Foscam Forum • View topic - How to turn off the camera?

Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

How to turn off the camera?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

How to turn off the camera?

Postby rfresh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 pm

There are times when I want to just turn off the camera. Is there a way to do from the admin control panel?

Thanks...
rfresh

Re: How to turn off the camera?

Postby mycam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:20 am

No,I think just close the interface is ok.
mycam
Admin

Postby rfresh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 am

The problem with that is other folks who can login can still see the camera view. I have some family members who can login so I'd like to control the video view as the admin.
rfresh

Postby donked » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 pm

only option is either to deny them access in the cameras settings (eg change password perhaps) or turn the camrera off at the wall until required (it will boot back up remembering all your settings)

or seeings as your a port fowarding god now - you could just put a incorrect port in your router settings and put the correct one back in once your happy for WAN access again I guess - A few ways to skin the cat as it were lol
donked

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 pm

rfresh wrote:There are times when I want to just turn off the camera. Is there a way to do from the admin control panel?

Thanks...

OK, this is going to get very, very deep. But, there is no way to avoid it.

The answer is yes, this can be done, but there is no standard User Interface in most cases, to do it.

There is a feature in the cameras, called forbidden. It has a schedule, much like the alarm schedule.

Basically, this hidden feature of the cameras, allows you to schedule, in fifteen minute time slices, per day, when the camera should have video and audio disabled.

You can create two shortcuts containing the links below. Even three shortcuts, if you want to verify the forbidden schedule, from the camera itself after making the changes.

One to turn video and audio off for the camera, and another to turn video and audio on for the camera and one to verify that the changes actually took place.

You could pass the user and password in these links, but it might be best to be prompted to logon, as they will do, as they are.

You can't use a Chrome browser to execute these links, unless you add to the end of all three of these links, the following:

&user=ReplaceThisWithAnAdminUserId&pwd=ReplaceThisWithPassword

The above only needs to be done, if you are using the Chrome browser as your default browser otherwise, with the links below, you will be prompted to logon with all other browsers.

You must use an Admin Level User Id, when prompted to logon, for this to work.

Note: You must replace the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and #### in each link below with the IP Address or DDNS address and Port number for your camera.

As stated earlier, you can create a shortcut with these links, or simply save them, and copy them into a browser window, when needed

Disable the Cameras Video and Audio link

Code: Select all
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/set_forbidden.cgi?schedule_enable=1&schedule_sun_0=-1&schedule_sun_1=-1&schedule_sun_2=-1&schedule_mon_0=-1&schedule_mon_1=-1&schedule_mon_2=-1&schedule_tue_0=-1&schedule_tue_1=-1&schedule_tue_2=-1&schedule_wed_0=-1&schedule_wed_1=-1&schedule_wed_2=-1&schedule_thu_0=-1&schedule_thu_1=-1&schedule_thu_2=-1&schedule_fri_0=-1&schedule_fri_1=-1&schedule_fri_2=-1&schedule_sat_0=-1&schedule_sat_1=-1&schedule_sat_2=-1

Please click the select all link above, and then right click on the area and choose copy.

When the above link is used, you can go to your normal camera interface via http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:#### and you will see, that you cannnot display video or hear audio, until you do the link below.

Enable the Cameras Video and Audio link

Code: Select all
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/set_forbidden.cgi?schedule_enable=0&schedule_sun_0=0&schedule_sun_1=0&schedule_sun_2=0&schedule_mon_0=0&schedule_mon_1=0&schedule_mon_2=0&schedule_tue_0=0&schedule_tue_1=0&schedule_tue_2=0&schedule_wed_0=0&schedule_wed_1=0&schedule_wed_2=0&schedule_thu_0=0&schedule_thu_1=0&schedule_thu_2=0&schedule_fri_0=0&schedule_fri_1=0&schedule_fri_2=0&schedule_sat_0=0&schedule_sat_1=0&schedule_sat_2=0

Please click the select all link above, and then right click on the area and choose copy.

You will receive an ok response, in the browser window, if all went well, in both cases. If you did not, please check the IP Address/DDNS and Port you are using when you changed the links above and check that you copied the entire link as well.

To verify, at anytime, what the forbidden schedule is set to, for any given camera, you can do this again replacing the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and #### with your cameras IP Address or DDNS and Port number. When prompted, you will need to logon using an Admin User Level Id and Password:

Verify what Forbidden is set to

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/get_forbidden.cgi

If the camera video and audio is turned off for ALL days and time periods, you will see this, when using the link above;

var schedule_enable=1;
var schedule_sun_0=4294967295;
var schedule_sun_1=4294967295;
var schedule_sun_2=4294967295;
var schedule_mon_0=4294967295;
var schedule_mon_1=4294967295;
var schedule_mon_2=4294967295;
var schedule_tue_0=4294967295;
var schedule_tue_1=4294967295;
var schedule_tue_2=4294967295;
var schedule_wed_0=4294967295;
var schedule_wed_1=4294967295;
var schedule_wed_2=4294967295;
var schedule_thu_0=4294967295;
var schedule_thu_1=4294967295;
var schedule_thu_2=4294967295;
var schedule_fri_0=4294967295;
var schedule_fri_1=4294967295;
var schedule_fri_2=4294967295;
var schedule_sat_0=4294967295;
var schedule_sat_1=4294967295;
var schedule_sat_2=4294967295;

