Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

Free Generic Browser Interface For Foscam IP MJPEG Cameras

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Re: Free Generic Browser Interface For Foscam IP MJPEG Came

Postby H2ans » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:55 am

TheUberOverLord wrote:Is anyone using Sound Detection alarms?

In many camera models, this is available, but I hear little about people actually using this alarm option.

Don

I would love to use audio detection alarms, but unfortunately my camera (FI8910W) does not have this option, or I must have missed it.
In fact, I don't know of any foscam camera that has an audio detection alarm. I made a request to foscam support to include it in a next firmware update.
H2ans

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 am

H2ans wrote:
TheUberOverLord wrote:Is anyone using Sound Detection alarms?

In many camera models, this is available, but I hear little about people actually using this alarm option.

Don

I would love to use audio detection alarms, but unfortunately my camera (FI8910W) does not have this option, or I must have missed it.
In fact, I don't know of any foscam camera that has an audio detection alarm. I made a request to foscam support to include it in a next firmware update.

Please dump/look at your internal camera settings by doing the below:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = Local IP Address or DDNS
#### = Port

When prompted ("You can't use a Chrome browser to do this but any other browser will work, without including a user= and pwd=, see below"). Please enter an Admin User Level Id and password.

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/get_params.cgi

Look for:

var alarm_sounddetect_armed=0;
var alarm_sounddetect_sensitivity=5;

If you see the above values, then you can use sound detection. The option to set sound detection, is not part of the normal UI ("User Interface") for the MJPEG cameras.

But you can turn sound detection on/off, as well as set the sound detection sensitivity, using these commands, from a browser:

To turn on:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:###/set_alarm.cgi?sounddetect_armed=1&sounddetect_sensitivity=5

Note: sounddetect_sensitivity values can be 0-9 which is High to Low. 0 being the highest.

To turn off:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/set_alarm.cgi?sounddetect_armed=0

In both commands you can add a user and pwd option, the value of user= must be an admin level user id and the value of pwd= must be the password for that user id. Without any quotes.

Example:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:###/set_alarm.cgi?sounddetect_armed=1&sounddetect_sensitivity=5&user=admin&pwd=adminpassword

Notes: You should then re-boot the camera or power down/up the camera when you enable sound detection. This allows the camera to re-initialize with a better baseline audio sample to compare any audio changes. You don't need to do this, when you disable sound detection.

When sound detection is enabled, any alarm FTP or Email alarm settings you have enabled, will also receive images during a sound detection alarm. The Email will say "sounddetect alarm at timestamp".

Any alarm schedule that you have setup, will also apply to sound detection alarms. So, if you have enabled/disabled alarms during periods of time, of days, that will not only apply to motion alarms, but will also apply to sound detection alarms.

You can enable sound detection, without any other alarms enabled, such as motion.

This all said, sound dectection is very sensitive, even at the lowest sensitivity of 9.

There are many more false positive sound detection alarms, many more than motion alarm false postives, at any sound sensitivity setting.

Generally, sound detection, should be used only when a camera is located someplace that is always normally extremely quite and nothing like someone walking on their flooor in the above apartment, or mowing the lawn nearby, or playing loud music, or shutting doors hard, can/could happen often.

Even if you have a small window air-conditioner or a ceiling fan that is as far away as 30 feet, if they are running on high. They will trip the sound detection, from time to time. If someone is mowing the lawn nearby, that entire time, they are mowing the lawn, you will be flooded with Email/FTP sound detection alarms notifications.

Sound detection alarm periods are the same as motion alarm periods, they last 60 seconds/1 Minute.

Sound detection, is not available for the H.264 cameras at the moment, but is available, in most MJPEG camera models.

Here is the link back to the top of this thread to get the interface as well as try the demos:

http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-ip-mjpeg-cameras-t2522.html

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby H2ans » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Thank you Don.

Because it's not available in the UI, I figured it was not available.
The 'get_params.cgi' command indeed shows the 'alarm_sounddetect' vars.

I will try this out and play with the sensitivity to see if it fits my need.

Thanks again.
H2ans

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:20 pm

H2ans wrote:Thank you Don.

Because it's not available in the UI, I figured it was not available.
The 'get_params.cgi' command indeed shows the 'alarm_sounddetect' vars.

I will try this out and play with the sensitivity to see if it fits my need.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby MountainMan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am

Hey there Uber. Thanks so much for this!

One quick question. I've got MyFPS set to 34, yet users who are accessing the stream are reporting pretty serious lag, such as 1 frame every 5 to 10 seconds.

I've tried setting it to 67 but that didn't help either. I've tried both cam's resolutions (640x480 and 320x240) but there's no change.

I'm using an 8910 cam. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks so much!
MountainMan

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am

MountainMan wrote:Hey there Uber. Thanks so much for this!

One quick question. I've got MyFPS set to 34, yet users who are accessing the stream are reporting pretty serious lag, such as 1 frame every 5 to 10 seconds.

I've tried setting it to 67 but that didn't help either. I've tried both cam's resolutions (640x480 and 320x240) but there's no change.

I'm using an 8910 cam. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks so much!

You are very welcome.

There are a few things that can impact FPS rates when using this interface:

1. Is the camera in wireless mode?

If so? Have you verified, that your wireless network is not in contention with other wireless networks nearby?

