Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Jbodine wrote:Don,

I am a new user and it seems my five FI8910Ws suffer from this problem as well and I'd love to try to fix them myself. Could you please send me your instructions. I appreciate it.
Jbodine

Sent via PM ("Private Message") in the Forum.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby Black_64 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:31 am

First of all, big thanks to TheUberOverLord !!

After flashing the new bin file to the V399 chip, the first results are good.
No reboots when moving the camera around.

I have the FI8919W outdoor PT dome camera.

Now some feedback about the USB-cable.
The connector on the board has 7 pins.
I did order the 6 pins connector from Sparkfun. Now i could make the cable.

I used the pinout like you say for the LocationOfPin1ForIndoorCamera.jpg.
I have the same blue USB-cable, so same color wires.

pin 2 => +5V
PIN 3 => usbd -
PIN 4 => usbd +
PIN 6 => gnd -

This did not work ( did test 3 laptops, winXp, Win7, Win8.1).
Then i changed the red wire (+5V) from pin 2 to pin 1.
Now the usb port did find something but could not find the devices info's.
Then i did change the black wire (gnd-) to pin 7.
Yes now the usb device is recognized and it's seen as a USB PC cam. (with Win 8.1 64bit)

Flashing was no problem, i saw the message "succes" on the end.

On the FI8919W with V399 the correct pinout is:

pin 1 => +5V
PIN 3 => usbd -
PIN 4 => usbd +
PIN 7 => gnd -
Black_64

Postby nicksab » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 am

nicksab wrote:
TheUberOverLord wrote:
nicksab wrote:I just got a new 8910w a couple weeks back. All is working fine, including remote access, remote FTP upload, and automatic emails on alarm. (This is also my second Foscam - the other is a wireless outdoor cam.) But the camera loses connectivity when I pan. At first i thought this was a hardware failure - maybe loose cables or shorts or something. But sounds like this could be related to the DSP issues others have mentioned. If there is a known fix, can someone just post it directly to this forum??

Don

Thanks! I bought mine from BestBuy, and have little hope that I'd get it "fixed" through them. Guess I'll roll up my sleeves and try this fix! I had no idea it was so complicated, but I've got the right skilz...so off I go.

I'm back in business, which makes me "happy" (huge thanks to Don for all the help!!) but it was not easy. I consider myself pretty well-versed in electronics, but assembling that little connector was a bear.

And I am beyond frustrated with Foscam. :evil: I tried to contact them numerous times with no luck. They are clearly selling a LOT of these devices, and they should be legally accountable for these issues, which is an avenue I will begin exploring.

Thanks again Don. To others who are going to try the DIY route - follow his instructions to a T! Definitely order the parts as described from DigiKey (who is a GREAT company to deal with, but a strangely poor web site). And take your time assembling the cable. Make sure the tiny connector inserts and wires don't touch and short out. I had to use a pin to push them apart!
nicksab

Postby David T » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:57 pm

@TheUberOverLord

Thanks for your insight on this problem.

I have the same issue with my new Foscam FI8919W camera.
Can you please PM me the fix and instructions.

Note, I work as a software engineer so am happy with a technical solution.

Best regards,
David
David T

Postby PeteD » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Black_64 wrote:I have the FI8919W outdoor PT dome camera...

On the FI8919W with V399 the correct pinout is:

pin 1 => +5V
PIN 3 => usbd -
PIN 4 => usbd +
PIN 7 => gnd -

Thank you, I will try this for my 8919W camera. I will post my results, once I get the motivation to climb up onto the roof and get my camera that is… Ahhhh!
PeteD

Postby rog0978 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:09 pm

nicksab wrote:And I am beyond frustrated with Foscam. :evil: I tried to contact them numerous times with no luck. They are clearly selling a LOT of these devices, and they should be legally accountable for these issues, which is an avenue I will begin exploring.

I am interested in this too - they knowingly sell cameras that have this issue. I returned 2 cameras with the issue, and fixed the DSP issue myself on 2 other cameras. I am fed up with Foscam at this point (even had to mail them to refund me the correct amount for one return :evil: ), and I would be ready to go down the legal road as well.
rog0978

Postby wildbilll » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Not meant to be an advocate for Foscam, but can you describe how you were financially damaged? I know you have mental anguish but the terms of the warranty were followed, yes?
wildbilll

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:32 pm

David T wrote:@TheUberOverLord

Thanks for your insight on this problem.

I have the same issue with my new Foscam FI8919W camera.
Can you please PM me the fix and instructions.

Note, I work as a software engineer so am happy with a technical solution.

Best regards,
David

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:34 pm

rog0978 wrote:
nicksab wrote:And I am beyond frustrated with Foscam. :evil: I tried to contact them numerous times with no luck. They are clearly selling a LOT of these devices, and they should be legally accountable for these issues, which is an avenue I will begin exploring.

I am interested in this too - they knowingly sell cameras that have this issue. I returned 2 cameras with the issue, and fixed the DSP issue myself on 2 other cameras. I am fed up with Foscam at this point (even had to mail them to refund me the correct amount for one return :evil: ), and I would be ready to go down the legal road as well.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby Gunner » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Black_64 wrote:On the FI8919W with V399 the correct pinout is:

pin 1 => +5V
PIN 3 => usbd -
PIN 4 => usbd +
PIN 7 => gnd -

Good clear documentation Black_64 !! I am glad someone else was able to confirm my same findings on the cable modifications required for the 8919W P/T camera... A Foscam tech told me the pinouts were the same as the 8010w... he was wrong :)

Unfortunately for me, I was still able to force a lockup after flashing the fix... however in hindsight, I did give it a very complex view to work with (through a mesh window privacy screen, looking out at many bare tree branches on a clear sunny day for high contrast)... might have worked just fine once outdoors without the mesh.

I will keep your positive results in mind in case I decide to try again in the future... meanwhile I already shipped mine back for trade in their excellent 9805W fixed cameras... the wide field of vision was actually better suited for my needs than a P/T anyhow.
Gunner

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support