If the camera video and audio is turned on for ALL days and time periods, you will see this, when using the link above;

var schedule_enable=0;
var schedule_sun_0=0;
var schedule_sun_1=0;
var schedule_sun_2=0;
var schedule_mon_0=0;
var schedule_mon_1=0;
var schedule_mon_2=0;
var schedule_tue_0=0;
var schedule_tue_1=0;
var schedule_tue_2=0;
var schedule_wed_0=0;
var schedule_wed_1=0;
var schedule_wed_2=0;
var schedule_thu_0=0;
var schedule_thu_1=0;
var schedule_thu_2=0;
var schedule_fri_0=0;
var schedule_fri_1=0;
var schedule_fri_2=0;
var schedule_sat_0=0;
var schedule_sat_1=0;
var schedule_sat_2=0;

Each day is broken down in 3 Eight hour segments, hence why there is:

var schedule_sun_0=4294967295;
var schedule_sun_1=4294967295;
var schedule_sun_2=4294967295;

Each of the above segments, represents a 32 bit value. 32 * 3 = 96 bits, there are 96 fifteen minute periods in 24 hours ("24 * 4 = 96"), each bit respesents Video and Audio on/off for that 15 minute period, for that day.

4294967295 decimal, is in binary, all 32 bits set to 1. 1 = on/disabled, 0 = off/enabled for each bit.

Each segment day_0 starts at camera time 12:00am and each segment day_3 ends at 11:59pm camera time.

Each segment, such as schedule_sun_0, has a bit turned on for every 15 minutes, in that 8 hour segment, where video and audio should be disabled.

As stated earlier, there is no friendly User Interface, to set these 15 minute time periods, in most cases, like there is for the alarm schedule.

So, there it is. Yes, it is possible to disable video and audio on the camera, and using shortcuts, with the links provided, fairly easily. You could name one shortcut "Disable Video and Audio for Camera 1" and the other shortcut "Enable Video and Audio for Camera 1". You then can click the shortcut, when needed to disable video and audio for the camera, when needed and click the other shortcut to enable video and audio for the camera, when you wish to turn the camera video and audio, back on.

You also could create a shortcut using the get_forbidden.cgi link and call it "Verify Video and Audio for Camera 1".

Creating the links to disable/enable video and audio, for all days, and all 15 minute periods, during those days, was the most simple way for you to do what you want to do, not knowing, what day(s) and time(s) you may wish to do this.

Using these shortcuts, in no way restricts access to the standard camera interface, but you as well as anyone else will not be able to see video or hear audio, from the camera, until you turn on video and audio again.

Don
Last edited by TheUberOverLord on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheUberOverLord

Postby rfresh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 pm

@Don -- no question you went above and beyond in answering this post! That is a lot of work to turn off the camera as you said. I don't think I want to tackle trying all of that. I have physical access to my cam so I think when I want to turn it off I will just unplug it from the wall. I was hoping there was a way to do it from the web control interface.

Thanks everyone...especially Don!
rfresh

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm

rfresh wrote:@Don -- no question you went above and beyond in answering this post! That is a lot of work to turn off the camera as you said. I don't think I want to tackle trying all of that. I have physical access to my cam so I think when I want to turn it off I will just unplug it from the wall. I was hoping there was a way to do it from the web control interface.

Thanks everyone...especially Don!

You are very welcome, as I stated, you can simply create 2 shortcuts to do this, then it's a simple click to turn the camera video and audio, off or on.

I went into great detail, for those that actually, might want to create a formal schedule, to disable the video and audio at constant times, for specific days, but for you, it's as simple as creating two shortcuts.

Don
Last edited by TheUberOverLord on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheUberOverLord

Postby donked » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm

I gotta say Don, You sure do have alot of amazing knowledge of this stuff in that noggin of yours :D

Im sure I echo alot of other users on these forums who are very thankful you take the time and are around to help - Foscam should be paying you I reckon for the great tech service your providing everybody
donked

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:51 pm

donked wrote:I gotta say Don, You sure do have alot of amazing knowledge of this stuff in that noggin of yours :D

Im sure I echo alot of other users on these forums who are very thankful you take the time and are around to help - Foscam should be paying you I reckon for the great tech service your providing everybody

Thanks so much (bow)

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby CamUser » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:54 am

rfresh wrote:I have physical access to my cam so I think when I want to turn it off I will just unplug it from the wall. I was hoping there was a way to do it from the web control interface.

There is a wide variety of remote controlled outlets and home control/automation products available for relatively low cost.

Some can be set on time controlled cycles if you want the cam on and off at certain time every day. Others have PC control available if you want to do it with a mouse click.

If you go that route, you can add other outlets, lights, appliances, etc. to the system.
CamUser

Next

Return to Technical Support