Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Help recording continuous video.

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Help recording continuous video.

Postby Brownell639 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm pretty computer literate but when it comes to servers, programming, command propmts, etc. I don't know a whole lot. I just got a FI8918W and I've already found I can only access certain features in IE and not Firefox/Chrome/Etc.

My goal is to set the camera so it constantly records to my hard drive for an allotted period of time (either 12 hours or 24 hours probably...I have several hundred gigs of space available so it should be fine) and to have it write over the oldest data on the recording once it reaches that allotted time. The goal is that, in the event I find out something happened I can stop the recording and it should have the last 12 or 24 hours saved so I can go back and review it. Any ideas? Thanks.
Brownell639

Re: Help recording continuous video.

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Brownell639 wrote:I'm pretty computer literate but when it comes to servers, programming, command propmts, etc. I don't know a whole lot. I just got a FI8918W and I've already found I can only access certain features in IE and not Firefox/Chrome/Etc.

My goal is to set the camera so it constantly records to my hard drive for an allotted period of time (either 12 hours or 24 hours probably...I have several hundred gigs of space available so it should be fine) and to have it write over the oldest data on the recording once it reaches that allotted time. The goal is that, in the event I find out something happened I can stop the recording and it should have the last 12 or 24 hours saved so I can go back and review it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Please see these:

You can look at the .hta ("HTML Application") source code and get an idea of what it is doing. The same methods could be used to record video at will, for a fixed period of time, once started. Whereas this is doing just that, but the fixed period of time starts when the camera alarms:

free-mjpeg-ip-camera-record-video-with-audio-on-alarms-t3431.html#p15874

This is more on how to use VLC to do what you want to do in a manual with human intervention method. The first link above is also using VLC as well, but without human intervention:

a-how-to-for-mjpeg-cameras-use-vlc-to-play-and-record-video-t3870.html#p18278

Example after you have installed the VLC Media player from here http://www.videolan.org/:

You can create a shortcut that looks like this for a 32 bit based Windows system:

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" http://192.168.1.110:90/videostream.asf?user=UserName&pwd=Password --qt-start-minimized --no-qt-notification --run-time=30 :demux=dump :demuxdump-file=MyCamera1.asf vlc://quit

A 64 bit based Windows system would be like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" http://192.168.1.110:90/videostream.asf?user=UserName&pwd=Password --qt-start-minimized --no-qt-notification --run-time=30 :demux=dump :demuxdump-file=MyCamera1.asf vlc://quit

Note: Both examples are really 1 line, the forum is displaying them as more than 1 line. If you do a "Select All" and then copy/paste you will see that.

You would replace the IP Address and port with yours, which could be your DDNS as well. You would replace "UserName" and "Password" with a valid username and password for your camera, you would replace "30" with the total number of seconds you wish to record before stopping. The example, will record video with audio when started for 30 seconds. You can change "MyCamera1.asf" to be the filename of your choice as well, but if must end with .asf

When you create the shortcut, please clear/blank out the "Start In" field, you may need to right-click on the shortcut after it has been created and then choose properties to do this. The recorded video, with audio in this case, would be located in the folder where the shortcut is located and the name will be "MyCamera1.asf ".

When you use the shortcut, it will start to record video with audio for the number of seconds you specify, in your case simply take the number of seconds per hour * hours.

A VLC Icon will be present in your system tray, while the recording is taking place and go away, when the recording is finished.

You can then right-click on the "MyCamera1.asf" file name created for the recording and choose "Open With" VLC to play it.

You can right click on the VLC Icon at anytime and choose "Quit" to stop the recording and then look at the recording, using the method above.

There is NO need to have the standard camera interface running to use this method.

Note: If "MyCamera1.asf" exists, it will be overwritten using the same filename each time.

For a list of ALL the possible VLC command line options available, please see this:

http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help

There are also two other optional parameters you can pass with "videostream.asf" besides "user=" and "pwd=", they are "resolution" and "rate" you can also pass a value of 2 as a resolution ("Not documented") for a 160*120 resolution as well:
Grammar:/videostream.asf[?user=&pwd=&resolution=&rate=]
Param:
resolution:image resolution(8:320*240,32:640*480)
rate:image data translate speed,value rang 0-23
0:full speed
1:20 fps
3:15 fps
6:10 fps
11:5 fps
12:4 fps
13:3 fps
14:2 fps
15:1 fps
17:1 fp/2s
19:1 fp/3s