Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

How to Set up Foscam FI8918 with Apple Airport Extreme

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

How to Set up Foscam FI8918 with Apple Airport Extreme

Postby fredfx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm posting this as a service because it was kind of tough for me to find, but worked beautifully. Thanks to Robtk for the original post.

Airport Extreme FI8908W Setup
by Robtk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:51 am

This is a step-by-step guide to setting up the Foscam FI8908W and Airport Extreme router. The Airport Extreme is Version 7.5.1 and the Airport Utility is Version 5.5.1. As you probably know by now, the camera manual sucks. You might want to take a look at Foscam's FI8918 manual. The software is similar to the FI8908W so it might give you some answers to your questions.

Overview

What we're going to do here is prepare the Airport Extreme to operate nicely with the FI8908W. The IP addresses we'll be dealing with are the LAN (Local Area Network) IP's assigned by the Airport. We won't need the WAN IP address of the router unless you want to access your system from the Internet. The router needs to be set up as an "Open Network", meaning it's broadcasting its SSID. Your encryption set to "WPA/WPA2 Personal". Remember the difference between the Airport Extreme's name (The name of the router) and the Network Wireless Name. (SSID) (the camera needs this name to connect to the router)

The camera needs a static IP address, not an address assigned by the router. It needs various IP addresses inputted that you'd get from the router. The port is 80. Remember when you go from Ethernet to Wireless mode to unplug the power supply cord and wait about a minute before plugging it back in. Repeat if you need to. And if you totally lock up the camera, you can do a hard reset. Push Reset button at bottom of camera for at least 20 seconds. Watch your typing and beware of typos and misspellings!! OK, lets go.

Step-By-Step Guide to Setting Up FI8908W with Airport Extreme

1) Find and download the program "IP Scanner" from Versiontracker or Cnet Downloads and install on your Mac. If you have a Windows machine, the camera comes with a program that will do the same thing.

2) Connect the camera by Ethernet cable to your Airport Extreme router and connect the cameras power supply cable and plug it in. The camera SHOULD start to move and the green light in front starts blinking.

3) Load the Airport Utility on your Mac, which is located in Applications/Utilities. Click "Manual Setup". You are in the "Summary" page. Make note of the "Wireless Network Name". Make note also of the "IP Address". This is your WAN IP address. It's the address the outside Internet world sees. You'll need this if you want to view your camera on the Internet.

4) Click "Wireless". Wireless Security should be set to "WPA/WPA2 Personal". If not, change it. Make sure you know your Wireless Network's password.

5) Click "Wireless Network Options". Make sure "Create a Closed Network" is unchecked. Click "Done". The Foscam camera can only see open networks. Meaning the SSID name of your network router is broadcast in the clear.

6) Click "Internet" at top. Click "TCP/IP". Make note of "Subnet Mask". (Example: 123.456.789.1) and DNS Server.

7) Click "DHCP". Make note of DHCP Ending Address. You're done with the router for the moment.

8) OK. Run "IP Scanner" on your Mac. (Your camera should still be connected to the router and powered on.) Don't forget to hit "Start"! Take note of the IP address of your Airport Router. This is its LAN IP address. You should see all the IP addresses of every device on your router. One is labeled "Unknown" or "Anonymous". That's your camera. Take note of that IP address. (All IP's listed are LAN IP addresses assigned by the router's DHCP Server.) If you double click on its name, a menu will pop up allowing you to make up a name for that connection. Example: Camera1.

9) Open web browser and type in that IP address. This gets you to the Log in page of the camera. Click Login for Firefox. Default User name is "admin" with no password. Click "Device Management".
10) Click "Alias Setting". Create a name you want to call your camera. (Example: Camera1, Cam1, etc.) Click "Submit". You can set your "Date and Time" and "User Settings" (user names and passwords) after you get everything else working.

11) Click "Basic Network Settings". What we're going to do is give your camera a Static IP Address. Uncheck box that reads "Obtain IP from DHCP Server" and fill in the blanks with the following:

12) IP Address: Remember when you made a note of the DCHP ending address in the Airport Extreme router? (Step 7) Chose an IP address PAST the end of the DCHP ending address range. (Example: if the ending address is 123.456.789.200, chose 123.456.789.201 and on up.) This IP address you chose will be your cameras Static IP Address.

13) Next, type in the "Subnet Mask" IP you noted in "TCP/IP and DNS Server IP". (Step 6)

14) OK. Very important. Under "Gateway" type in the Airport Extreme's LAN IP address you noted on the "IP Scanner" software. (Step 8)

15) Finally, the HTTP Port is 80. Click "Submit" and the camera should reboot. Wait until the camera goes through its reboot process of moving up and down and sideways.

16) Back to your browser. Type in the camera's NEW Static IP Address and you should be back to the Log in page of your camera. Log back in. Congrats!

17) Next, we'll set up your camera for wireless operation. You'll need to know your Airport Extreme router's network password. Once you're logged into your camera, click on "Wireless LAN Settings".

18) Click "Scan". If nothing shows up, wait a minute and click "Scan" again. Your Airport router's Network Wireless Name (SSID) should show up. This is assuming you have set up your wireless network correctly in Step 4. Your routers Network Wireless Name (SSID) along with any other wireless system in your area should be listed. It's IMPORTANT that it shows up. If its not there, make sure the Airport is set to open network in Step 5. Still not there, pull power from camera and reboot and go through Step 17 again. Watch for TYPO'S and misspellings. Click on your routers Network Wireless Name and the SSID Box should automatically fill in with your routers name and the Encryption Box should automatically have all your security information filled in. If you picked "WPA/WPA2 Personal" in your Airport, the camera encryption should be listed as "WPA Personal (TKIP). Under "Share Key", type in Airport's network password. Click "Submit" and camera reboots.

