Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Camera loses wireless connection

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Camera loses wireless connection

Postby fastazzevo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi all,

I have been having zero problems with my camera during testing phases.

I have finally received a longer power cord and decided to move it to a different side of the house. This side of the house I can use my other wifi devices, laptop, phone, etc. However, the camera will connect but only for a few mins. Once I initiate a pan/tilt, it loses connection.

I have moved it back to the room that the router is in, and BAM, the camera works flawlessly including when pan/tilting.

I suspect the wifi antenna/board in camera just blows.

I am setup on a b/g netgear router using WPA2-PSK [AES] and channel 11, i tried different channels before moving camera back and it didn't work.

I am curious if anyone has success with a larger antenna on either router or camera or both?

I have seen a lot of issue with wifi dropping, but none had my exact symptoms. this is the 8910W,
fastazzevo

Re: Camera loses wireless connection

Postby kegobeer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:40 am

Sounds like there's electrical interference that's killing your camera. Have you tried wrapping the bottom in aluminum foil? As stupid as that sounds, I've read posts that say it helps.

It does seem like Foscam has a serious problem with interference, almost as if their cameras weren't tested for it.
kegobeer

Postby fastazzevo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:38 pm

thanks for the reply. I did some serious testing tonight.

What I have come to the conclusion is I purchased some 5m extended power cables from Ebay, from UK..

Anyways, When i used the extension. I would pick up the camera, but as soon as I tried to pan/tilt the camera wouldn't move, and my ping -t would get time outs for a while.. the camera would never pan/tilt and eventually loose video.

When using the standard cable without the extension it worked flawlessly. I tested it on multiple outdoor/indoor outlets.

I will try to just use the standard power cable that came with camera and just use extension cords from my attic a/c source to run in direction of cameras and I shouldn't have issues. I didn't want it to be like that, but I suppose it may actually be cheaper. I will just staple the power cord and make it look pretty ;)
fastazzevo

Postby hacmanran » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:57 am

Ihad similar problem in Windows 7 trying to make camera STATIC instead of dynamic. Froma CMD window I first pinged the camera ip to ensure the connection then ran on its address:

arp - a 192.168.2.84

The above gave me the "Physical Address" (with dashes) and said "dynamic"

To change it to "Static" (my goal), I created BAT file as follows

echo off
netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Local Area Connection" store=persistent 192.168.2.84 00-12-7b-53-3a-4f
pause

Note the physical address in the BAT file DOES have dashes.
The NETSH is ONE LINE and PAUSE lets you see any errors when yo run the file

Save the file to something like as SetFoscam.bat.
display the file in windows explorer then right mouse on the file and Select "Run as Administrator".

Simple sometimes works best.
This only needs to be run ONCE and NOT as a startup item or anything!
Add a NETSH line for EACH camera
... hope this helps!
hacmanran

Postby pauly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00 am

get a 6v power supply to use with extension
I am no expert but what little help i can offer is better than nothing
pauly

Return to Technical Support