Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

FI9821W Issue List

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: FI9821W Issue List

Postby Old Fart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:17 pm

wooties wrote:Has anyone had any luck with this camera working with mobile apps? Tinycam doesn't work. I'm really bummed out how this camera has turned into such a lemon.

Lemon? No
New with a lot of growing pains? Yes

On Android:

tinyCam hasn't added support for the 21W yet.

IP Cam Viewer has (there is a free version of this also, so...)
Old Fart

Postby slikone27 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm

I cannot get the WiFi info to save no matter what I do. My WiFi is WPA and it will not connect because the info doesnt save. Anyone else having this issue?
slikone27

Postby IndianaTom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Just got my FI9821W today. Glad I only got one at this time as this does not seem to be ready for prime time. If I had ran across this forum discussion early I doubt that I would have ordered this one. This camera goes into a hardwired area so it went fairly smooth. Found another issue that someone else needs to check out. I keep setting the time and date by syncing with the PC and it changes the time and date. I press save and it appears to set it correctly but if I press the refresh button next to the save button or go to another screen and go back to time and date the setting goes back one day. I set it to the 7th and it keeps going back to the 6th.

Pan/tilt lag time is horrible on this camera. I am running IP Cam viewer on Iphone 4s which supports this camera. I also have a Foscam FI8916W and a Foscam FI8910W both hardwired. The FI8916W and FI8910W have about a 1 second delay for tilting or panning. The FI9821W has a good 4-5 second delay and half the time it just seems to ignore the pan/tilt command from the iphone even though IP Cam viewer shows the command sent.

The picture is good and clear in good light. Not sure it is that much better than the last camera I got which was the FI8916W. The field of view seems about the same as the FI8910W which I have it sitting next to while I set it up. On the FI9821W any close subject matter (2-4 feet) in IR light mode is washed out. Six feet seems to be the minimum for me to get a decent picture. I suspect they are using brighter IR LEDS to get a longer night range but the expense is that close up matter is over saturated. Since I want to use this on the front porch that might be a problem. Time to do some more testing.

IndianaTom
Last edited by IndianaTom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaTom

Postby IndianaTom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm

More comparison of IR mode of the FI9821W versus a FI8910W sitting side by side. If I turn ON the IR of the FI8910W while leaving the IR on the FI9821W OFF the FI9821W can barely see an image while the image on the FI8910W looks great. If I turn OFF the IR on the FI8910W and turn ON the IR of the FI9821W it produces so much IR light that both cameras have a well lite video. In fact it over saturates the FI8910W at first. That is telling me that the FI9821W is producing a lot more IR compared to the FI8910W. It also is telling me that the FI9821W camera element might be less sensitive to IR so they had to crank up the IR power to "see" anything.

Also the lag time on turning IR off/on for the FI9821W is about 4-5 seconds when using it by IP Cam Viewer . Even then I had to send twice. The FI8910W was about 1 second delay.

To be fair it might have something to do with the iphone mobile app IP Cam Viewer but since I will be using the camera this way I wanted a "honest" test so at the moment the delay time appears to be real.

IndianaTom
IndianaTom

Postby GMaster1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 am

IndianaTom thanks for the input. I'll check mine for the clock sync issue -- good find.

I was tinkering today with a focus issue and discovered that the root cause was with a little glass/plastic/whatever over the lens. I have to rotate the little contact lens looking thing to make certain parts of the picture in focus. Kinda weird. I'm actually thinking this may be related to *some* of the "gloss" issues in low light.

All in all, if they fix the 20 or so issues with the firmware, this camera will be usable. Image quality is pretty average for megapixel cameras around this price range and a decent PT servo makes it a compelling choice. After using Axis and other commercial grade systems, I am impressed with this thing while considering the price. That, or I'm still stuck in 2007.. :-)
GMaster1

Postby moogs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:51 am

I have not been able to use the client to view the camera.

Chrome plugin doesn't work. It's installed, says it's not.

For the cash I might return it. It's a lot of dough for a super buggy item.
moogs

Postby meyerovb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 am

Latest chrome wont install extensions automatically due to security change. You need to drag the file into the chrome extensions page. http://m.lifehacker.com/5919997

Moderator left chrome out of the update notice
http://foscam.us/forum/new-annoucement-of-fi9821w-t4011.html
meyerovb

Postby moogs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:20 am

Yes I am aware of that also. It's still broke. npIPcam DLL has crashed on windows 7, doesn't work at all on OS X>
moogs

Postby meyerovb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 am

Works fine for me, running win 7 x64 and latest chrome. Dll crashing sounds bad, does it work in other browsers? Make sure to test with ie x32, my system kept starting x64, was so confused for a few days there :)
meyerovb

Postby IndianaTom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 am

We seem to have gotten the Foscam tech support attention.
Here is the link of how to setup various browsers to view this camera
new-annoucement-of-fi9821w-t4011.html

I had to use the directions to get Firefox to work. Was simple enough after following the directions.

I also read a post last night made by the tech support that they are now aware of the problems of the Fi9821W due to our "suggestions" of items to fix. That post seems to have disappeared this morning or I am not awake enough to find it. :) At least they seemed to be aware of us now.

For the price, this is not a horrible camera for the picture quality and Pan-tilt feature. If they can fix the all the bugs it could be a decent HD camera and I would get another.

I am going to play around with the night mode. I think by covering up a couple of the LEDs with black tape I can cut down on the over saturated closeup views at the expense of long range view. I really did not need a 8 meter view but I can see others might want a long range view.

IndianaTom
IndianaTom

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support