Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

FTP Problems

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

FTP Problems

Postby jfp94610 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:55 am

Attempting to configure FTP on my FI8608W (f/w V3.2.1.1.1-20111115).

When I am in "FTP Settings", enter my FTP Server configuration and attempt to apply, my configuration settings disappear. Rebooted, same result. Why isn't it saving? Verified my settings through Filezilla.

Also, when I select "Save Video on the FTP Server " in Alarm Settings, the tick box for "Save Video on the SD card" automatically gets selected. I don't have an SD card installed. When I attempting to deselect it, and apply - the tick box is automatically selected again. What gives?
jfp94610

Re: FTP Problems

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am

jfp94610 wrote:Attempting to configure FTP on my FI8608W (f/w V3.2.1.1.1-20111115).

When I am in "FTP Settings", enter my FTP Server configuration and attempt to apply, my configuration settings disappear. Rebooted, same result. Why isn't it saving? Verified my settings through Filezilla.

Also, when I select "Save Video on the FTP Server " in Alarm Settings, the tick box for "Save Video on the SD card" automatically gets selected. I don't have an SD card installed. When I attempting to deselect it, and apply - the tick box is automatically selected again. What gives?

In order to use FTP functions with any of the H.264 based cameras. You will need a SD memory card.

This is because the cameras first writes the images to the SD memory card so that if for whatever reason, the camera lost internet access, it can copy the images from the SD memory card to the FTP location at a later time.

So, this is why you are seeing what you are seeing. Because of this you cannot enable FTP camera functions properly, without first having a SD memory card in the SD card slot.

From page 34 below: "Save Video on the FTP Server: To upload videos to an FTP server when motion is detected. The camera must have plugged SD card,or else you cannot save videos to FTP server because the camera will save videos to SD card first and then the videos on the SD card loads videos to FTP server."

Please see page 34 here: http://foscam.com/Private/ProductFiles/FI8608W%20user%20manual-20120401.pdf

The SD memory card will also need to be properly formatted, which the camera will do, but it may take sometime to do so, depending on the size of the memory, on the SD memory card. The SD memory card can be as large as 32 GB but can be as small as 1 GB as well.

IMHO, I would get at least a class 6 SD memory card. I prefer class 10 SD cards. The class of the SD card is the rating of how many MB ("Mega Bytes") per second that a SD memory card is rated at. A class 6 is rated at 6 MB per second, a class 10 is rated at 10 MB per second.

More here about SD memory card class ratings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Brick and Mortar stores generally will charge high prices per GB vs. online stores.

Online Stores offer around 1 dolllar maximum per GB is a good rule of thumb. Generally in 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 GB SD memory card sizes.

A 32 GB SD memory card most likely is overkill. A 16 GB card would be a good size to use. Even a 8 GB SD memory card will do if you access the camera regularly, say once every two-three days to delete files and have few motion alarms. Say less than 5 motion alarms per day.

It's also very important to use a trusted source to purchase from. For example there are ("Fake") SD memory class ratings and even SD memory card GB sizes by some eBay sellers. So please don't get taken by price alone.

Good 8 - 32 GB SD memory class 10 cards can be found for a maximum of 8 - 32 U.S. dollars respectively. More pricey does not equal better in most cases as long as you purchase from a trusted source.

Example: Brick and Mortar Store ("Most of these > 4GB, won't be in stock at your local store. Maybe 1 or 2 of them shown on the online web site will be and they won't be the cheaper ones generally"):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-70988131583027295&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=SD+memory+cards+class+10&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&qp=&list=n&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Example Online Store:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?sts=ma&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&N=0&srtclk=sort&Ntt=SD+card+class+10

The reason why I stick with a class 10 SD card vs. class 6, is that I don't want the camera bogged down waiting on any for images or video writes to the SD card. The higher the class of the SD card, the faster that data can be written to the SD card and is one less thing that can slow down the camera from doing the jobs it needs to do, especially during alarm periods.

So the difference between a class 6 and a class 10 SD card is a 40 percent increase of performance and the price difference between a class 6 and class 10 rating is not that much.

Note: I also write software for and sell many types of the DV/DVR hidden video cameras available, that are embedded in cigarette lighters, pens, USB sticks, clocks and keychain devices. Which all require and use SD memory cards. So highest performance at low cost, has always been important for me when it comes to SD cards:

Example.png
Example.png (33.49 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

So I personally know the impacts that low performance SD cards can have with video cameras of all kinds, including but not limited to IP video cameras and I have tested about 100 different SD cards with special performance and size verification software and about 40 percent of the 100 or so different class 4 and class 6 SD cards from different sources and brands, that I have tested, did not meet their class 4 or class 6 ratings, when I have tested them, from non-trusted sources.

Whereas all the class 10 SD cards from trusted sources, did live up to their class 10 ratings.

So much like there are many IP cameras that look the same, there are even more SD cards that look the same, but are not always the same no matter what the outside says or looks like.

Don
:?: Click on these quick links for HELP with your cameras: :!:
View Cameras On ANY Device: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Wireless Camera Setup Test and Tweak Camera Setup
About Me All of the above tools are FREE! :shock:
TheUberOverLord

Postby ervinolsen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I have a foscam FI9820W V3.2.6.1.1-20120807.
Im not able to upload to ftp.

1. I have a 4 gb sdcard formatted with the cam, mounted.
i can access the card, see the files.

2 i have a ftp account with my webhotel, that i can access with filezilla client, i can read-write-delete.
I have tryed all combinations in the path-box in the Ftp settings.

