Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

FI8918W HTML control/view - any browser (phones too) - FREE!

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Re: FI8918W HTML control/view - any browser (phones too) - F

Postby saanichtonian » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi all

I picked up one of these cameras last week, and, after looking at various bits of code, decided I would try my hand at putting together a single webpage using html/javascript that would do most things.
What I have to offer is mostly a rehash of what is here, except for one feature I haven't seen; the ability to dynamically resize the image (NOT resolution) from very small to very large using the buttons on the left.

As I am not a windows user, I have only tested with firefox, and from what I understand, IE is a no go without further coding. The rest are unknown.

The page (without any settings) is at
http://members.shaw.ca/saanichtonian/Foscam_Control.htm .

Click on 'help' on the left of the page for a little more info, and you can click on 'file' -> 'save file as' in your browser to grab it and play.

Enjoy.
saanichtonian

Postby edelske » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Very nicely written, putting the documentation in the code is a nice idea.
Ken
edelske

Postby fosuser » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you very much saanichtonian and all the rest of you programmers. I appreciate your efforts. I downloaded the app by saanichtonian and I edited the user, pw, and url. I run it in firefox but there is no image on the utility web page. I can open the camera on another page on a second monitor and control it with the utility running on the first monitor. How do I get the camera image to show on the utility page?
fosuser

Postby edelske » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 am

Log in, click on the posters user name, then send private message. I cannot help as not familiar with your operating system.
ken
edelske

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:59 am

saanichtonian wrote:Hi all

I picked up one of these cameras last week, and, after looking at various bits of code, decided I would try my hand at putting together a single webpage using html/javascript that would do most things.
What I have to offer is mostly a rehash of what is here, except for one feature I haven't seen; the ability to dynamically resize the image (NOT resolution) from very small to very large using the buttons on the left.

As I am not a windows user, I have only tested with firefox, and from what I understand, IE is a no go without further coding. The rest are unknown.

Click on 'help' on the left of the page for a little more info, and you can click on 'file' -> 'save file as' in your browser to grab it and play.

Enjoy.

Please see this. It is NEW and also FREE!

It allows an infinite zoom, of the video in progress, it does not require any resolution change to do so.

It works with Internet Explorer, both 32/64 bit versions and requires NO ActiveX, it works with Firefox on Windows and on Linux as well as Chrome. It should work with most mobile browsers as well, and offers a 160*120 resolution option besides the normal 320*240 and 640*480 resolution options, which all resolutions of course, can be infinetly zoomed as well.

Simply, single left click on the video displayed, and each time you do so, it will zoom, based on the percentage you defined during configuration. To return to normal resolution, simply double left click the video image.

It also uses an internal FPS rate, to minimize bandwidth while monitoring, which does not change the actual camera FPS. Which would be a very bad idea to do, because it could impact images for email, FTP alarms as well as other recordings and video streaming using other interfaces.

As you can see, this can save a ton of bandwidth when monitoring cameras.

Infinite Zoom, works for all Users Admin, Operator and Vistor. Camera movement controls only display and work for Admin and Operator User Id's.

You can configure it to prompt for a logon or include the logon and password in the configuration. You can have as many copies with different configuration options for the same or different cameras, as needed, as well.

More here: free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html

This is version 1.0 and I am waiting for user feedback so that the next release has as many options as possible, but based on feeedback.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Added live demos for this, so you can actually see it in action as both a visitor and operator User Id as well as with manual login and automatic logins.

More here: http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html#p11014

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby edelske » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 am

Don,
I guess 23,000 downloaders are wrong.
MOST are using IE.
But it's not my intent to engage in a forum based "battle".
You seem to miss the intent of the Forum, it's not to "knock" the "other guys offering" - it IS to be helpful, not critical.

It was YOU who posted a link in my thread directed to your thread first.

I just returned the favor, which seems to have upset you.

I suggest we just leave each other alone, OK?

ken
edelske

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 am

edelske wrote:Don,
MOST are using IE.
You seem to miss the intent of the Forum, it's not to "knock" the "other guys offering" - it IS to be helpful, not critical.

ken

I answered a question, in your thread. I did NOT blindly post an Advertisement with Scare Tactics and Unfounded Insinuations, as you did in my thread.

I am NOT sure why you have a need to trash the thread I started?