19) After the camera reboots, log in again with your browser. (You should be getting used to this step by now!) If everything is fine, its time to go wireless!

20) Pull the power plug from your camera and disconnect the Ethernet cable. Wait a minute then plug the power back into your camera. Camera goes through its boot up process.

21) Back to your browser. Type in your camera's static IP address. You SHOULD get back to your camera's log in page. You should be good to go! (If not, repeat Step 20. Still have problems? Reconnect Ethernet cable, log in again to camera, THEN repeat Step 20.)

22) If you've got this far, feel free to go back to "User Settings" and "Date and Time" and set those up at your leisure. Remember to make note of any passwords you create!

23) Finally, if you want to access your camera on the Internet, first you'll need to set up a web address at Dyndns.com. You'll create a web address that will connect to your router and through that, your camera. You'll just type in a URL and there is your camera. All the documentation you need is on that website. Note: You'll need your Airport's WAN IP Address. Another way of finding that out is to go to "whatismyip.com".

24) Open up your Airport Utility again. We're going to set up Port Mapping. From your Main Screen, Click "Advanced". Click "Port Mapping". Click "+". Under "Choose a Service" pick "Personal Web Sharing". The Public and Private TCP ports should be 80.

25) Under "Private IP Address" fill in with your cameras Static IP Address you gave it. Click "Continue". Under "Description" enter a name for this. Example: "Camera1 Wireless". Click "Done". Click "Update". Airport Extreme reboots. You're done!

26) Go to your browser and type in your dyndns.com's web address. There's your camera. Enjoy!
Robtk
fredfx

Re: How to Set up Foscam FI8918 with Apple Airport Extreme

Postby AllenJ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 am

My Airport Extreme shows up as 10.0.1.1 and my Foscam shows up as 10.0.1.6

Can this be right? How could this work?

When the ethernet cable is plugged in, the browser goes to 10.0.1.6 and gets the camera software. When camer is unplugged, just Wifi, there is nothing. IP Scan shows nothing there.

Any suggestions or a place to turn to for help?
AllenJ

Postby AllenJ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:26 pm

I've carefully gone through the above. The first 20 steps work fine. The new static IP address of the camera is 10.0.1.201

However, step 21 does not work. Without the ethernet cable, the camera cannot be seen wirelessly. you cannot use the browser to access the camera. In addition, when you run IPSCAN, the camera does not show up. I've repeated step 20. I've also reconnected the ethernet cable and gone back through the settings which have all taken effect successfully, then repeated step 20 twice. No luck. The above instructions do not work to make the camera run wirelessly.

I recall seeing in some other blogs on other sites that the camera had two MAC addresses, one for wireless and one for ethernet cable and that some people found a solution related to this. However, none of the steps above involve inputting either MAC address so I'm clueless what to do with this piece of information.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
AllenJ

Postby AllenJ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

I may have found the problem -- defective camera. Before boxing up my two cameras to return, I thought I would try the above procedure on the unopened camera. Whammo - it worked and I completed the above in 5 minutes. I've tried rebooting and it still works. O.k. so on to step 22 and getting a web address. I'm just excited that I can access camera through wireless now! Now I just have to send one camera back.

This also may explain the very odd bifurcation in reviews -- Judging from reviews, Foscam may have a problem with 10-20% of their cameras not operating properly in wireless mode.

AJ
AllenJ

Postby Aremac » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:52 pm

You have to make sure that your Airport Extreme is running in wireless b/g mode and not wireless N. That is a missing step that is not enunciated in the above tutorials.

Regarding defective rate, the rate of failure for Foscam cameras is less than 2%. However, the return rate by customer is around 10% due to customer's inability to setup the camera. This is partly due to the incomplete manual as well as the variety and complexity of routers on the market.
Aremac

Postby 04Fun » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 pm

I have set up my camera but can't get any audio to come in . I have downloaded the audio program that they suggest for macs. do you have any ideas?
04Fun

Postby spudmanj » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm

****** This is a different set of instructions if the first set does not work*****

So I have a Time Machine (1st ten) running Airport 7.6.3 (current version Jan 2013), not the airport extreme so I don't know if that makes a difference. My issue was that when I would enter the subnet mask numbers from the Airport menu and tried to set up the static IP address I kept getting the error of invalid subnet mask. So my solution that worked super great is below.

--Router Settings--

**under the "internet" tab leave the "connect using:" box on "DHCP"**
1) Enter the airport settings from your mack utilities folder
2) Go to the Network page and under "Router Mode" I have it set to DHCP and NAT, (If I tried to change to DHCP only it was requesting me to set my own Static IP, which I would have to work with Comcast to obtain. . . just not worth it).
3) click the "+" button to add a new item to the "DHCP Reservations:" field.
4) Put whatever name you want for "Description"
5) Set "Reserve Address By:" to "MAC Address"
6) Enter the MAC address from the bottom of the camera into "MAC Address:" field.
7) Either leave the automatically generated IP in the "IPv4 Address:" box or change it to one you prefer.

--Camera Settings--
1) Get to the "Basic Network Settings" tab on the camera menu
2) LEAVE "OBTAIN IP FROM DHCP SERVER" BOX CHECKED
3) I put the "HTTP Port" on 80 as instructed previously
4) Submit

5) get to the "Wireless Lan Settings" in the camera menu
6) walk through the steps to select your network and input pasword. etc. etc.
7) As a note I the auto selected "Network Type" of "Infra" worked but the software automatically selected "WPA Personal (TKIP + AES)" for the "Encryption" section and I changed it to "WPA Personal (TKIP)"

--DONE--

Then set up the wireless setting on the Foscam as directed. Unplug the Ethernet cable and next thing you know the camera will connect with Wifi and pick up the assigned IP address.
spudmanj

Return to General Discussion