only answer is a stand alone app for total control... and even that, I'm sad to say, is a challenge.
Kapu

Postby larjoe55 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 am

There is a new VLC 2.0

http://www.videolan.org/

hope it helps
larjoe55

Postby profmac » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 am

I have been able to record video with audio from the Foscam FI8910W camera using VLC 2.0.1 on my Mac. Here are the settings I use:

You can then save this as a Playlist for future use. However, you need to set up the recording settings (2nd pane above) in VLC each time (they aren't saved in the playlist).
profmac

Return to Technical Support