Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

Interfacing FI8910W to Windows 8

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Interfacing FI8910W to Windows 8

Postby EitanBarazani » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi,

I would like to incorporate FI8910W type camera in my Windows 8 Store Application I developed (WinRT, XAML, C#).

I looked at the "IPCAM CGI SDK 2.1" manual. Is it the correct one for controlling the camera?

I would like to develop some controls to move the camera up/down left/right. What commands should I use to achieve this task?

Thanks,
EitanBarazani
EitanBarazani

Re: Interfacing FI8910W to Windows 8

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 pm

EitanBarazani wrote:Hi,

I would like to incorporate FI8910W type camera in my Windows 8 Store Application I developed (WinRT, XAML, C#).

I looked at the "IPCAM CGI SDK 2.1" manual. Is it the correct one for controlling the camera?

I would like to develop some controls to move the camera up/down left/right. What commands should I use to achieve this task?

Thanks,
EitanBarazani

Yes. It is.

The commands are clearly documented under the decoder_control.cgi command, page 13 of the IPCAM CGI SDK 2.1 Manual. Located here:

http://foscam.us/forum/cgi-api-sdk-for-mjpeg-h-264-camera-t2986.html#p13630

You can also look at the HTML source code for an Interface I created for MJPEG based cameras to see what the commands being used are as well here:

free-generic-browser-interface-for-foscam-ip-mjpeg-cameras-t2522.html#p10970

Using the commands In C# is also very easy to do. I simply used JavaScript, in this case, to not require any program installation and to be easily run from any device, running on any OS, using any browser. This allows the Interface to be run/used on any Internet browser capable device.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby EitanBarazani » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks, I will study this code.
Eitan
EitanBarazani

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm

EitanBarazani wrote:Thanks, I will study this code.
Eitan

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby EitanBarazani » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi Don,

Got the camera to display in my application plus some movement control. What I don't have is sound.
How can I incorporate the sound into my application?

Also I am working with the FI8910W. What other camera's share the same CGI command interface?

Thanks,
Eitan Barazani
EitanBarazani

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 pm

EitanBarazani wrote:Hi Don,

Got the camera to display in my application plus some movement control. What I don't have is sound.
How can I incorporate the sound into my application?

Also I am working with the FI8910W. What other camera's share the same CGI command interface?

Thanks,
Eitan Barazani

Hello,

All the Foscam MJPEG based camera models as well as many, if not most, MJPEG IP camera clones ("Non-Branded or using other brand names"), use this .cgi command interface, linked to here.

Audio would be complex. Because it has its own low level protocol on a TCP/IP based packet level. You then would need to take the raw PCM .wav packets and process them as well as feed them into some .wav input interface, that would be used to play the sound.

The same goes for recording audio from a microphone. You would need to create your own interface to that microphone and feed the raw PCM .wav data packets to the camera, using TCP/IP packets using the low level interface.

This audio protocol is outside of the .cgi command Interface.

This low level protocol, is actually much more than a simple low level audio protocol. It can be used for many other things, besides audio, such as alarm notifications, video, logon and issuing camera controls.

Ipcamera audio prototcol.zip

See Above Attachment. Note: Issuing camera controls is not included in the above document. There are also some additional low level commands missing from the above document. I do have a document that includes them, but it's all in Chinese.

One thing you may wish to be aware of is.

These cameras only support a maximum of 4 formally logged in users/applications at one time. When that limit is reached, ALL future connection requests, will be refused, unless/until one of those connections becomes available.

This includes any combination of, copies of the standard camera interface, videostreams directly to the camera and any other application, that formally logs into the camera.

This is one reason why I took the approach I did with my Interface. Because many use it for public access. Since it does not ever formally logon to the camera, it has no such limit.

Many camera owners are not aware of this and have and do get locked out of accessing their cameras, when they reach this limit. Generally, they don't know why or understand why that happens. So, it's just something to be aware of as a developer, IMHO.

So, unlike the .cgi interface, where it is possible to avoid formally logging in. When using the low level protocol, it is not. This means that your application, will be using 1 of the 4 available connections when/while it's running. If you implement the low level protocol, in your application.

You can provide video with audio using a VLC interface. I am not sure how well it would work in a native WinRT implementation. But please see this as well:

http://foscam.us/forum/a-how-to-for-mjpeg-cameras-use-vlc-to-play-and-record-video-t3870.html#p18278

The standard camera interface that comes with the cameras does NOT record video on alarms with audio. I created a .hta interface, that uses the VLC interface to do that. Here is a link to that interface as well:

http://foscam.us/forum/free-mjpeg-ip-camera-record-video-with-audio-on-alarms-t3431.html#p15874

Because the VLC method is using streaming from the camera directly. It as well, will use 1 of the 4 available connections, while it's in use.

Don
Last edited by TheUberOverLord on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:26 am, edited 9 times in total.
TheUberOverLord

Postby EitanBarazani » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi Don,

Reading your description make me think that I should wait with the sound until the VLC is fully implemented for WinRT (including some kind of WinRT controls).

I will, for the time being, just provide video in my application.

Can I use the Sound Alarm (set_alarm.cgi ) in my code, i.e. get indication if there is noise around the camera?

Thanks for all your help,
Eitan Barazani
EitanBarazani

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 am

Reading your description make me think that I should wait with the sound until the VLC is fully implemented for WinRT (including some kind of WinRT controls).

I will, for the time being, just provide video in my application.

Can I use the Sound Alarm (set_alarm.cgi ) in my code, i.e. get indication if there is noise around the camera?

Thanks for all your help,
Eitan Barazani

Yes, if you enable sound detection and set the sensitivity of sound detection ("As my Generic MJPEG Interface does when using it as a Admin Level User Id"), that works for you, with the fewest false alarms. You can use the get_status.cgi command to check for any motion or sound detection alarm, in progress ("As my record alarm videos, with audio recording Interface does").

This is another reason why I posted links here in my prior posts, to both those Interfaces. So that if needed, you could look at the HTML/HTA source code to see how and what methods are being used to do these things.

It should be noted, that the IP Cameras alarm period ,is always a fixed 1 minute/60 seconds time period.

While an alarm is in progress. Say, caused by a motion detection alarm. No sound detection alarm would be fired during the alarm period. As one example. So there will be only one alarm, during any alarm period.

Of course. Once the alarm period has expired. Anything still causing an alarm, be it motion or sound detection, will start an new alarm period.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby EitanBarazani » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi Don,

My application is more of a sound alarm (it is a baby monitor and I don't expect the baby to move much :roll: ).

Thanks for your input, you are very helpful!
Eitan Barazani
EitanBarazani

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:05 pm

My application is more of a sound alarm (it is a baby monitor and I don't expect the baby to move much :roll: ).

Thanks for your input, you are very helpful!
Eitan Barazani

Don
TheUberOverLord

Return to Technical Support