You say, I quote: "But it's not my intent to engage in a forum based "battle".
You seem to miss the intent of the Forum, it's not to "knock" the "other guys offering" - it IS to be helpful, not critical."

Your post here was helpful how?

It was in response to what post there?

edelske wrote:If you want something that ALWAYS works, no matter what browser; or cell phone - try:

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521.html

It's written in VERY simple basic HTML - nothing fancy, no scripts, no active-X, no possibility of virus or malware. You can (once configured) move it to ANY device that supports an internet browser - not a single report of it failing to work anywhere or in any environment.

ken

From: http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html#p11096

Did anyone ask anyone about your version there, or ask if there was another version there? Then why post about your version there?

It's clear that I did not "Miss" anything.

While I did answer a post in your thread, I answered 2 questions from a poster here. The person asked about how to change the size of the image of the video on-the-fly so I pointed them to my version, because your version does not support that feature.

TheUberOverLord wrote:
saanichtonian wrote:Hi all

Enjoy.

Please see this. It is NEW and also FREE!

It allows an infinite zoom, of the video in progress, it does not require any resolution change to do so.

It works with Internet Explorer, both 32/64 bit versions and requires NO ActiveX, it works with Firefox on Windows and on Linux as well as Chrome. It should work with most mobile browsers as well, and offers a 160*120 resolution option besides the normal 320*240 and 640*480 resolution options, which all resolutions of course, can be infinetly zoomed as well.

Simply, single left click on the video displayed, and each time you do so, it will zoom, based on the percentage you defined during configuration. To return to normal resolution, simply double left click the video image.

It also uses an internal FPS rate, to minimize bandwidth while monitoring, which does not change the actual camera FPS. Which would be a very bad idea to do, because it could impact images for email, FTP alarms as well as other recordings and video streaming using other interfaces.

As you can see, this can save a ton of bandwidth when monitoring cameras.

Infinite Zoom, works for all Users Admin, Operator and Vistor. Camera movement controls only display and work for Admin and Operator User Id's.

You can configure it to prompt for a logon or include the logon and password in the configuration. You can have as many copies with different configuration options for the same or different cameras, as needed, as well.

More here: free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html

This is version 1.0 and I am waiting for user feedback so that the next release has as many options as possible, but based on feeedback.

Don

From: http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521-60.html#p10972

I also added the fact that there was a live demo, so this person could decide if the feature worked for them without any need to spend a great deal of time to do so.

As this person also stated, your version and their version has never worked with displaying video in Internet Explorer browsers, my version does display video in Internet Explorer browsers, as well as all other browsers, which is another reason why I gave the live demo links. So that they could verify this, if they wanted.

TheUberOverLord wrote:Added live demos for this, so you can actually see it in action as both a visitor and operator User Id as well as with manual login and automatic logins.

More here: http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html#p11014

Don

From: fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521-60.html#p11018

That's all I did, I did not trash talk your version, as you did mine.

When nobody asked about anything yet in my thread. So, what question are you answering in my thread?

What you did was very spiteful. All, because I tried to help someone in this community.

edelske wrote:Don,
MOST are using IE.

ken

Personally, I dont count page views, as downloads, I use server statistics for that.

All I did, was inform the poster, there was, in fact a version that has the ability to not only zoom, but infinitely zoom does in fact exist, since they said ("one feature I haven't seen; the ability to dynamically resize the image (NOT resolution) from very small to very large").

In their code, which can be seen via the link they provided, they also note, that they are having an issue with that. Hence, another reason why I answered their post here, as well.

If you view their HTML source, they have these comments inside:

"// avoid problems with 0 scales and image becoming so small it does not change size
// I think something breaks in firefox(1) when you shrink so much that all values in an coords= become 0
// I think something breaks in iexplore(1) when you shrink so much that all values in an coords= become 0"

From: http://members.shaw.ca/saanichtonian/Foscam_Control.htm

I have been a moderator in the Skype community and Skype developer forums ,for many years and am now a Super User there in both forums, so I know and understand, what the intent is of this forum.

Bottom line, I answered a question about a feature that does not work with your version ("Displaying video in IE browsers") as well as a feature that is not present, in your version, which is ("Zoom"), and showed how to see both these features working correctly, by using a live demo.

I have no reason to lie about your version not being able to display video, in Internet Explorer browsers, as it is today.