If not you can try this;

http://foscam.us/forum/reboot-problems-a-solution-t2440.html

Even if your wireless network is not in contention with other wireless networks.

Could your cameras be so far away from the Router/AP or have so many obstructions ("Walls, Doors and Windows") that the signal from/to the Router/AP is weak, causing both and or just the camera to do retransmissions of data packets?

Please see this about that;

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8910w-wireless-speed-t2681.html#p12041

Important! Properly adjusting the camera antenna angle can also help gain as much as 50 percent increases in FPS rates. You can use this special version of this interface to do that.

Special Version: http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-mjpeg-ptz-cameras-t2522-10.html#p11577

Suggestions on how to go about this: http://foscam.us/forum/post11772.html

Also, if you are game. Going to WEP encryption for your wireless network, will increase wireless FPS rates as well. Because there is some overhead for the camera to use WPA encryption methods.

Of course, there is a downside with this and that is that WEP encryption can be decoded more easily than WPA encryption can.

2. Is the camera in wired mode?

If so? It's important to be using good quality Cat5e cables and connectors, from/to the camera, If the distance is less than 100 meters.

If/when possible, use 1 cable segment, not multiple Cat5e cables connect together, because each connection causes signal power loss.

The Cat5e cable should not be laying over other cables, especially AC cables.

3. Resolution.

This has a very direct impact on FPS rates.

So, you will need to decide what is most important to you, FPS or image size.

Sadly, you can't have both. Because the CPU/Processor in the cameras cannot deal with that.

Which is one of the reasons the price point is cheaper than other high-end cameras, that can.

The MJPEG cameras specificatons, generally are;

QVGA ("160*120") 30 FPS maximum with a wired connection.

Note: The Standard Camera Interface, in many cases, does not support this resolution, this interface does support this resolution.

VGA ("640*480") 15 FPS maximum with a wired connection.

Since this interface supports infinite-zoom, it becomes more practical to run at a lower resolution especially if the camera is going to be available to the public for viewing and/or controlling.

The down side of this is that any zoom factor does decrease image quality. The upsides are;

1. Less Bytes per month to avoid exceeding and/or paying for exceeding any ISP or data plan maximums.

2. Higher FPS rates even when there are many people viewing the camera at the same time.

3. You can always change the resolution at any time when/if needed based on the configuration options you set and the camera User Id you logon as.

4. Number of people currently viewing the camera.

This interface has no finite limit of people accessing the camera at the same time. The Standard Camera Interface, has a limit of 4 people/connections/logged in users, accessing the camera at the same time.

The number of people viewing the camera at any given moment will have a direct impact on what the FPS will be at that moment.

You may for a test, want to try using the camera with only you connected to see what FPS rate you get, at a specific resolution, and also change resolutions, to see what the FPS rates are for each resolution.

You might get away with simply doing a reboot or power down/up the camera to drop anyone currently connected to the camera to do this test.

Using this interface, you will never reach the QVGA or VGA maximums wired or wirelessly. That said, again, you will not be limited to 4 people/connections/logged in users, accessing the camera at the same time as well.

This interface was created not for maximum FPS rates, but for allowing cameras to be accessed with no finite connection limits at the same time and from any internet browser capable device as well as to support public access from web pages, blogs, social media sites, with and without controls ("Including a subset of the normal operator level controls based on User Id, which you allow") without the need for any device or computer to install anything to do so.

To get the highest possible FPS rate from any MJPEG camera in wired or wireless mode. IMHO, the Super Client, which is located in the tools download area of the Foscam.com web site. It's the best free software to provide this highest FPS rate.

The downside is it's a Windows based application and it cannot run on any other computers or devices.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby H2ans » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 am

Just wanted to let you know that the audio detection works as expected. Thank you again!

The sensitivity also works very well on my camera and does not seems to be extremely sensitive on all levels. With very high sensitivity, even the smallest sounds triggers the alarm, but on lowest sensitivity, I had to crank up my stereo to make the alarm trigger.
So it works as expected.
H2ans

Postby H2ans » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:20 pm

What is the maximum fps that you get with this script for 640x480 resolution?
I can't seem to get anything better than 2 - 2.5 fps, even when connected locally.
Is this normal? Limitation of the snapshot refresh method?

When I connect to videostream.cgi, I get max fps.
H2ans

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:26 pm

H2ans wrote:What is the maximum fps that you get with this script for 640x480 resolution?
I can't seem to get anything better than 2 - 2.5 fps, even when connected locally.
Is this normal? Limitation of the snapshot refresh method?

When I connect to videostream.cgi, I get max fps.

Depends on your setup, wired, wireless ("9db Antenna vs. standard 3db antenna") as well as many other factors if you are in wireless mode.

Please see these:

http://foscam.us/forum/free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-ip-mjpeg-cameras-t2522-20.html#p12679

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8910w-randomly-missing-photos-in-email-alerts-t2846.html#p12899

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8910w-randomly-missing-photos-in-email-alerts-t2846.html#p12899

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby H2ans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 am

TheUberOverLord wrote:Depends on your setup, wired, wireless ("9db Antenna vs. standard 3db antenna") as well as many other factors if you are in wireless mode.

In wired mode, directly connected to the router.

I was just wondering what the max fps is that you - as the creator of the script- can get with the script. So I can see that what I get is normal or that something might be wrong with my setup.
H2ans

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion