Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

GMX email provider NOT working, what are you using?

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

GMX email provider NOT working, what are you using?

Postby brian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi,
I recently purchased a FOSCAM F18908W, operating on:
Device Firmware Version 11.14.2.17
Device Embeded Web UI Version 2.4.8.14

I've tried to configure the device, in countless ways, to send photos using the free email service, GMX.com...everytime, the camera fails when clicking "test"...I get a "server error" message. I know it is NOT a GMX problem, because I have two different devices using the smtp function at GMX and they are working perfectly.

Has anyone else gotten gmx.com to work on their foscam?

If not, what free smtp service are you using?
thanks.
Brian

P.S. I'll save you sometime on another issue I solved...Do not use special characters in your WPA passwords...the FOSCAM cam will not authenticate with those special symbols. I was using a "#" and it wasn't until I removed the "#", did the foscam authenticate to my network.
brian

Re: GMX email provider NOT working, what are you using?

Postby brian » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 am

This camera is a POS for email setup; they might as well remove the feature as it DOES NOT work in the US.

I have tried:
* GMX.com
* mediacombb.net

It would be immensely helpful, if we could see the error message being returned....Ya know, something like:
* server port not supported
* bad password/user id

Further, it's clear, that since I have other devices using GMX.com, Foscam has a problem in their firmware. It sure would be helpful if they would fix this.
Brian
brian

Postby admin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:35 am

The email service does not work with any free email providers. You have to use a paid service such as the email that comes with your internet service or if you have a website, your webhosting provider.

Contact your ISP and ask them for your SMTP server address and port, username and password. It will work using that. We have hundreds of customers who have successfully setup the email feature.

Also, please be sure you have purchased a genuine Foscam as the fakes obviously will not work. If you did buy a genuine Foscam and would like help setting up the email, please send a mail to support@foscam.us
Best Regards,
The Team at Foscam.us
admin@foscam.us
sales@foscam.us
support@foscam.us
admin
Admin

Postby savage40 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Well after setting up port forwarding on my paid comcast account I too can no longer recieve email alerts.. I could PRIOR to port forwarding... but not now.. I sent Tech support snap shots of my email settings as well as other snap shots they requested... (firm ware is current.. just bought these last week) but they still have no answer.. any ideas?
savage40

Postby brian » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Support-

Mediacom is my ISP...they provide a email account with SMTP support.

Please fix the email functionality. The posters in this forum would indicate there is a demand for properly working email functionality!
Brian
brian

Postby admin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Make sure you CLICK SUBMIT to save it to the camera BEFORE you click on test.

Also, please ensure you buy cameras from our website as the clones from Ebay and Amazon will not work.
Best Regards,
The Team at Foscam.us
admin@foscam.us
sales@foscam.us
support@foscam.us
admin
Admin

IS WORKIN! Re: GMX email provider NOT working, what are you

Postby brian » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Special thanks to JOEM! I was able to get my cam working with GMX.com

my specific settings for anyone trying it:
Sender blahblah@gmx.com
Receiver 1 anyoneonthewholeplanet@gmx.com
SMTP Server mail.gmx.com
SMTP Port 587
Need Authentication Y
SMTP User blahblah@gmx.com
SMTP Password (I used a password with letters and numbers...no special characters)

1. Click SUBMIT
2. Then, click TEST

Thanks everyone for debugging this.
Brian
brian

Postby flowersrj » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Admin,

Rather than say it does not work with various email settings, how about being helpful and explain why it does not work. Even some excuse like your software developers are not very skilled would be better than nothing at all or it was designed that way on purpose. :(

Thanks,
Rich
flowersrj

failed to connect to devise : illegal params

Postby ninerzzzz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 am

Hi, i recently purchased Foscom fi8908w security camera, I want to be able to view this camera wirelessly eventually, but I cannot even get it to view hard wired to my linksys wrt54gs router, I can see the web address of the camera through the camera software, and when i doulble click it the sign screen comes up, and i sign in, but when it goes to the command software a black error screen pops up in front of the software screen saying failed to connect to devise : illegal paramaters? I x out the error screen and the software is there but no view of the camera and no functions of the command software. the camera will reset itself every time i try to do this and it has a green fashing led light? what could be the problem? thanks for any help very for a frustated customer!
ninerzzzz

Postby gingerbread » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 am

Whether or not you like AOL, I've found that it works out of the box with my foscam FI8918W.

Mail Service Settings

Sender: emailexample@aol.com
Receiver 1: EmailICheckRegularly@gmail.com
Receiver 2:
Receiver 3:
Receiver 4:
SMTP Server: smtp.aol.com
SMTP Port: 587
Need Authentication: yes (box is checked)
SMTP User: emailexample
SMTP Password: *******

I think before getting so angry about not being successful with the setup process, you first should truly explore your options as there are many available to you...rather than exploring only two.

Agreed, there are some functionality issues, however I believe that's what firmware updates are for. And for the money, Foscam provides perhaps the best bang for your buck.

Either way, I'm glad you got it working.
gingerbread

Next

Return to General Discussion