In fact, you even state that IE ("Is troublesome") and that people should use VLC, instead of IE ("Which is not required to be done") as well as others informing you right here, that your version does not display video in IE.

Links that prove that here:

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521-10.html#p2862

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521-40.html#p6211

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521-50.html#p7776

So. I am somewhat amazed, that you deny this. While the truth may hurt, it does not make it any less, truthful.

This version has only been around since Jul 7, 2012 less than a week.

I took the liberty to answer your unsolicited post ("Advertisement/Scare Tactics and Unfounded Insinuations") in my thread, that was posted, as no response, to any question there. In fact before you posted there, I was the only poster:

edelske wrote:If you want something that ALWAYS works, no matter what browser; or cell phone - try:

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8918w-html-control-view-any-browser-phones-too-free-t521.html

It's written in VERY simple basic HTML - nothing fancy, no scripts, no active-X, no possibility of virus or malware. You can (once configured) move it to ANY device that supports an internet browser - not a single report of it failing to work anywhere or in any environment.

ken

http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html#p11106

Please take the time to view my "About Me" in my signature. You might see that I am more knowledgeable, than it would appear, your current perception is of me. I don't get confused 'much' about issue, like these.

I am not confused about your version not being able to display video in Internet Explorer browsers as it is today nor am I missing any points of your HTML 'link based' design. ;-)

FYI, Your version fails HTML validation with ("Seven Errors") as well, without modification, not caused by anything but bad HTML, when simply changed from .txt to .html ("Which was required, since .txt files, cannot be HTML validated"):

You can verify that here, if you like, that this is fact, not fiction:

http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522.html#p11106

So much for your statement below of:

edelske wrote:As a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) - I know that a key aspect of code efficiency is "instruction path length" - how much code needs to be executed to accomplish a request - I can guarantee that there is NO WAY a shorter path length can exist compared to my code.
THAT is the best way to extend battery life.

Errors, in HTML, cause delay in processing and overhead and are a key aspect of code efficiency . Saying so, is not a "personal attack".

That's why, HTML should, as you say, "ALWAYS", be validated.

More so, when it is intended to be used with many different browser versions, on many different operating systems, with many different devices.

My intentions are to always be helpful. That also requires honesty. If you review my post history here, or anywhere else, you will quickly learn, that I am a solution oriented person, who trys to help people, as I had, when I answered the question(s) the poster posted here.

If that offends you, or offended you enough to ("Advertise and have a burning need to use Scare Tactics and Unfounded Insinuations") about the brand new interface I am creating, in my thread, without answering a question in that process?

I can only inform you, that I will continue to do what is 'Best' for this community, as I have and do in any other communities I post in, and offer any help that I can, based on my 42 years of Systems Programming knowledge.

If you wish to become spiteful over that, I will remind you again, if needed, which I hope, I never need to do, in the future.

I don't enjoy it, but I also don't enjoy someone trashing/spamming my thread, about a free interface, with Scare Tactics and Unfounded Insinuations, which was days old and was unsolicited.

Especially, when my hard work, will benefit this community. Please don't confuse that, with any need for exposure. As it seems you have.

If you Google my NickName "TheUberOverLord" you will also see, I have no exposure issues, as well :lol:

Good Day

Don
Last edited by TheUberOverLord on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 59 times in total.
TheUberOverLord

Postby edelske » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:47 am

You seem to have missed the point of my design.
There is NO need to resize a tiny cell phone screen.
Concept design was to use lowest amount of battery power.
Cell phone users do not need separate admin / user IDs
An ID password combo shown once is the same as shown more than once.
I can understand why you wanted more "exposure" for your code.
When you have tens of thousands of downloads and hundreds of letters of thanks - let me know.
As you don't seem to have my code working with your IE - I suggest you check your settings - it works for THOUSANDS of others with IE.
As a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) - I know that a key aspect of code efficiency is "instruction path length" - how much code needs to be executed to accomplish a request - I can guarantee that there is NO WAY a shorter path length can exist compared to my code.
THAT is the best way to extend battery life.
Try to not make "personal" attacks - stick to the code.
I wish you well and hope you achieve your goals.
Ken
edelske

Postby edelske » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Request deadline for new features closes in 6 weeks.
ken
edelske

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion