Foscam Forum • View topic - Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.


Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby herpdeladerp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:25 am

With the new firmware update you are apparently forcing the use of the plugin by not allowing login to the camera's admin interface if it's not detected.

I am using Linux. I view the camera's RTP stream in VLC. I wrote my own CGI to control the camera. I don't need or want the plugin.

When I try to login to the admin interface, I am told "Please relogin after installing the plugins."

Please tell me how I can work around this to login to the admin interface, and please fix it in the next firmware. I don't need you to promise full support for Linux, I just need you to stop forcing the presence of the plugin like with previous firmwares. I can do what I need to do even though all of the features of the WebUI don't work 100% correctly without the plugin.

Every firmware seems to get worse and worse, and gets harder and harder to justify keep using these cameras on our network when you intentionally break things in each release.
herpdeladerp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby herpdeladerp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Please pop up a message that tells the user the WebUI will not function fully correctly without the plugin, but that allows the user to click "Ok" and continue anyway if they want.

This would solve the problem and still tell novice users what they need to know.

Until that gets into a firmware update, I still need a way to login to my cameras' admin interfaces so I can manage them.
herpdeladerp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

You are making the assumption that if somehow a simple change was done to allow the login vs. deny the logon when trying to access the standard camera interface for the H.264 based IP Camera models from a Linux system which could not and does not, have a plugin installed.

That the underlying menus for the standard camera interface would work, afterwards. They never totally worked when using a Linux system as the MJPEG based IP cameras have and do and with the new changes, would not even work as well, as you may have thought they did in the past.

Example:

Improvements:
1)Improve the security of CGI and RTSP.

From:

http://foscam.us/forum/new-firmware-2-x-1-116-released-t11118.html#p53435

Many of the standard camera interfaces menu options access and depend on accessing the plugin. If the plugin is not there and present. Then those menu options will not work or function properly. This includes administrative menu options.

Because of this. It's not as simple as making a change to let you logon and then "All will be well". So you need to provide more details as to exactly what you want changed, with specifics. Because simply not checking for the plugin being installed and allowing the logon would not resolve the other issues with Linux support using the standard camera interface.

This is why in fact. I suggested alternatively, to use the CGI Interface. Because those non-working menu options caused by the plugin not being able to be installed for the standard camera interface when on Linux. Can be properly emulated using CGI commands, instead.

You also make no mention of what Foscam IP Camera models you are using. That said. CGI commands as well as VLC access will still work on Linux. With or without the plugins and without prompts.

Example:

http://107.170.59.150/foscam/FoscamUS.htm

Without more details I suggest trying to use the VLC commands with:

Code: Select all
rtsp://user:password@DDNSorIPAddressForCamera:CamerasPort

Using videoMain, videoSub or audio

Note: If you are using some custom interface to VLC you may need to use Digest Authorization methods when accessing the cameras video streams, which VLC normally supports automatically. By simply using user:password@ in the URL.

Don
TheUberOverLord
 
Posts: 13110
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby herpdeladerp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:38 pm

I am baffled. It's as if you didn't even actually read what I wrote. I even intentionally repeated the phrase "the camera's admin interface" four times expecting that I couldn't possibly be misunderstood if I did so.

Thank you for trying to help, but please re-read my original messages. They spell out very clearly what the problem is.

If you don't understand what I mean when I say "the camera's admin interface", it's the interface you login to as admin to manage the camera's settings.
herpdeladerp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 am

herpdeladerp wrote:I am baffled. It's as if you didn't even actually read what I wrote. I even intentionally repeated the phrase "the camera's admin interface" four times expecting that I couldn't possibly be misunderstood if I did so.

Thank you for trying to help, but please re-read my original messages. They spell out very clearly what the problem is.

If you don't understand what I mean when I say "the camera's admin interface", it's the interface you login to as admin to manage the camera's settings.

1. I read everything your stated. Which was very little. Please re-read my prior post. I state very clearly that the standard camera interface never worked properly with Linux based systems. Even with older firmware and that with the new firmware changes simply allowing the logon to complete won't resolve the issue.

2. You provided absolutely "No Details" of any kind as to:

a. What flavor of Linux?
b. What Foscam IP Camera Model you are using?
c. What version you consider/think is the new firmware update? Since based on camera model it can be different?
d. How you are accessing VLC ("Specifics") like command line and what that command line looks like?
e. How/what you are using to execute your CGI commands?

I don't read minds. I can say however. All of the above work fine for me using the latest firmware for the Foscam H.264 based IP Camera models for any/all CGI commands and VLC video streams on:

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-29-generic i686) Apache/2.4.7

So. I don't have a reading problem for things not present to read.

The Foscam H.264 based IP Camera models never properly supported the standard camera interface on Linux. Even on older firmware versions. Since you still refused to provide virtually ANY details on your issue I have no idea of what your Foscam IP Camera model is. MJPEG or H.264 based.

herpdeladerp wrote: I wrote my own CGI to control the camera. I don't need or want the plugin.

herpdeladerp wrote:I can do what I need to do even though all of the features of the WebUI don't work 100% correctly without the plugin.

You also still have NOT explained what you are trying to use the standard cameras interface for on Linux? If you are using CGI commands and VLC for the cameras video streams. You can emulate anything the standard camera interface does using CGI commands minus video/audio.

The H.264 based camera models never had a Push option like the MJPEG based camera models had. That would allow them to work without the plugin being present. So the standard camera interface never worked correctly on Linux for any H.264 based IP Camera model, even in the past.

It's also possible to formally login to the camera using a CGI command as well:

http://foscam.us/forum/cgi-sdk-for-hd-camera-t6045.html

Don
TheUberOverLord
 
Posts: 13110
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby herpdeladerp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:38 am

I CAN NOT LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE.

The ADMIN INTERFACE is the thing you login to as admin to manage the camera's settings.

The reason why I CAN NOT LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE is because the new firmware update forces a check for the presence of the plugin when attempting to LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE. If it does not detect the plugin, it does not permit you to LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE.

The "flavor" of Linux is irrelevant. You can not install the plugin on anything other than Windows or Mac OS. Because I can not install the plugin that it checks for when you try to LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE, I can not LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE.

The "NEW FIRMWARE" is the NEW FIRMWARE that was released six days ago, in the thread titled "NEW FIRMWARE 2.x.1.116 released". Everyone who speaks English as a first language would "consider/think" this is the NEW FIRMWARE.

Your questions about using VLC and the CGI API are irrelevant because the problem is I can not LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE. The ADMIN INTERFACE is neither VLC nor the CGI API. As I stated: " I view the camera's RTP stream in VLC. I wrote my own CGI to control the camera." That means I do those things NOW. If I do them NOW then they work fine and I don't need you to explain to me how to do that, because I'M ALREADY DOING IT. If you still do not understand what this means, let me know and I'll explain what "NOW" means.

> The Foscam H.264 based IP Camera models never supported the
> standard camera interface on Linux. Even on older firmware
> versions.

As I stated in plain, unambiguous English: "I don't need you to promise full support for Linux, I just need you to stop forcing the presence of the plugin LIKE WITH PREVIOUS FIRMWARES. I can do what I need to do even though all of the features of the WebUI don't work 100% correctly without the plugin. ... Until that gets into a firmware update, I still need a way to login to my cameras' admin interfaces so I can manage them."

This statements seems to very clearly indicate to native English speakers that it DID work in older firmware versions. Do you need me to explain this in greater detail to you? Or are you getting it now?

> You also still have NOT explained what you are trying to use the
> standard cameras interface for on Linux?

I CAN NOT LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE.

The ADMIN INTERFACE is the thing you login to as admin to manage the camera's settings.

The reason why I CAN NOT LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE is because the new firmware update forces a check for the presence of the plugin when attempting to LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE. If it does not detect the plugin, it does not permit you to LOGIN to the ADMIN INTERFACE.

If you STILL can not understand what the problem is, PLEASE STOP RESPONDING. You are NOT helping and just insuring that an actual FOSCAM EMPLOYEE or someone who can ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE PROBLEM will gloss over this.

