Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

EMAIL WORKS!!!!!!

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

EMAIL WORKS!!!!!!

Postby Joem » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 pm

After spending days, trying everything and reading posts from numerous forums I fiqured out the email settings. I use aol so I'll use it for an example.

sender myname@aol.com
Reciever myname@aol.com
SMTP server smtp.aol.com
port 587
authenication yes
usersname myname (don't put @aol.com)
user email password

send ip yes

now the most important part CLICK SUBMIT to save it to the camera BEFORE you click on test. Please post how you make out.
Joem

Re: EMAIL WORKS!!!!!!

Postby vardelda » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:46 pm

i tried your approach with smtp.gmail.com - no joy.
vardelda

Postby vardelda » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:55 pm

since i had an AOL account 20 years ago, and they never delete anything, i thought i'd try the AOL solution directly. again, no joy.
>> Test ... Failed
>> The sender is denied by the server. Maybe the server need to authenticate the user, please check it and try again

interestingly, this is a different message than is returned when i try other services ("The server does not support the authentication mode used by the device"). still playing with this to see if there is some AOL update i need to make to my old account.

when you set up the smtp information and click submit, does it return to a blank screen? and then you press 'Test' and it works? the blank screen after Submit is worrying me a bit...dav
vardelda

Postby savage40 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Mine worked for a liitle bit.. But then stopped sending me motion alerts via email.. I restored to factory defaults and it works for a short time then stops... I have paid comcast account and tried every server they had to no avail.. Tech support can't seem to figure it out either.. All I get now is can't connect to server.. I'm not happy..
savage40

Postby brian » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I have a paid account with Mediacom (My ISP) and the email DOES NOT work.

Very frustrating and false advertising, to say the least!
brian
brian

Postby Joem » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 am

Please post exactly what you are putting in the balnks and checking boxes etc. (execpt your password of course). Also my sure you click submit berfore you test. lets see if we can fiqure it out. It took me 3 days but I finally got it.
Joem

Postby Joem » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:19 am

Savage 40

Yours worked then stopped. Do you have the schedule filled out on when to send you the email alerts?
Joem

Re: EMAIL WORKS -- REALLY!

Postby vardelda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:20 pm

figured it out! too many idiosyncracies...

firstly:
- as noted, you must 'Submit' before testing. but be careful to watch your browser when you hit Submit -- sometimes, it doesn't do anything (in IE at least). i have to click off to another settings page and come back, make the changes again, and hit 'Submit' again. (you will see a "Waiting for http://... message in your status bar if it actually updates the camera)
- Sender must be your sending email address (in my case, the aol account i am using to send). It cannot be any name per protocol. Turns out, this is a common restriction of many ISPs to prevent SPAM.

note that i have only gotten AOL to work. i have not gotten two other ISPs i use (one being Comcast). again, i *suspect* some sort of SPAM filter is being triggered preventing authentication.

but AOL is free and works so go for it!

...dav
vardelda

Postby vardelda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm

i meant to add:

thanks JOEM as his original instructions were correct -- i just had to follow them exactly.

my specific settings for anyone trying it:
Sender vardelda@aol.com
Receiver 1 vardelda@aol.com (tested with others -- any valid address works here)
SMTP Server smtp.aol.com
SMTP Port 587
Need Authentication Y
SMTP User vardelda
SMTP Password ****
Report IP by Mail (not relevant but useful) Y

...dav
vardelda

Postby brian » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Special thanks to JOEM! I was able to get my cam working with GMX.com

my specific settings for anyone trying it:
Sender blahblah@gmx.com
Receiver 1 anyoneonthewholeplanet@gmx.com
SMTP Server mail.gmx.com
SMTP Port 587
Need Authentication Y
SMTP User blahblah@gmx.com
SMTP Password (I used a password with letters and numbers...no special characters)

1. Click SUBMIT
2. Then, click TEST

Thanks everyone for debugging this.
Brian
brian

Next

Return to General Discussion