Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:31 pm

SBdonkey wrote:I contacted the seller about this. It seems that I can not return the camera. I want to fix it myself. But the most difficult part is creating a data cable. Where can I buy a usb data cable to 7 pin plug?

There is no complete ("Prefabricated") USB cable, with the proper camera connector already connected, to the proper USB wires available.

That said.

There is a camera connector available that can be purchased pre-wired, that can be used for both indoor and outdoor camera models.

More here. Courtesy of Bill, a Foscam camera owner, who used this method, to create a USB update cable:

http://foscam.us/forum/8910w-hanging-rebooting-based-on-image-data-t5769-760.html#p36184

This would minimize what you need to do, to create a USB update cable. You would not need to worry about wiring the camera connector and simply need to attach the wires from the pre-wired camera connector to the proper wires, on the USB cable. To be able to create the USB update cable.

I strongly suggest, in all cases. To use a voltmeter ("Even if you need to borrow one") to confirm the continuity, of the USB update cable, prior to using it, on the camera. From end-to-end. It's important to check and verify, that the wiring is correct and for open wires as well as shorted wires, prior to actually using the USB update cable, with the camera.

When using a prefabricated 5-pin wired connector with a 7-pin camera connector. It's also of equal importance, to properly align, the pin connections as well. When making the connection, between the USB update cable and the actual cameras connector.

I also suggest, that when making the initial connection between the USB update cable and the camera, that the camera REMAINS being powered off and the USB end of the USB update cable NOT being yet plugged into the computer. Until you are satisfied that the connection, is, as it should be. In all cases. With or without using a prefabricated wired connector and for both indoor and outdoor cameras. Then and only then, connect the USB end of the USB update cable, to the computer, that will be doing the DSP firmware update.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby redcaesar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Anyone know if foscam is shipping fixed units yet? Just got another one and want to just flash it cause will be installed in hard to reach location and don't want to have to pull it down if it starts having issues.
redcaesar

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:43 pm

redcaesar wrote:Anyone know if foscam is shipping fixed units yet? Just got another one and want to just flash it cause will be installed in hard to reach location and don't want to have to pull it down if it starts having issues.

Sigh!

What's potentially, even a worse scenario, is that cameras have a newer version of DSP software, at some point. So, I would NOT assume, or flash a camera, as in EVER, as some pro-active method to avoid this issue.

It's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to say, as one example. That a returned camera, which COULD pass ALL tests, will NOT be, re-injected into camera inventory. Because of this. I am not sure, there will EVER be and end-date on IF you could get a camera. With this issue. For some time. Say, one year from now.

So. If this was me? I would try to expose my camera, to what can cause this issue and only then, decide, if I was safe or should flash the DSP.

Maybe others have their suggestions about this?

But. There could come a time, and soon. Where pro-actively flashing the camera, becomes a Step-Backwards, at some point, in the future.

This is because, there are NO methods to query, what version of DSP firmware is installed, in ANY camera.

It might be possible for example. That in the near future, a BETTER version of DSP firmware is installed in cameras and that by changing that DSP firmware, using these methods, one actually impacts what the camera they have can and could do and that the DSP firmware in the camera, that they received, dealt with the issue and also had, better quality as well.

This is a paradox, that could happen soon.

At this SAME time. It's probable, that if someone tests a returned camera and determines/decides it had NO issue. That camera can become a part of camera inventory, to be sold. So, there is no WAY to promise, that you can't receive a camera with this issue, for most likely, the next year.

Of course, as time moves forward. It becomes less probable. That this COULD happen. The point is, it still, COULD happen!

The Internet. NEVER forgets! This is WHY the ability to get these instructions, is the way it is. So, that there are NOT older solutions, that could actually harm or hurt camera owners. When/If a newer version of the DSP firmware, is released. There also may come a time, that these instructions. Should NEVER be used. Because no camera, being sold, can/could have this issue.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheMadHatter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 pm

I just purchased a few more 8910W's via Adorama this Cyber Monday... not sure if they'll have the issue, but would like to be prepared to fix it if they do. Appreciate your assistance Don! Thanks...
TheMadHatter

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:48 pm

TheMadHatter wrote:I just purchased a few more 8910W's via Adorama this Cyber Monday... not sure if they'll have the issue, but would like to be prepared to fix it if they do. Appreciate your assistance Don! Thanks...