I repeat: If this is your "HELP" then STOP HELPING ME. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
herpdeladerp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby herpdeladerp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:44 am

Dear ACTUAL FOSCAM STAFF, i.e. NOT UBEROVERLORD:

Please review my problem in the original post.

UberOverLord is more interested in sustaining an argument rather than making a legitimate attempt to engage with another person and understand them.

I have put close to a thousand dollars in your cameras, and with the new firmware update, I am forbidden from logging into them to the admin interface to manage them.
herpdeladerp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 am

herpdeladerp wrote:Dear ACTUAL FOSCAM STAFF, i.e. NOT UBEROVERLORD:

Please review my problem in the original post.

UberOverLord is more interested in sustaining an argument rather than making a legitimate attempt to engage with another person and understand them.

I have put close to a thousand dollars in your cameras, and with the new firmware update, I am forbidden from logging into them to the admin interface to manage them.

Please watch your tone. I am a Moderator in this Forum.

The Forum is a community based Forum. Where camera owners help other camera owners.

While it maybe possible that Foscam could answers you directly here, it's not guaranteed.

If you want or need one on one support please contact your seller directly. If your seller is Foscam.us, please see this:

http://foscam.us/contactus.html

Don
TheUberOverLord
 
Posts: 13110
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby herpdeladerp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:28 am

Please watch your tone.


Hey Don, do you think my tone should be more like the sarcastic, try-not-so-hard person who wrote: "I read everything your stated. Which was very little. I don't read minds. I don't have a reading problem for things not present to read."

Is that the right tone to have? That's actually what I was shooting for. Did I not attain it?

So do you understand what the problem is now that I've said it 13 times in a single message in all caps? Or would you like me to explain how to use the CGI API, or what buttons I like to click in VLC, or what the weather is like, or any thing else that has absolutely no relevance to the problem?
herpdeladerp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Forced plugin means I can't login to camera on Linux.

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:04 pm

herpdeladerp wrote:
Please watch your tone.


Hey Don, do you think my tone should be more like the sarcastic, try-not-so-hard person who wrote: "I read everything your stated. Which was very little. I don't read minds. I don't have a reading problem for things not present to read."

Is that the right tone to have? That's actually what I was shooting for. Did I not attain it?

So do you understand what the problem is now that I've said it 13 times in a single message in all caps? Or would you like me to explain how to use the CGI API, or what buttons I like to click in VLC, or what the weather is like, or any thing else that has absolutely no relevance to the problem?

Here is the issue.

It's clear that there is no support for the H.264 based IP Camera models for the plugins on Linux. The standard camera Interface never properly supported browsers on Linux for the H.264 based IP Cameras. Like the MJPEG based IP Cameras can and do. Simply allowing the logon to take place, won't fix that with the firmware changes. Because the new firmware changes effect the underlying menu options as well.

You say:

herpdeladerp wrote:I can do what I need to do even though all of the features of the WebUI don't work 100% correctly without the plugin

What if only 20% worked correctly and it was not the 20% you heavily used?

What do you want to work? Since you said you don't need 100% of the WebUI to work. What parts of the WebUI do you need want to work. Your stating that you can live without 100% of the WebUI not working. What parts of the WebUI can you not live without? Details please.

So if I am going to ask questions to Foscam developers on your behalf, about your specific issue. I need details. Like, what are you using that's important to you and what percentage less then 100% would work for you vs. no number at all.

I asked important questions. Including. What camera model(s) you have? What you are using that's still in the Standard Camera Interface that you are not using CGI commands for? For good reasons.

I got nothing back but "Screaming Text" about my questions, which included no answers to them.

I suggest you re-read those responses. To date, you still have not answered a single one of them.

As stated. I can only suggest that you contact your seller. If you wish to get one on one support and/or don't wish to provide more details here.

"Screaming Text" without details, won't get you much help anywhere. Details on the other hand, will.

Don
TheUberOverLord
 
Posts: 13110
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Next

Return to Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests