Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

IP Camera Tool does not find camera

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

IP Camera Tool does not find camera

Postby PanTilt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:44 am

I have Foscam FI8918W camera and it works ok. Only problem is with IE and ActiveX, and that's why I'd like to update it's firmware.

But... firmware update needs IP Camera Tool, and it does not work. So I can not upgrade the firmware :(

IP Camera Tool installation and running goes ok, but it shows nothing. Just totally white window with no information.

I have:
- 64 bit Windows 7 connected to router by ethernet
- FI8918W camera connected to router by ethernet
- TeleWell ADSL/WLAN router
- I know the camera's IP, and I can ping it from workstation
- I can access to camera by browser and see the picture

IP Camera Tool is the only thing that does not find the camera.
:cry: :evil: :oops: :shock: :x :o :cry:
PanTilt

Re: IP Camera Tool does not find camera

Postby PanTilt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 pm

I was able to update firmware by WebUI. It went quite easily. :D

But still I'm wondering: :o
- Why the IP Camera Tool does not work ?
- Why the update guide is written based on IP Camera Tool ?

I think that IP Camera Tool is a must in cases (example FI9820W) where the MAC address should be changed (restored) too. :?
PanTilt

Postby grege » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:28 pm

I was thinking you could do it through the web UI but hadn't done it so didn't want to suggest it.

As for IP Camera Tool, have you tried using the version that you can download off the website? Maybe it is newer and will help you.
grege

Postby PanTilt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am

I have IP Camera Tool version 0.0.7.7, and I think it is the newest one.

Still, it does not find the cameras on my (W)LAN. :cry:

If I use the MAC version of IP Camera Tool, it finds the cameras immediately. So something is wrong with IP Camera Tool and 64 bit Windows 7. Or with Virus Protection software. I have also tried to use IP Camera Tool so that Virus Protection software (F-Secure) is disabled - no success. :roll:

So, please, give at least better documentation and troubleshooting guides relating IP Camera Tool. It is very important tool in camera maintenance (can't set MAC address by web UI). You can't just suppose it works every time in every environment. :ugeek:
PanTilt

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:38 pm

I use Win7 64 Bit on some of my systems and no issues.

Worse case, if you think this is the cause, you can try to run it in compatability mode, as Vista or XP mode.

Also the MJPEG super client has a IP tool as well:

http://foscam.com/down4.aspx

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby PanTilt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks TheUberOverLord, I may try those actions.

Still, relating the issue I have discovered. It would be good to know some more deatiled facts about theses IP Camera Tool kind of tools. Users could more easily tune their environments so that they would work.

For example:
- What protocol IP Camera Tool uses (TCP, UDP)
- What TCP/UDP port it uses (80?)
- Does it scan some range of ports?
- Does it scan all LAN IP addresses?

So, if one knows at least something about that program, one could do something by him-/herself. There are lots of "moving parts" in virus detecting softwares and routers. :?

It doesn't help much if the only thing user sees, is totally white screen... :(
PanTilt

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 am

PanTilt wrote:Thanks TheUberOverLord, I may try those actions.

Still, relating the issue I have discovered. It would be good to know some more deatiled facts about theses IP Camera Tool kind of tools. Users could more easily tune their environments so that they would work.

For example:
- What protocol IP Camera Tool uses (TCP, UDP)
- What TCP/UDP port it uses (80?)
- Does it scan some range of ports?
- Does it scan all LAN IP addresses?

So, if one knows at least something about that program, one could do something by him-/herself. There are lots of "moving parts" in virus detecting softwares and routers. :?

It doesn't help much if the only thing user sees, is totally white screen... :(

You are very welcome.

Here is the BEST Windows based IP Camera Tool for ALL MJPEG cameras I have used. In some cases it can also find/locate H.264 cameras as well. It works well on 32 and 64 bit based Windows systems. It's somewhat sensitive on how you enter IP information, so I would click your mouse for each IP text box while entering any IP address changes vs. using the TAB key.

http://www.saveontelephonebills.com/camera/DevFind.zip

It is part of a Super Client ("Not provided by Foscam") Install, but the above .zip has just the IP Camera finder tool from it.

Some IP camera tools cannot locate a camera that has NOT been assigned a IP Address. A great example of this would be. Say you have a Router/AP that has DHCP services disabled. That would mean it would be impossible for the camera to ever be assigned any IP address, since it defaults to waiting for the Router/AP DHCP services to assign it an IP address.

This camera finder tool, can locate cameras that have not been assigned any IP address, unlike many of the other IP camera finder tools. This means that people who have Router/AP's where DHCP has been disabled, do not need to enable DHCP for to be able to configure their cameras. They can simply use this tool and assign a static IP address.

You can't find a camera ("Out of the Box") using wireless right away, because wireless mode is generally disabled and needs to be enabled once you do locate the camera.

As far as what the Foscam IP Camera tool uses to locate cameras, I am not sure. I will see if I can determine what it is doing.

Firewalls can also block these kinds of tools as well as anti-virus software. So it's important to make sure both are not stopping these kind of tools from working.

Don
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby PanTilt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Thank you guys, again ;)

I have situation like this:
- In my router, DHCP is enabled, and static IP-address is defined to the cameras MAC address. So, I know at every time what the IP-address is.
- I can access the camera with any browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) in any (my) needed OS environment (Windows 7 64bit, OS X Lion, OS X Snow Leopard, iOS 5).
- I can ping the camera from Windows 7 console application.

So, I think that:
- TCP/HTTP protocol works fine, Workstation -> Camera
- TCP/ICMP protocol works fine, Workstation -> Camera

But, what protocol does IP Camera Tool use? Something that virus softwares does not like?

And still, the only problem I have, is that:
a) I want any piece of software (IP Camera Tool also) to work. I don't like if they don't. I'm quite stubborn person :D
b) I think IP Camera Tool is the only program, by which I can change MAC address of the camera. Sometimes firmware updates requires this feature.

PS. How can you change MAC address of, for example FI9820W camera, in Apple's MAC environment?
PanTilt

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Have you tried the IP camera tool I provided a link to, in my prior post here?

Curious, why do you need to change the MAC address. While this is easily done with the MJPEG cameras, it's not so easy to do with the H.264 cameras.

Which camera are we dealing with at the moment? The FI8918W or the FI9820W?

Some IP camera tool finders for MJPEG cameras will never find H.264 cameras and vice versa. Could you be using the wrong camera finder tool?

Don
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby PanTilt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi,

I did not know there's separate versions of IP Camera Tool to different camera products. I've supposed there's only one.

But, anyway, I've uploaded the IP Camera Tool from the camera's site I'm working for.

At the moment I'm dealing with FI8918W, but at the same time I'm very worried about FI9820W. Because FI9820W firmware update requires restoring the MAC addres by IP Camera Tool. And if I'm not able to do that, how can I update it's firmware. FI9820W is quite new, and there will be coming firmware updates, I'm sure about that.
PanTilt

Return to Technical Support