./camfiles, camfiles, ./
it spooks me a bit that the default value is ./ (dot slash)
usealy ita a / (slash) for the root.
Ervin
ervinolsen

Postby jfp94610 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Found a 4 GB SDHC card rated 10. Formatted fine.

Using the Foscam Web interface, I can access pictures and video on the card; however, they are not transferring to my FTP server. Is there an error log somewhere in the camera to see what's going on? My path to my FTP server is "./volume_1/foscam". Is this the correct syntax using an initial period before the backslash?

Should I be able to FTP into the camera? I get an error when I attempt to access using my admin pw - "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Thank you in advance.
jfp94610

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 am

jfp94610 wrote:Found a 4 GB SDHC card rated 10. Formatted fine.

Using the Foscam Web interface, I can access pictures and video on the card; however, they are not transferring to my FTP server. Is there an error log somewhere in the camera to see what's going on? My path to my FTP server is "./volume_1/foscam". Is this the correct syntax using an initial period before the backslash?

Should I be able to FTP into the camera? I get an error when I attempt to access using my admin pw - "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Thank you in advance.

There is a hidden system log and there is an access log.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = Local IP Address or DDNS
#### = Port

You can view the system log by doing this:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/web/syslog.html

You can view the access log by doing this:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/web/accesslog.html

There is no port 21 FTP access to the camera itself, with the standard firmware.

Don
:?: Click on these quick links for HELP with your cameras: :!:
View Cameras On ANY Device: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Wireless Camera Setup Test and Tweak Camera Setup
About Me All of the above tools are FREE! :shock:
TheUberOverLord

Postby jfp94610 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:55 am

The logs don't show why the IP Camera (FTP Client) is unable to transfer files to my FTP server.

My configuration is very simple e.g., internal home network, access and permissions on my FTP server verified via filezilla, port 21, etc.

Any thoughts on why the camera won't FTP to my server?

When I configure the alarm to "Save Video on the FTP Server" it automatically selects "Save Video on the SD card". I cannot deselect "Save Video on the SD card". I would like the SD card to simply act as a cache before sending to the FTP server; otherwise, I would need to delete them. If that's not the case, how do I remotely delete files from the SD card?
jfp94610

Postby Fosbert » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:33 pm

I just setup FTP, Alarm and Motion Detection all without a SD card installed in my camera. The FI9820W's FTP service appears to be saving photos over the internet and back to my local server using my DDNS address. I'm running the latest firmware on my FI9820W. Ensure you have a good path set and the correct port set and it should go smoothly. I'll go into more detail if needed but I noticed the SD card is no longer needed for the 9820's and wanted to clear that up.

Also the settings will force the "Save to SD" option but it doesn't seem to matter without an SD card installed.
Fosbert

Postby hmrp » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:56 am

People with ftp transfer problems - if possible, try to set up your ftp server without a welcome message or motd.

The support team is informed and I hope they are trying to fix this.
hmrp

Postby jfp94610 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm

I have configured the camera (ftp client) with the FTP server address, port number, user name, and password. Passive Mode is “on” and my path is “./Volume_1/Foscam”. Note starting period before backslash.

This configuration (permission and path) have been verified by accessing the FTP server through Filezilla.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 1 of 2 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 11:58. Server port: 4566.
Response: 220-This server supports FXP transfers
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Command: USER john
Response: 331 User john OK. Password required
Command: PASS ********

My FTP server is running on a D-Link DNS-323. There is a welcome message I am unable to suppress.

The alarm setting on the camera have “Save Video on the FTP Server” and “Save Video on the SD card” selected. I am unable to deselect “Save Video on the SD card”. When I attempt to deselect it and apply, it gets selected again. Note the “Save Video on the SD card” selection occurs whether or not I have the SD card installed.

I am out of ideas of having the camera ftp videos to my server. The camera logs don’t tell me anything about the problem. BTW, I have a wireless configuration, getting pictures to my gmail account works fine and I am able to remotely access the camera via DynDNS.
jfp94610

Postby averageJoe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:55 am

I have the exact same issue when trying to FTP wirelessly.

FTP works perfectly when wired, but does not work on wireless.

FI9820w and WD Mybook Live NAS.
Class 6 8gb SDcard

The odd thing is, sometimes, I can cycle power to the NAS, camera, router, and the wireless FTP will work for about 10 mins, but once motion detection stops for a while, the camera will not wirelessly FTP anymore, no matter what i do. Restarting the NAS ftp server doesnt work. As mentioned the logs do not give any clue as to why the camera stops FTPing. Anther random reboot sequence of all the devices may allow it to work again for a few mins, but it will eventually, without fail, stop wireless FTPing.

I have messed with settings for almost 2 weeks now trying to get this to work. I've tried removing the banner via ssh on the NAS and setting the data timeouts high and low. Nothing seems to work, the wireless FTP will eventually stop and no NAS settings changes help. I do not have any concrete method to get it to work again, the restarts of the nas, camera, router doesn't always work either.

Emails alerts work just fine and remote viewing works as well, on both wired and wireless. Recording to the SD card always works as well, on both wired and wireless.

When I finally give up on getting the wireless ftp to work again, i plug it back into the wired internet, do a reboot of the camera only, and FTP works perfectly again with no other changes.

I want another one of these cameras, but I am hesitant to purchase another to this problem with the wireless FTP.
averageJoe

Next

Return to Technical Support