Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Email setup - FI8908W?

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Email setup - FI8908W?

Postby vansykes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 am

I have a FI8908W. I can't seem to get the email to work on the camera. I have the SMTP server, user name and password (same as ones in Outlook), but the camera fails to pass the test connection. Any ideas?
vansykes

Re: Email setup - FI8908W?

Postby gnshpdude » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Check to see if you ISP will let you use there SMTP. Cox did not. I set up an account with Gmail and it worked great. However I had to use Blue Iris as the boxed software did not allow me to use SSL as required by Gmail. I have still been unable to get the bosed software to work with email.

Gnshpdude
gnshpdude

Postby admin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:04 am

The boxed software will only work with non-free SMTP accounts, such as those provided by your ISP or your webhosting services. Free SMTP accounts (such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc) will not work with the boxed software, but will work with 3rd party software such as Blue Iris, etc.

I hope this helps. In future updates we hope to get the boxed software working with free smtp accounts as well.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
admin
Admin

Postby gnshpdude » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Unfortunetly many IP will not let you use there SMTP as they view this as "web hosting" and do not want to be liable if a costumer uses this account to send out SPAM. Try Blue Iris as it worked for me and has many good features not available on the boxed software. You will still need the bosed sogtware to change the brightness and contrast settings though.
gnshpdude

Postby myellen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 am

I have the same issue. I am setting up a SMTP server, and the issue is that it says the server can't be contacted. I also setup the FTP server and I get the same error.

I have confirmed the IP info (Default Gateway and DNS are all correct).

The Camera is just not working correctly. Any suggestions?
myellen

Postby roly5908 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:47 pm

I have pulled what little hair I have left trying to get the email SMTP to work straight out of the FI8908W. I believe there is a technical glitch in the firmware that inhibits proper functionality of the authentication feature in the test function.

Very few ISP's these days allow the use of their ports for hosting your own email server using their data circuits, but there's no reason why the camera shouldn't be able to communicate with an ISP SMTP server, regardless of whether port 25, 587, or 465 are blocked by the ISP. Also, authentication will almost assuredly be a requirement. I'm convinced that it's a bug in the firmware.

I too use Blue Iris, and frankly why would anyone want to use the internal camera firmware anyway when you have this awesome application. It's well worth the $50 to get the full product license. Not only does it email perfectly with the SMTP protocol, but it sends you a SMS text, and/or a MSN instant message. I use the SMS feature and it rocks.
roly5908

Postby brian » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:50 pm

Special thanks to JOEM! I was able to get my cam working with GMX.com

my specific settings for anyone trying it:
Sender [email protected]
Receiver 1 [email protected]
SMTP Server mail.gmx.com
SMTP Port 587
Need Authentication Y
SMTP User [email protected]
SMTP Password (I used a password with letters and numbers...no special characters)

1. Click SUBMIT
2. Then, click TEST

Thanks everyone for debugging this.
Brian
brian

Postby n0m4d » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm starting to get to the end of my rope with mail setup on my 8904 (purchased here).

I have tried my paid 1and1 email account settings and get a "The server does not support the authentication mode used by the device" error.
I have created a gmx account and set as above but I get a "The sender is denied by the server. Maybe the server need to authenticate the user, please check it and try again" error.
My ISP delegates its email to google which doesn't work with the camera.

I really need it to do this email thing since that is the specific reason I went with the FOSCAM unit. I'm stumpped, are there any other options?
n0m4d

Postby n0m4d » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 pm

I guess the gmx mail took a little time to setup but its all working now. Motion detection works great as well. Good Stuff!!!
n0m4d

Postby rhampong » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

The free non-SSl SMTP mail servers that I have found so far are from AOL amd GMX on port 587. These work well for emails with the FI8918.

I also have a FI8908 with old firmware that has no option for specifying the port (which I asume is default port 25) so does not work with AOL nor GMX. Also my ISP blocks port 25 so using email with that model is
out of the question for me.
rhampong

Next

Return to General Discussion