Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

FI8910W Woes

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: FI8910W Woes

Postby cinemapw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:10 am

This issue does affect basically all Foscam MJPEG cameras manufactured after a certain date. It is an hardware issue and has nothing to do with wifi or static/DHCP assigned ip address.

I have some older 8905s (serial 12xxxx) and they are NOT affected. I also have some newer 8905s and 8906s (serial 22xxxx and 23xxxx) and they are ALL affected.

Foscam has refused to acknowledge the issue even if it is very easy to reproduce.

The last firmware (51) does NOT fix it.

As I wrote in another thread, I would advice anyone NOT to purchase ANY Foscam MJPEG camera until the issue is properly acknowledged and a solution (not a workaround, like lowering brightness and/or contrast) is given.
cinemapw

Postby RandyHolt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:29 am

I did more testing yesterday and had some successes. As noted above by cinemapw, scaling down brightness.

I found that when I turned the brightness down to 2 or less, the 8910 11.37 would not crash/reboot when accessing the camera in bright daylight.

I also found that reducing the resolution from 640x480 to 320x240 allowed for some increasing of the brightness.

So it appears the camera is unable to process the sheer volume of light, or more specifically, process/output it to the owners phone or computer browser.

Today I will do testing using different modes. I realized that i had left the resolution at 60Hz. Today I will set it to Outdoors.

The older firmware 8910 11.22 has no issues no matter the mode, and the 8908 has no issues as well. Because of that, I had neglected to toggle that mode.
RandyHolt

Postby GrantTrotter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 pm

I have 5 8910w's in my house. 2 of them face outdoors. I was CONSTANTLY having reboots with sunlit trees until I turned the brightness down (thank you for suggesting this).

Hopefully someone at foscam is smart enough to fix this problem with a firmware update. Until then I'll have to deal with a sub-par picture. :|
GrantTrotter

Postby jojocat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Has anyone here gotten an RMA because of this issue and NOT had the problem with the replacement camera? I'm having this issue with a newer 8910 I bought, but I don't want to lose the camera for 2 weeks and pay shipping unless I know that the problem would get fixed. I wonder if they would agree to pay shipping if the replacement unit didn't fix the problem?
jojocat

Postby Harold » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:44 pm

I believe this is the same issue as is being discussed here:

8910w-hanging-rebooting-based-on-image-data-t5769-30.html

Appears to be unresolved so far.
Harold

Postby johannsf » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for brightness information - this is my problem with the 2 new cameras I just installed. It's a hardware issue, and should be fixed.
johannsf

Postby caco3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:39 pm

I just ordered (2) 8910s the other day and then came across this thread. Don't have the units yet but would like a little more details if others can supply. Its been suggested that this is linked to a bad HW manufacturing lot with some units starting to show the problem back in May '13. Does anyone know if there is a date code on the units or if a date code is encoded into the serial number. I'd like to see if we can correlate the problem to a certain date or serial number range so I know what to look for. Can those of you with bad units post your date or relavant portion of the serial number. If we get enough we might be able to see a pattern. Curious also if affected inventory is coming from one particular place or not (ie Amazon vs Foscam direct). So where did you buy your unit from. Thanks,

Jon........
caco3

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 pm

caco3 wrote:I just ordered (2) 8910s the other day and then came across this thread. Don't have the units yet but would like a little more details if others can supply. Its been suggested that this is linked to a bad HW manufacturing lot with some units starting to show the problem back in May '13. Does anyone know if there is a date code on the units or if a date code is encoded into the serial number. I'd like to see if we can correlate the problem to a certain date or serial number range so I know what to look for. Can those of you with bad units post your date or relavant portion of the serial number. If we get enough we might be able to see a pattern. Curious also if affected inventory is coming from one particular place or not (ie Amazon vs Foscam direct). So where did you buy your unit from. Thanks,

Jon........

I am not sure this is true or correct. I say this because there have been reports that people that had camera models that were much older, also started to have the issue after loading the x.x.x.51 firmware upgrade.

So, it's not fact yet, that this issue is hardware based. Additionally, not all people are having this issue. To complicate matters. The x.x.x.51 firmware upgrade is a critical one to install. Because it resolves security issues, that without it are present and remain, in the older versions of firmware.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby Spappy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm

To chime in, I am having this same issue. Camera freezes and then reboots when pointed outdoors when viewed remotely. When pointed in doors, works great. I have turned down the resolution to 320 x 240 (which is plain hideous) and the brightness down to 2 and the framerated down to 1. If I bump up the resolution to 640 x 480 (brightness 2, fr 1), almost instantly freezes up and eventually reboots itself.

Don, I saw you mention a xx.xx.x.51 firmware update as being critical to this problem. That upgrade is not in the list of upgrades I just requested from Foscam. Is it available via some other method? Or not yet approved for release?

Thanks,

Spappy
Spappy

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Spappy wrote:To chime in, I am having this same issue. Camera freezes and then reboots when pointed outdoors when viewed remotely. When pointed in doors, works great. I have turned down the resolution to 320 x 240 (which is plain hideous) and the brightness down to 2 and the framerated down to 1. If I bump up the resolution to 640 x 480 (brightness 2, fr 1), almost instantly freezes up and eventually reboots itself.

Don, I saw you mention a xx.xx.x.51 firmware update as being critical to this problem. That upgrade is not in the list of upgrades I just requested from Foscam. Is it available via some other method? Or not yet approved for release?

Thanks,

Spappy

You are very welcome.

Please see this:

http://foscam.us/forum/8910w-hanging-rebooting-based-on-image-data-t5769-70.html#p30589

Don
TheUberOverLord

Previous

Return to Technical Support