LOW fps on foscam cameras

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

LOW fps on foscam cameras

Postby cyberguy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:48 pm

I have the following installation
1xFoscam FI8918W
1x FI8903W
2x FI8905W

I have a really powerful pc running windows xp with 4-core cpu, 4gb ram,750gb hdd and the only application running is Ispy connect (mjpeg)

I also have a TP-Link Wireless Router N 300Mbps, Gigabit TL-WR1043ND for the cameras to connect (with wep2-psk encryption).

Since I installed the whole setup, I usually have around ~4 fps on all cameras during daylight. During the night, I can see that each camera may reach up to 15fps for a little while (maybe some minutes) then down to 4 and up again.

also sometimes I can see that they reach as low as ~0.5-1 fps

I have tried the following in order to resolve my problem
*I installed cat5 cable to all cameras and deactivated the wireless
*I changed the wireless router
*I changed computer (even with 4 cameras, cpu usage was not at 100%)
*I tried to run 1 camera at the time and uninstall the others on ispy
*I changed locations at all cameras
*I run software to read fps from each cameras webui (from local IP)
*I updated firmware on all cameras
*I moved the cameras next to my switch using 1 meter network cable

the 2x FI8905W are located outside (no rain, ~25 celcius) and the other two inside offices.

I still have not found any solution...I would appreciate any suggestions
cyberguy

Re: LOW fps on foscam cameras

Postby DualFever » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:44 pm

The fps will drop at some points.

How often is this? is it when you are operating the cameras movement?

the fps isnt usually down to your pc power, even lower powered pc's should display them fine.
As the software im using H264WebCam only uses 3% of my cpu usage and its constantly playing and recording.

how often is this happening? and how long for?

What software are you using? is it any different using the web ui?

-Dual
DualFever

Postby cyberguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:24 am

DualFever wrote:The fps will drop at some points.

How often is this? is it when you are operating the cameras movement?

the fps isnt usually down to your pc power, even lower powered pc's should display them fine.
As the software im using H264WebCam only uses 3% of my cpu usage and its constantly playing and recording.

how often is this happening? and how long for?

What software are you using? is it any different using the web ui?

-Dual

Low fps is 95% percent of day time and around 50% of night time
I am using the latest ispy connect version
I get the same FPS using the web ui, without the camera connected to anything else
cyberguy

Postby DualFever » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 am

Ok, the tests you have done seem all relevant.

The next questions i would ask, this may sound stupid but what browser are you using?

IE (actually the only browser that you can specify frame rates, on my cam anyway) uses a plugin from VLC player, try updating VLC and when you reinstall it make sure the plugins are ticked. Then what happens when you change the fps in ie?

Firefox and others im not sure if you can specify frame rates on them.

Other things to try,
What are your routers and switch speeds on your network?
e.g cat5e may run at 100mb/s but having a 10mb/s switch on the way is going to reduce the bandwidth, also what else do you have running on the network, any backups, file transfers many more cams, 10 pcs?

(i know you have a 300Mbps router but what else)
make sure you have enough bandwidth to transmit at higher frame rates.

If your frames are dropping, whats going on, on your network at this time? anything? get wireshark to monitor network activity.

I know some suggestions may sound stupid, but we need to rule them out so..
Are you definitely accessing the ip's via internal ip? not an yourname.dyndns.org internet address?

If you shut off a camera and then start it up after a few minutes will the frame rate go to its maximum, then slowly deteriorate? or will it just start up at low fram rates.

-Dual
DualFever

Postby cyberguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 am

DualFever wrote:Ok, the tests you have done seem all relevant.

The next questions i would ask, this may sound stupid but what browser are you using?

IE (actually the only browser that you can specify frame rates, on my cam anyway) uses a plugin from VLC player, try updating VLC and when you reinstall it make sure the plugins are ticked. Then what happens when you change the fps in ie?

Firefox and others im not sure if you can specify frame rates on them.

Other things to try,
What are your routers and switch speeds on your network?
e.g cat5e may run at 100mb/s but having a 10mb/s switch on the way is going to reduce the bandwidth, also what else do you have running on the network, any backups, file transfers many more cams, 10 pcs?

(i know you have a 300Mbps router but what else)
make sure you have enough bandwidth to transmit at higher frame rates.

If your frames are dropping, whats going on, on your network at this time? anything? get wireshark to monitor network activity.

I know some suggestions may sound stupid, but we need to rule them out so..
Are you definitely accessing the ip's via internal ip? not an yourname.dyndns.org internet address?

If you shut off a camera and then start it up after a few minutes will the frame rate go to its maximum, then slowly deteriorate? or will it just start up at low fram rates.

-Dual

Thanks dual for your suggestions.

I had the same thoughts as you, so one of my first steps was to connect the cameras on their own switch and remove the cable connecting to the rest of the network. The switch I used was linksys gigabit

I tried using IE8 and IE9 from different pcs with the vlc addon and the result was the same. I tried changing the framerate to lower ones and it worked normally. For example when I used 2fps then I could see it happening. but even if I set it in 10 fps or 20 fps or Max I still dont get more than the average ~4.

The cameras have steady fps when I turn them on and they dont deteriorate and I use only local ips to connect to them.

UPDATE. I changed the setting in ispyconnect to max 8fps from 25 and now I can see that the average is ~6 (a little better)
cyberguy

Postby DualFever » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:20 pm

You don't need to quote me on this :)

So lets go into more detail,

Maybe its the actual processor of these cameras, I'm not sure. Looking at my own i can see im not getting 20 or even 10 fps, looks like 5-6 to me.

Although Its a fair distance from my router (via wifi) and i only need this many frames.

Lets see how well you can ping your camera while its on but not NOT operating.

To do this open up command prompt:
(if you already know how, ignore the next line)

start->run/search box->type "cmd"->type "ping YourCameraIP -n 5 -l 1000"

See what response you get. the flag "-n" means to ping the camera how many times (in this case 5) with a packet the size of 1000bytes/or 1 kb (flag -l) . It will then display the time in ms how long it takes for the packet to reach its destination and get returned to you.

So to explain further if a 'general' framesize is 20kb thats 20000 bytes, if you want 10 fps it needs to transfer a packet of data the size of 20000 bytes every 100miliseconds. Our ping is making 2 trips though there and back. So you could average the time and half the time it takes in the ping.

Also remember when pinging the camera in operation its already processing data and transferring data, so pinging will be slower, or may slow down your streaming.

so after testing your ping with low data you can increase the data e.g

"ping YourCameraIP -n 5 -l 1000" - 1kb
"ping YourCameraIP -n 5 -l 5000" - 5kb
"ping YourCameraIP -n 5 -l 10000" - 10kb

Some packets may even get lost in our ping, by our image stream losing packets would result in dropping frames.

Actually don't think you could rely solely on ping data but it can help work out problems.

Heres my test ping with 20kb packets, NO STREAMING when pinging this seriously will increase the packet time as the camera already doing so much with the network:

Pinging 192.168.1.13 with 20000 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=191ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=227ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=258ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=204ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=125ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=224ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=239ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=116ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.13: bytes=20000 time=209ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.13:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 9, Lost = 1 (10% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 116ms, Maximum = 258ms, Average = 199ms

Ive bolded some important parts there.

Average is 199ms so that means I'd be able to get roughly 5 - 20kb packets a second from my camera. Which as i said i thought i was getting 5-6 fps, just by looking at it earlier. So try it yourself.

If we are loosing data and getting very low ping ms what does this mean? (either bad signal, bad data processing, busy network, line noise, interferences) theres so many different reasons, but at-least you can from this work out something a bit deeper.

There maybe nothing we can do to fix this.
Let me know how your pinging goes.

If I've got time I may try getting my fps to increase, test pluging it in directly etc. I don't at the moment though

-Dual
DualFever

Postby cyberguy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 am

Another dead end... ping times from 3 of my cameras while they were not operating.

camera 1 Minimum = 91ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 93ms
camera 2 Minimum = 91ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 96ms
camera 3 Minimum = 83ms, Maximum = 88ms, Average = 85ms

all pings were 20000 bytes.

It seems that my network is a ~100% faster than yours, so my low fps is not a network problem. I am beginning to believe that the cameras cant support the frames they claim to have, due to cpu or firmware problems.The only reason I am still trying to find a solution, is because during nighttime all the cameras increase their fps, so they have the capability to work faster.

Can you install ispy connect and read the fps from the application? (dont forget to raise the fps limit from each camera's settings in ispy)
cyberguy

Postby DualFever » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Pings still need to be taken into account, how fast the data can be transfered. Try the same pinging at night/day see if you see a change in that.

I am beginning to believe that the cameras cant support the frames they claim to have, due to cpu or firmware problems.

Maybe the case, just if they can get up to 20 fps doesn't mean they are bound to always have it.

It would seem strange to have the same fault with all cameras.

Had time to install the software (ispy) today and have a look at it. I didn't know it was FREE, actually its great open source software thanks for sharing.

Im getting roughly between 5-6 sometimes it drops to 4.85 etc.

nighttime all the cameras increase their fps, so they have the capability to work faster.

Just a thought on this, are the cameras processors working faster?
Or do they not have to process as much image data as most will be non-coloured, MOSTLY black, and lesser quality at night?

The cameras may have a lighter load at night, im not sure on that.

So whilst typing this I actually done a quick test i have the FI8918W and i rotated it via control so most atleast half of the image was facing a dark (BLACK) area, sure the frames increased to 8-9 fps. Try this see what we can find out.

other thought: also lower image quality means lesser file size soo fast connection! more fpS!
-Dual
DualFever

Postby cyberguy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:55 am

More updates :)

*Pinging during nighttime and daytime are the same
*Lowering quality (to 320x240) does not improve fps
*Lower Hz improves FPS but I cant use it to outdoor cameras
*I tried to cover FI8918W with a box and instantly the fps jumped to ~16 :shock:

So it seems that the CPU can handle better night video, as they require less processing and they are not fast enough to handle day video

So, the conclusion is that these cameras are not equipped with fast enough CPUs. Do you agree? or there is another angle I have not thought about?

P.S. remember to edit each camera in ispy connect and increase maximum framerate to 20
cyberguy

Postby SunshineApps » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:35 am

I'm using a FI8918W with NetCam2Go and I'm seeing a frame rate of ~14fps. That's on an iPhone with WiFi(g) and the camera is wired on 100Mb router. If I switch to 320x240 mode I'm seeing ~30fps. So the cameras seem to be able to handle more than you are seeing.

Out of interest how are you measuring the fps? I'm mac based so not familiar with the tools you mentioned like ispy and I haven't found anywhere on the camera to select fps even...
Check out our iPhone/iPad Baby Monitor & CCTV Apps for Foscams. Search 'SunshineApps' in iTunes.
SunshineApps

Next

Return to General Discussion