Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

Leds shut off during alarm

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Leds shut off during alarm

Postby peatmoss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi,

Just got my first FI8918W. Nice cam but I have a minor software issue. I have mine setup to ftp images when there is motion detected. I noticed at night when motion is detected the IR leds go out. I found the new web firmware and it does not seem to fix it. Anyone have a clue how to get this working? All of my night time images are black and useless. I guess worse case I can hot wire the leds so they are not controlled by IO but that would be a shame.

Thanks,
pete
peatmoss

Re: Leds shut off during alarm

Postby peatmoss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Ok have some more info, it will work if I have the active x control loaded in the browser. So what the web update does is turn the IR leds back on once they have shut off because of alarm trigger. This seems like a hack to fix the problems with the system firmware. I hope there is a code fix for this in the future.

Pete
peatmoss

Postby peatmoss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 pm

Yeah I'm still scratching my head on this :) So I found that I can turn on the IR leds with this url:
http://CAMERAURL/decoder_control.cgi?command=95

and you can do something ugly like this and turn it on every second:
watch -n 1 wget -O - --user=xxxxxxx--password=xxxxxxxx http://CAMERAURL/decoder_control.cgi?command=95

Pete
peatmoss

Postby Kizzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Pete,

Same problem here with my FI8918W. I have the camera set to FTP images upon motion detection, and when this happens, the IR lights turn off. I saw there was a WebUI firmware upgrade that addressed this issue, which I installed, but the problem persists. I emailed Foscam support about it and received this response:

"Till now, few users forwarded that the IR lights will still keep turn off after upgrade the software. I have forwarded this issue to our engineers yet, they said there also may be some code need change. They are dealing with it now, and we will release the new firmware after they resolve this."

So, clearly it remains an issue to be resolved. As you say, it sounds like the WebUI fix was more of a quick "hack" which does work for some, but not all.

(By the way, when you said that if the ActiveX control is loaded in the browser, the lights will turn back on after shutting off, do you mean that the new WebUI DOES sort of "correct" the problem, but only if you actually have IE loaded and viewing the camera at the time of the motion detection? If so, yeah, that's a pretty weak "fix", especially when you consider not everyone uses IE).

In any case, I otherwise love this camera, so I do hope they come up with a proper fix in a future firmware update.

-Kizzy
Kizzy

Postby peatmoss » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Kizzy,

Exactly, if you have the web page open In IE the program will turn the lights back on. I really like this cam but it needs a few things fixed. This is an important one.

Just a thought... If they open sourced the firmware on this thing I bet they would sell Millions. There are already clones so there is probably little risk.

Pete
peatmoss

Postby mimile » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 pm

peatmoss wrote:Yeah I'm still scratching my head on this :) So I found that I can turn on the IR leds with this url:
http://CAMERAURL/decoder_control.cgi?command=95

and you can do something ugly like this and turn it on every second:
watch -n 1 wget -O - --user=xxxxxxx--password=xxxxxxxx http://CAMERAURL/decoder_control.cgi?command=95

Pete

thank u for this trick

but we need a permanent PC with IE switched ON.

This is an annoying bug in firmware 11.22.2.23 and webui 2.4.18.15
mimile

Postby DavidTangye » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I have a new FI8918W. It is currently set to email out on motion detect.

Motion triggers the turning off of the IR, and the mailout of 6 jpgs, 1 bright and 5 dark because the IR is off. A minute later it usually turns the IR back on. This nearly always triggers another motion detect, not due to motion, but because the lighting is changed. It triggers the turning off of the IR again, and the mailout of another 6 jpgs, etc.

Device Firmware Version 11.22.2.23

Tomorrow I will set it to ftp to my linux server instead, and write a script on there to immediately turn IR back on as soon as the first jpg arrives. Hopefully this should turn the IR back on while the motion event is active, thus ensuring that the last of the pics are bright, and there is no trigger-loop as per above.
DavidTangye

Postby finder » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:23 pm

I have a fi8908w that had this issue. For me, the fix has to do with the alarm_iolinkage=0 parameter.

Sending an alarm post with iolinkage=0 seemed to fix it, but the UI (in push mode) always resets it to true.
Example url with iolinkage disabled:

/set_alarm.cgi?user=undefined&pwd=undefined&next_url=alarm.htm&motion_armed=1&input_armed=1&motion_sensitivity=4&iolinkage=0&mail=1&upload_interval=1&ioin_level=1&ioout_level=1&schedule_enable=0&schedule_sun_0=0&schedule_sun_1=0&schedule_sun_2=0&schedule_mon_0=0&schedule_mon_1=0&schedule_mon_2=0&schedule_tue_0=0&schedule_tue_1=0&schedule_tue_2=0&schedule_wed_0=0&schedule_wed_1=0&schedule_wed_2=0&schedule_thu_0=0&schedule_thu_1=0&schedule_thu_2=0&schedule_fri_0=0&schedule_fri_1=0&schedule_fri_2=0&schedule_sat_0=0&schedule_sat_1=0&schedule_sat_2=0

Reading here though: http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/for ... t4175.html this may have something to do with external contact leads. I'm just using the camera by itself, so this may not be a fix for some people.
finder

Postby peatmoss » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks! This works for my FI8918W. I don't use the web UI.

pete
peatmoss

Postby rvmeush » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 am

I sent a report about this to tech support yesterday and they said there was a firmware update that fixed this. My camera info shows

Device Firmware Version 11.22.2.23
Device Embeded Web UI Version 2.4.18.15

I just downloaded the current s/w upgrade package and it seems like I already have the latest firmware. Does anyone know if there is a later version?
rvmeush

Next

Return to General Discussion