Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

FI9821W Issue List

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: FI9821W Issue List

Postby GMaster1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 am

I put tape over everything that had a white/bright color to it. Window was even mirroring the "Foscam" print at the base of the cam. This camera also came shipped with a little gouge/chip on the lens. Eh.

GMaster1

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Well. For sure you will have ZERO Night Vision, using your method.

You might be better off, leaving the sensor not covered, so that if you wished, you could still use an External IR light source.

Not doing this has instantly created a "Daytime" only camera otherwise. If your camera happens to be located in a location that could be in total darkness, at times.

Here is an example, of using a modified method, so that a camera could be placed in front of a window without getting IR reflection:

http://foscam.us/forum/block-the-cam-s-ir-led-s-and-use-an-external-ir-source-t3988.html

The above post also has a link that shows to how to disable the IR LEDs completely, but leave the IR-CUT functional. Doing that procedure, would void your warranty however, it's also for another camera model as well.

You and or others could use the same methods vs. doing what you are and use a lower intensity IR external light source, if needed.

Additionally, you most likely are causing the IR lights to be on 24/7 using your method, because you have covered the light sensor and not just the IR LEDs, which will chew up more power as well.

Don
Last edited by TheUberOverLord on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TheUberOverLord

Postby GMaster1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Don,

My camera has IR disabled and is against a window for testing so I can't have the LEDs in sight at all as the diode lenses reflect against the window during daytime hours. Otherwise, I would agree with you. :-)
GMaster1

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm

GMaster1 wrote:Don,

My camera has IR disabled and is against a window for testing so I can't have the LEDs in sight at all as the diode lenses reflect against the window during daytime hours. Otherwise, I would agree with you. :-)

Yes, but there is no reason to cover the sensor.

I would assume that the vast majority of people who wish their cameras to be placed in front of a window, would also still like "Night Vision"?

Which is also why I posted my response. So that anyone who was in the same boat as you, but wanted to camera to function at night, in darkness, could do what you are doing, but also use the camera at night as well.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby ScottW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I noticed another problem with Email alarms...

On my 8910Ws, I send alarm emails through smtp.gmail.com using port 465 and TLS. Using those settings on the 9821W fails every time for me. Switching to 587 and STARTTLS works. That's fine, but if there is something wrong with the TLS support it should be fixed.

To make sure its not "just me", can anyone else confirm that their 9821W fails trying to send via smtp.gmail.com using port 465 and TLS? If confirmed, this needs to be added to the issues list.
ScottW

Postby GMaster1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Scott I was able to get a successful test using gmail/465/TLS. If anyone else says it errors out I'll get it on the list :-)
GMaster1

Postby ScottW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm

@Gmaster1 - Thanks, looks like I have an intermittent problem. I can be on the email screen, with same settings, hit "test" and get "success" one time, then "fail" the next time. No pattern. Not sure if it is the camera or something else (gmail server, network, etc) -- so I will do some more testing. Thanks for checking this, and many thanks for consolidating/maintaining the list of issues!
ScottW

Postby Iceberg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:57 pm

There is a setting in the user interface settings where you can turn of the IR. Change it to manual and the set it to off.
Iceberg

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Iceberg wrote:

There is a setting in the user interface settings where you can turn of the IR. Change it to manual and the set it to off.

Yes, but when you do that, you disable the IR-CUT filter. Which you do not want to do, if you are still going to be using an external IR Light source.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby ScottW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 pm

@Gmaster1 -

Did some more testing... Configured and saved the same email settings to both my 8910w and 9821w: smtp.gmail.com, 465, TLS. Also using same account/password.

On the 8910w: When I hit the "test" button, it consistently reports "success". Ten "tests", ten "successes".

On the 9821w: When I hit the "test" button, it sometimes reports "Success" (and I get an email) and other times it reports "Fail" (with no email). This is without any change to the other fields. No discernable pattern; sometimes it will show "Success" several times in a row then "Fail", and sometimes it will show "Fail" several times in a row then "Success".

Changed the 9821w to 587 and STARTTLS, and then it consistently got "Success" every time. Go back to 465/TLS, and the intermittent failures appear. Also tried it with Comcast on 465/TLS, and got the same intermittent failures.

So I'm ready to say there is some kind of intermittent bug in the TLS support, but I don't know any more than that. Perhaps someone here that has the ability to capture/trace the network session can duplicate the problem and provide a better analysis of exactly where the interaction fails?
ScottW

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support