Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

Foscam Dialing Out to Suspect Hosts

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: Foscam Dialing Out to Suspect Hosts

Postby dannyo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Drooler......
As you can see from my cut and paste emails from Foscam is "Sorry"......
A little disconcerting to say the least! You would think that just turning off the P2P function would do the trick but no......maybe a firmware fix suggestion to TRUELY disable would do the trick? My non P2P cameras dont make all these calls!
dannyo

Postby concerneduser » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:44 pm

drooler wrote:Any ideas on a router that has these port filtering capabilities?

pfSense (https://pfsense.org) is a fantastic choice; it is free, open-source, actively maintained and developed, and can run just about anything (FreeBSD can run on) from embedded devices to enterprise-grade hardware.

I would think Foscam would be a bit concerned with all of the network overhead this must be causing if lets say a business is monitoring 30 cameras.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt they give any thought to the user's network resource consumption. This is a company that can't provide satisfactory customer service when their paying customers reach out to them, you really expect them to keep our resource utilization in mind while developing their product(s)? :roll:

Here's one (of many) examples of the absolutely terrible customer service you too can expect from Foscam (in case you haven't yet had the displeasure), http://foscam.us/forum/horrible-customer-service-foscam-t3957.html.
concerneduser

Postby drooler » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Dannyo: I am seeing the issue on the P2P cameras too. No issues with the older cameras. I would like to see them disable the outgoing sessions when P2P is not used. I recall seeing over 30 ports opened for just two cameras when no remote access was being used by me.

Concerneduser: Thanks for the router tip. I will look at it closely. It has been a while since working on enterprise networks but it is coming back. I was a Cisco PIX/Nokia/Check Point engineer/product manager for many years before becoming an ICU nurse several years ago. :lol:

Thanks to all.
drooler

Postby concerneduser » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 am

Wow this forums anti-spam measures are a real pain in the ass....

Here's part one of three:

First Don states (with some degree of certitude, emphasis mine):

TheUberOverlord wrote:They have stated to me, that if all your settings like DDNS, p2p, time syncing with a remote time server and UPnP are truly disabled? That you should not be seeing what you say you are.

This is why they wish to work directly with you to isolate why you are seeing what you are. When they say you should not be seeing what you are. If all the proper camera settings are disabled.
concerneduser

Postby concerneduser » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 am

Part two of three:

But then Foscam states:

dannyo wrote:Here is Fosccam tech support response......
Hi Daniel,

Because of time difference, sorry for the late reply!

Actually, even you have disabled P2P function in camera settings, in the camera mainbord, the camera information still sync with P2P server in case camera enabled P2P settings all of sudden.

In this case, it will give a good experience when view the camera, and P2P server can response to camera timely instead of get delay or data loss, which had bad experience when view camera .

Besides, if you don't want to view the camera outside home network , you can block the 10001 port in your router settings, but in this way , you will not able to view the camera when outside home network.

Have a nice day!

Any problem, please feel free to contact me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your satisfaction is our goal.
Are you satisfied with our service?
Our aim is to provide perfect service,so your suggestions are appreciated.
If you are not satisfied, please e-mail aftersales@foscam.com with your assessment or feedback.

Best Regards
Tina Lu (Ms.)
Customer Service Dep.
Email: tech3@foscam.com
ShenZhen Foscam Intelligent Technology co., Ltd.
Last edited by concerneduser on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
concerneduser

Postby concerneduser » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 am

Part three of three:

This is inane. The (relatively) low price tag is no excuse for Foscam's shortcomings, oversights, and double-talk. For goodness-sake, how do we even know our cameras HTTPS web interface is secure? We're forced to use the Foscam provided certificate and private key, with no option to use our own. What's more? China recently passed a new law requiring tech firms to provide the government with a copy of their private key http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-security-idUSKBN0UA07220151227. Foscam's corporate headquarters and factory are located in Shenzhen, China.
concerneduser

Postby concerneduser » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm watching my pfBlocker DNSBL alerts, and I see an HTTPS request to my DDNS hostname including the full uri. In this case the URI contained my username and password in plaintext. What this means is, anyone in internet land who handles this HTTPS request, can see this information. Even without the need for a private key. There is no HTTPS interception or proxying taking place, the tool simply watches the traffic and derives what it can from the information it sees. Here's the screenshot:
Right-click to open in a new tab

Now I'll be reading up on how to configure nginx to work as a reverse proxy for the Foscam web interface. If/when it's done and sniffing the URI is no longer possible, I will post notes on how to.

I have not had the time to write up a tutorial on how to configure an nginx HTTPS reverse proxy for Foscam, yet. But here's a basic configuration file to get you going: http://simonyun.com/post/42327376569/securing-a-foscam-fi8910w-for-external-access-with
Last edited by concerneduser on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
concerneduser

Postby dannyo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:01 am

I'd be very curious to see how foscam responds......are you sending them any logs? They pay no attention to these forums, this one being foscam.us.
Tks.....
dannyo

Postby kwk1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:07 am

Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without replying to it?
kwk1

Postby zakhooi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 pm

I'd like to know as well.
zakhooi

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support