Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Can't connect to wireless network (FI8910W and Netgear n300)

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Can't connect to wireless network (FI8910W and Netgear n300)

Postby npat » Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 am

I bought the FI8910w camera a week ago and I'm able to get it to work wired but I'm having a hard time getting to connect wireless. I have a Netgear N300 (model# WNR200v3) router and it will not connect at all. I've set the router settings down to 802.11b signal and WPA-PSK[TKIP] security and it still won't connect. I've tried all combinations of b/g/n signals with different WPA/WPA2 security options and it still wont work. The camera firmware is at 11.37.2.44.

I can get to the camera via wired connection with no problem. When I connect to the camera, go to lan settings and click on the scan button, I see my wireless network show up and enter my security key and click submit, wait for 30 seconds and disconnect the network cable but it still doesn't connect.

Does anyone have this same router and have the foscam 8910w camera connect to it wirelessly successfully? If so, your help would be greatly appreaciated.

I need the wireless functionality to use it as a baby monitor and if it's not going to work, then I might have to return the camera and buy another cam from a different manufacturer.
npat

Re: Can't connect to wireless network (FI8910W and Netgear n

Postby Gaels22 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 am

Hi;

I had the same problem.

What I was doing was after I setup up the wireless....I would wait for the camera to reset and then I pulled the Ethernet plug after 10 secs. I would then immediately go into the browser and click the Live Camera....nothing...kept telling me it was timing out.

Soooo

What I did is when I set up the wireless. I waited for the camera to reset, waited 10 secs and then unplugged the ethernet cable. I then closed the IPConnect software (the software that recognizes your camera and shows its name and IP address). I then re-started the IP connect software back up and it found the camera..I double clicked the Camera and BINGO it was working.

I am also using Firefox latest browser.....Internet Explorer was having Problems.... I hope this helps you.

Cheers
Andrew
Gaels22

Postby npat » Wed May 16, 2012 11:41 am

Gaels22 wrote:Hi;

I had the same problem.

What I was doing was after I setup up the wireless....I would wait for the camera to reset and then I pulled the Ethernet plug after 10 secs. I would then immediately go into the browser and click the Live Camera....nothing...kept telling me it was timing out.

Soooo

What I did is when I set up the wireless. I waited for the camera to reset, waited 10 secs and then unplugged the ethernet cable. I then closed the IPConnect software (the software that recognizes your camera and shows its name and IP address). I then re-started the IP connect software back up and it found the camera..I double clicked the Camera and BINGO it was working.

I am also using Firefox latest browser.....Internet Explorer was having Problems.... I hope this helps you.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I will try this out when I get back home after work. One quick question, how is your router setup? Are you running in mixed mode? (b/g/n) and what security setup are you using? (WPA? WPA2? WEP?) Also, are you running a guest network off the router?
npat

Postby npat » Thu May 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Good news!! I was able to get my camera to connect wirelessly. I was running my router in mixed mode (b/g/n) and the camera did not like it that combination. I then dropped it to wireless g only and it picked up the signal and was able to connect with no problem.
npat

Postby cornell2 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:40 pm

sooo many people have this issue! works wired but not wireless!!
100 different solutions means no solution.
there's trend here.
I am bumping this so it gets more attention.
cornell2

Postby murtazaml » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 am

So you are using a wireless N router with 300mbps in a wireless b mode with probably 54mbps speed. Why are these cameras advertised as wireless N?

My problem is even worse i cannot even get my Netgear WPN824N router to detect my F18910 when wired.
murtazaml

Postby ndmaque » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:51 am

F18908W

nightmare of a product re wifi and firmware
i tried every trick in the book but nothing shows up on wireless scan

can anyone point me to the latest firmware?
it seems so have disappeared.
it had to sign up for email notifications to get it but F18908W was not on the list.

i don't expect any help but bumping awareness of the problem.
ndmaque

Postby orion » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:49 pm

I have a similar problem - same model, most recent firmware (which for some bizarro reason is HIGHER than the latest firmware on Foscam's website??? What is up with that???)

It connects via WIFI, but DHCP doesn't work over WIFI, so I have to specify the IP settings manually in the camera. Also - the debugging logs in my Cisco (no - not Linksys, but CISCO 1200 series) WAP show the foscam logs repeated "Authentication failed" on the WAP. Seriously- this IP cam is causing a constant stream of warnings in my WAP logs when using DHCP. It does connect if static, though with about 10 "Authentication failed."

This is the only device I've ever connected to the WIFI that fails to get a DHCP lease, so I suspect something's not right with it. It gets DHCP just fine wired in.

Running Cisco 1200 series WAPs, Sonicwall Pro 2040 firewall (with DHCP).
orion

Postby nelsonbhz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 am

I have the same problem. I followed the video instructions for basic setup and wireless setup. After choosing the wifi network on IP Camera Tool and rebooting, IP Camera Tool won't show any IP indicating that the camera is disconnected to the router. In fact, I can confirm this, as the router administration tool cannot see the camera wirelessly. The green LED on the back of the camera keeps flashing fast.

Maybe a problem with the camera antenna?

I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.2 and a Asus RT-N66U Router.

I've send a message to Foscam support, but got no answer so far.

Any suggestions?
nelsonbhz

Postby jd0472 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:04 pm

nelsonbhz, I had the same problem connecting my FI8910W to my new Asus RT-N66U router. I have the router in AP only mode and after trying every combination of security and wireless mode settings I managed to resolve the connection problem by disabling the 'Enhanced interference management' option. This option is on the 'Professional' tab when viewing the settings for the 2.4ghz.

Hope this helps
jd0472

Next

Return to Technical Support