Sent via PM ("Private Message") in the Forum.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby redcaesar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks Don. I was thinking I could test where my fixed one is now but unfortunately it was hanging up on bright, leaves which have since fallen...

Both the firmware and webUI were older would this be a good indication it hadn't been touched.

Any other good senerios to lock them up? I know some mentioned dog cages but again not available.

TheUberOverLord wrote:
redcaesar wrote:Anyone know if foscam is shipping fixed units yet? Just got another one and want to just flash it cause will be installed in hard to reach location and don't want to have to pull it down if it starts having issues.

Sigh!

What's potentially, even a worse scenario, is that cameras have a newer version of DSP software, at some point. So, I would NOT assume, or flash a camera, as in EVER, as some pro-active method to avoid this issue.

It's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to say, as one example. That a returned camera, which COULD pass ALL tests, will NOT be, re-injected into camera inventory. Because of this. I am not sure, there will EVER be and end-date on IF you could get a camera. With this issue. For some time. Say, one year from now.

So. If this was me? I would try to expose my camera, to what can cause this issue and only then, decide, if I was safe or should flash the DSP.

Don
redcaesar

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:03 am

redcaesar wrote:Thanks Don. I was thinking I could test where my fixed one is now but unfortunately it was hanging up on bright, leaves which have since fallen...

Both the firmware and webUI were older would this be a good indication it hadn't been touched.

Any other good senerios to lock them up? I know some mentioned dog cages but again not available.

TheUberOverLord wrote:

Sigh!

Don

You are very welcome.

As an Example. If your firmware level. For your hardware version of your MJPEG based camera, is a X.22.x.x or lower. It would NOT be possible, that your camera. Could be exposed to this issue.

Based on what I am aware of. To date. The firmware for your MJPEG camera, would need to be equal to or greater then, X.35.x.x, to be capable of possibly. Being exposed, to this issue.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby redcaesar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:16 am

TheUberOverLord wrote:
redcaesar wrote:Thanks Don. I was thinking I could test where my fixed one is now but unfortunately it was hanging up on bright, leaves which have since fallen...

You are very welcome.

As an Example. If your firmware level. For your hardware version of your MJPEG based camera, is a X.22.x.x or lower. It would NOT be possible, that your camera. Could be exposed to this issue.

Don

Not that old. It was only a few back and upgraded them both. Only last numbers were lower. As an example something like

Device Firmware Version 11.35.2.39
Device Embeded Web UI Version 2.4.20.4

Updated by me too

Device Firmware Version 11.35.2.52
Device Embeded Web UI Version 2.4.20.7
redcaesar

Postby MV10 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Quick follow-up -- Foscam did eventually fix all of my cameras. It took multiple attempts, many emails, and nearly two months, but they did finally come through. Note that if you have Foscam re-flash your camera, they will pay for shipping if you demand it (I was appalled that I even had to ask). They even cross-shipped once, although the replacements weren't updated so I had to send those back, too.

One of the support guys told me they're aware that this has created a serious image problem for the company and they're getting ready to completely overhaul their sales and support processes because of it.

Fingers crossed.
MV10

Postby eangler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I have two of these cameras. Purchased in September and got around to installing them last week. Constant reboots and freezing in the sheltered outdoor location I have for them. Too late to return to Amazon. Browsing this site I got a chat invite from Tech service which started well but after I described my issue the line of communication went immediately dead. Thanks to the review on Amazon I was able to find this thread. Foscam really should be doing the reflash for everyone and I will push to get mine done that way but just in case, Don, I would greatly appreciate the instructions for the DIY fix.

It appears that some folks have successfully gone through Foscam for a fix. If anyone cares to share their experience I would appreciate hearing it.

Do any other Foscam products have this affliction? Though I hesitate to buy another Foscam right now I have a need while these get reporgrammed. Up to now Foscam products have been a good fit.

Best regards,
eangler
eangler

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support