Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Cannot get FI8918W to work on wireless

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Re: Cannot get FI8918W to work on wireless

Postby PcolaSteve » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:49 am

You may need to contact Linksys on this but...

Is your Linksys router set to DHCP? Doing so, the router will automatically assign an IP address and configuration to each device it detects.
PcolaSteve

Postby BigBrother » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 pm

I opened a case with Foscam but in the meantime I pulled the camera from the one room where it was wired over to the wireless PC for one more last round of troubleshooting because I was tired of walking over to re-plug the ethernet cable back in after it lost its wireless connection.

Yes, DHCP is set to yes. I don't know what happened but now I can get it to come up consistently on wireless using no security or WPA after I moved it. It does not work with Mac Address filtering. If I log into the Router, the Client's table has both addresses.

Now the problem is does not stay up on wireless. Within usually 5 minutes, the connection is lost.
Foscam FI8918W 12/2010
BigBrother

Postby barks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:51 pm

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. To answer the question you had earlier, I unplug my network cable just after hitting Submit. I should have had a step 6 in my instructions to do that. I have not had the issues you are experiencing. Did you set a static IP after the camera obtains one via DHCP? That is what I would recommend first. I set a static IP outside my router's DHCP range to make sure there is not an IP conflict in the mix.
barks

Postby BigBrother » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 am

In my early rounds of testing, I had tried a static IP. I'll try giving that one more shot now that I can get a wireless signal initially.
Foscam FI8918W 12/2010
BigBrother

Postby gingerbread » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:28 am

Oddly enough, I've found that repositioning my wireless router actually does the trick. I have a Netgear wpn824v3 and simply turning it 30-40 degrees in one direction or another seemed to relieve some of the "interference" it was having with it's surroundings. After I did this, it connected without problem.

I would also recommend using a static ip. Simply for ease of set up. I also make sure to keep the "ip camera tools" program running during the entire process, as well as unplug the ethernet cable within 5 seconds of clicking submit.

I also ran into some confusion by simply using Google Chrome (or any other "push" browser). Scanning for networks and clicking them did not autofill the wireless section (if nothing appears after scanning, click refresh), so be sure to double check what type of encryption you're using on your router (wep, wpa aes, etc.).

Hope you get it working soon.
gingerbread

Postby leebrendalee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Hello,

How far away from the router are you? Try putting the cam in the same room as the router, hook up wired first, get the picture, than unplug it, leave it on wireless and I bet you a dime and dollar it will work in the same room.
I suspect your having same issue as mine, it:ll connect to wireless than it:s gone although now mine just does not connect.....only the one that:s in the room as the router will come up INSTANTLY.

too bad cause they are beautiful cams.
leebrendalee

Postby LifeIs2030 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello all! I am having the same problem(s) as BigBrother. Anymore suggestions out there, please? I am running the Motorola Surfboard SB6120 modem and a Belkin F5D8235-4 router. Everything works fine with the ethernet cable but NOTHING works on WiFi. Maybe a static/dynamic IP issue? Thanks for reading!
LifeIs2030

Postby PcolaSteve » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 pm

First off, did you configure the camera while attached to the network cable then try wirelessly?
PcolaSteve

Postby foscam2u2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:37 am

I've tried everything all you guys have said in the previous threads and then some.

I have used multiple 802.11g routers with encryption off, mac filter off, public ssid, dynamic/static ip, etc...I've tried just about every combination to test what works. In a previous life, I used to test wireless devices for pcmag.

These features seem to work with wireless connectivity --- G-only mode as well as G/N mix mode with auto-channels turned on, Channel 6 (2.437Ghz) (did not test all the channels but 6 is the middle one for G), 20 MHz bandwith (Auto should work as well), DHCP, Static IP, public SSID (no special chars), WPA2/AES (no special chars), lesser encryptions (WEP/WPA), no encryption, HTTP port.

MAC filtering does NOT work.

If you must have MAC filtering on your primary router, add a second router to your network and dedicate it to this device.
foscam2u2

Postby cookie1176 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:08 am

I hope this helps. I signed up just to reply to this thread, because I too had the same problem with being able to get my two new cams to work wirelessly. I own four Foscam cameras two of which are used on a wired connection. I just sent the message below to Foscam and instead of me rewritting it all I am going to copy and paste. I think this will be helpful to many of you that have the same issue I had.

Sent to Foscam:

The instructions on how to set up a Foscam FI8918W skips some very vital information. You fail to let us know that when a camera's Ethernet cable is removed and set to wireless that a second MAC/IP address is displayed in the router for use in wireless mode. I set down for at least 6 hours yesterday, because I was determined to get wireless working on both cameras. I noticed that when I disconnected the Ethernet cables from both cameras that 2 new IP addresses appeared in the router, but I didn’t have a clue what they were for. When I started reading in the forums I realized a huge number of people could operate the cameras with a wired connection, but could not get them to operate wirelessly. I am sure 99% of these people did not realize that a second IP address/Mac Address was created when the camera was converted from wired to wireless. Also for those who cannot navigate their routers or are not very familiar with their routers, they would never have a clue that a second IP address had been created specifically for the wired connection. (Well at least for those who cannot get the IP Tool to work, I never could get it to work and had to rely on my router for IP address information.)

My goal in purchasing camera number 3 and 4 was to use them wirelessly in rooms that are a distance from my router. One post online did tip me off to the two Mac Addresses that are located on the bottom each camera one set for wired mode and the other for wireless. As mentioned I had already noticed the other two new IP addresses that were created in the router and put 2 and 2 together to figured out the mystery behind the two new IP addresses that appeared after I unplugged the Ethernet cables from both cameras. Please do us all a favor and make your instructions more detailed to save a lot of us so many hours of heartache and frustration. I am still upset about the valuable time I lost because I worked with these cameras for such a long time yesterday.

Please respond with an immediate solution. You have a great product, but incomplete instructions will make people return these cameras and go to the competition. I was warned of the horrible instructions on forums before I purchased my first two cameras, but I didn’t think this much vital information would be completely omitted from your instructions.
cookie1176

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion