Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

FI9821W Issue List

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

FI9821W Issue List

Postby GMaster1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:04 am

Edited by Liam:

The latest firmware for the FI9821W fixes several of the issues listed below, the firmware (Version 1.1.1.10) can be downloaded from the firmware page at http://www.foscam.us/firmware at the very bottom of the page.

Also, see the official thread for the release of this firmware, which includes detailed information.

Foscam,

I just received my FI9821W today and have a few things to add/reiterate/report on for your firmware development team. I am posting this publicly in the event that others would like to chime in with responses/feedback/updates.

[CRITICAL] 1.) Currently, when you log in as a visitor account on a desktop browser, you get a simple streaming video with no other options. HOWEVER, when you attempt to log in as a visitor on a mobile browser (smartphone, iPad), the visitor account gets no video stream but does have access to many device settings. The visitor account logged in on a mobile platform can change network settings including disabling DDNS and most troubling, can change and delete log in passwords including the admin account.

2.) Wireless settings do in fact disappear after reboot. About 20 of my cameras will theoretically need to be wireless so this one is fairly important.

3.) PT speed settings inconsistent after reboot. An annoyance.

4.) Recording to C:\ from the interface produces videos that are an unusually faster frame rate than normal. i would guess 1.6x faster than real-time. Again, another annoyance I came across while testing all functionality. ]Manual video recording also has a glitch. When the files are opened with Windows media player, the video resizes after 2-3 seconds. When the video is done playing, media player will not replay the video until it is closed, then re-opened.

5.) After system reboots, camera pans to a preset "home" position. There is an option to disable this on other Foscam products. This simply needs to be a feature on the 9821. *EDIT* Camera reboots at random. Leaving it alone for a few hours, the lens was in the "home" position and pan speed was again reset.

6.) Most of my recording software titles do not easily understand this new camera yet. I was not able to find any clear documentation online for URL paths to video streams that most applications can accept.

-----------
Additional discoveries as reported in this thread:
-----------

7.) Android app compatibility issues with username/password authentication. (See thread)

8.) The clock has to be reset every time the camera is unplugged. It would be nice if the time could be backed up in memory.

9.) I can only get the camera to email me a snapshot after an alarm is detected, it does not appear to save the snapshot on the SD card. I had to set the time on the clock correctly in order to get email to work. More debug information would be nice when using the "Test" button.

10.) FTP needs to support other protocols such as SFTP. The username will not accept a dash "-" as an acceptable character which seems ridiculous to me as I would not consider that a special character. It would also be nice if the "Test" button would provide more feedback other than "Fail" when a connection can not be established. It's next to impossible to debug FTP problems without a good log file.

11.) DDNS account should not be enabled by default. This is a security risk as other people on the internet could easily hack into the camera if the passwords on the user accounts have not been changed from the blank setting.

12.) FTP support needs to be improved. The camera does not log off of the FTP after sending a snapshot, or clicking the "Test" button. Each time a snapshot is sent, or the "Test" button is pressed, the camera creates a new connection to the FTP server. My FTP enabled router only supports 5 simultaneous connections, so after 5 snapshots, the FTP will not accept any new connections.

13.) Manual video recording has a glitch. When the files are opened with Windows media player, the video resizes after 2-3 seconds. When the video is done playing, media player will not replay the video until it is closed, then re-opened.

14.) Typo in the email body for alarms: Your IPCamera:Front IP:192.168.0.125 detected montion alarm at 2013-1-5 11:48:18

15.) Speaker on camera produces constant hiss. It is quiet, but noticeable.

16.) The camera interface lets you change the "Manual record location" to a custom drive/path rather than the default of "c:\IPCamRecord". HOWEVER... Even after changing this, the camera still writes an INI file to "c:\IPCamRecord\fsIPCamCofing.ini" [SIC] as its way of "remembering" the custom path. Writing folders/files to the ROOT OF C is, ahem, "totally unacceptable".

17.) No way to manage/delete recorded videos on the SD card. Need simple file management routines added to the firmware. Right now, it appears you can only delete old videos by moving the SD to a computer.

18.) No way to view (or manage/delete) snapshots saved to the SD card. Saved snapshots are in a "\IPCamera\<ip_address>\snap" folder on the card, but this cannot be accessed from the camera interaface. Need a way to view (and delete) snapshots on the SD from the camera interface.

19.) Alarm emails all have the same exact subject, "foscam IPCamera" (i.e., no date/time in the subject line as with previous Foscam models). This causes problems for email clients that merge together all mails with same subject into a "conversation". Would like option to add date/time (and camera ID or name) to the subject line.

20.) After an indeterminate number of alarm emails (or perhaps time since reboot), the camera enters an error state where all subsequent alarm emails contain the same date/time, and sometimes the same attachments, as included in the last alarm email sent before the camera entered the error state. As reported by user:

Example: I rebooted the camera at about 17:00. Over the next 3 hours, (16) motion alarms occurred and all had the correct date/time and correct snapshots. But starting with the 17th alarm (and continuing with all subsequent alarm emails until I rebooted again), the emails contained the same date/time AND snapshot attachments from the 16th alarm.

I rebooted again and triggered over 20 more and all the emails were correct, so 16 isn't the magic number. It may be something about the length of time or who knows what. But it is repeatable -- I just haven't determined the specific circumstances yet.

21.) Something with snapshot email attachments is formatted incorrectly. The native iOS email client sometimes doesn't display the attached photos. Gmail (even on iOS) is more forgiving and displays them, but the fact that the native iOS email client doesn't display them indicates some kind of error in formatting/embedding the attachment.

22.) The "FoscamPro" app does NOT support the 9821. Also various mobile compatibility issues.

23.) Email configuration inconsistently reporting success/fail while setting up Gmail account. As noted by user: "When I hit the 'test' button, it sometimes reports 'Success' (and I get an email) and other times it reports 'Fail' (with no email). This is without any change to the other fields. No discernible pattern; sometimes it will show 'Success' several times in a row then 'Fail', and sometimes it will show 'Fail' several times in a row then 'Success'."

24.) Newly released Android app crashes on Nexus 7 after programming camera settings.

25.) [Regarding SDK] For the camera's cruise function, you can define eight maps. The firmware comes with two maps predefined. One map is used to pan the camera in a vertical path and the other horizontal. The hardcoded map name for horizontal has been misspelled as "horizental". This has also been reported as a bug on the web pages but it's important to note that it's also spelled wrong in the SDK code. So if you write your own apps that use the cruise functions (e.g., ptzGetCruiseMapList, ptzGetCruiseMapInfo, ptzDelCruiseMap, ptzStartCruise) you will also need to spell the horizontal map name wrong in your code. If this is corrected in future firmware releases, you'll also need to correct your code appropriately.

Additionally it looks like some of the Cruise functions also take a parameter called "name" in the documentation.

For instance:
/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=ptzGetCruiseMapInfo&name=Horizental&usr=ad
min&pwd=

It seems that the parameter is incorrect in the SDK. The parameter should be "mapName" instead of "name". Using name will cause the function call to return an error.

26.) Needs ability to ftp upload an image every X seconds

Thanks,

G
Last edited by GMaster1 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 am, edited 24 times in total.
GMaster1

Re: FI9821W Issue List

Postby blitzer454 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 am

1.) SD card and recording is working for me as is the alarm settings. Make sure you define the motion area and set the schedule otherwise you won't get any alarms.

2.) I found that I had to enable WPA on my router to get wireless networking to work. WEP by itself does not work. After setting up WPA I was able save the password and unplug the camera and set it up in its new location and it worked when I plugged it back in. However when I scan for networks it does not show the password that I entered, but it obviously saved it.

4.) I concur, I see the same problem.

7.) I can't get the Android app to work. User authentication appears to be failing even though I have the correct username and password.
blitzer454

Postby RichSun » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:30 am

1. Some settings do not seem to work in IE 10. For example, I cannot change the manual recording path and recordings fail when I try to record from IE.

2. The WiFi passphrase cannot contain the & or = symbols.
RichSun

Postby GMaster1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 am

blitzer454 wrote:1.) SD card and recording is working for me as is the alarm settings. Make sure you define the motion area and set the schedule otherwise you won't get any alarms.

I feel foolish -- did not realize the schedule board had to be highlighted. This issue is resolved. Something interesting to note is the record function plays video on the SD card at normal speeds, but the web UI record feature speeds playback up.

2.) I found that I had to enable WPA on my router to get wireless networking to work.

That's interesting -- I did not try WPA or WEP. My networks are all WPA2 based and my troubleshooting stopped at the camera. Am assuming they can resolve that standard encryption in the next firmware update.

Thank you for the input!
GMaster1

Postby blitzer454 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 am

2.) This morning my camera was no longer on the wireless network. I suspect the signal quality on this camera is poor compared to other wireless devices that I own. What good is a security camera if you can't place it at any corner of the house?

8.) The clock has to be reset every time the camera is unplugged. It would be nice if the time could be backed up in memory.

9.) I can only get the camera to email me a snapshot after an alarm is detected, it does not appear to save the snapshot on the SD card. I had to set the time on the clock correctly in order to get email to work. More debug information would be nice when using the "Test" button.

10.) FTP needs to support other protocols such as SFTP. The username will not accept a dash "-" as an acceptable character which seems ridiculous to me as I would not consider that a special character. It would also be nice if the "Test" button would provide more feedback other than "Fail" when a connection can not be established. It's next to impossible to debug FTP problems without a good log file.

11.) DDNS account should not be enabled by default. This is a security risk as other people on the internet could easily hack into the camera if the passwords on the user accounts have not been changed from the blank setting.
blitzer454

Postby GMaster1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Blitzer -- Thank you for the updates and additional discoveries. I am going to add these to my original post to keep Foscam techs organized/updated should they address these concerns. :-)
GMaster1

Postby Leyland384 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Add to the list:

FTP support needs to be improved. The camera does not log off of the FTP after sending a snapshot, or clicking the "Test" button. Each time a snapshot is sent, or the "Test" button is pressed, the camera creates a new connection to the FTP server. My FTP enabled router only supports 5 simultaneous connections, so after 5 snapshots, the FTP will not accept any new connections.

+1 on the homing issue on restart. When using the camera for Motion detection, the camera must go back to the last preset selected.

Manual video recording has a glitch. When the files are opened with Windows media player, the video resizes after 2-3 seconds. When the video is done playing, media player will not replay the video until it is closed, then re-opened.
Leyland384

Postby RichSun » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Typo in the email body for alarms:

Your IPCamera:Front IP:192.168.0.125 detected montion alarm at 2013-1-5 11:48:18
RichSun

Postby GMaster1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Leyland - Excellent find! I was also able to replicate the FTP session issue. I also noticed the playback glitch on VLC player but thought it was my own operating system/application. Didn't do much digging past that.

Rich -- That one made me laugh. Added to the list :-)
GMaster1

Postby LuMax » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Can't logon or access WebGUI?

I just unpacked my brand new FI9821W IP camera.

As seen on router GUI:

IP Address MAC Address
192.168.1.109 00:62:6e:44:XX:XX

I plugged it in (ethernet and power) and I can see it's IP and MAC address assigned on my wired router, but when I put that IP address into IE, Firefox, or Chrome, I get "IE Cannot display the webpage". Same thing on Firefox and Chrome.

I tried using the reset button on the bottom of the new IP camera but that did not help.

Ideas?
LuMax

Next

Return to Technical Support