Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby Harold » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 pm

I am seeing the same issue with an FI8904W outdoor camera that I just received from Amazon. It has no problems in low light (indoors, at night even with IR on), but in moderate to bright daylight at 640x480 resolution, the video stream quickly dies (goes black and displays a broken video icon in the web UI). The camera is pointed at a grassy yard; not towards the sun. Changing the resolution to 320x240 restores the video stream. At 640x480, reducing the brightness to 2 and contrast to 2 also seems to restore functionality, but then increasing them to 4 causes the frame rate to slow, usually followed by failure. The firmware is 11.35.2.49. I have not tried upgrading to 11.35.2.51, but the listed fixes are related to security, not this problem. I have tried several web browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome), and the Android app IPCamViewer, and get the same symptoms.

From what I read, this is an unresolved problem with all MJPEG Foscam cameras made recently. I'm surprised this was not mentioned in the Amazon reviews I read. I'll probably be returning this to Amazon and writing a review to this effect, unless I hear of a fix soon.
Harold

Postby jojocat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Since the support person hasn't posted here per my request, I'm passing along my most recent support communication in response to an earlier communication that advised me that this issue had been addressed in firmware.
-------------
Me: I'm currently on fw 11.37.2.51, and if I point the camera outside into the daylight, the camera resets, reboots, and I lose contact. Is the newer firmware you mentioned that addresses this not yet released? Please advise. Thanks

Foscam US Support: Yes this was suppose to address this issue but it was not added to this firmware version due to ETA. However our developers have said it will be updated in the next one.
---------------
I hope this is for real, because the answer seems a little too....convenient. If this is related to some recent hardware component change, there are certainly going to start to be some bad reviews on amazon. I feel like I should post a cautionary review there as it is because I would appreciate the same effort if I were buying today.
jojocat

Postby cz27dz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:29 pm

I just purchased two 8910W with the latest firmware and have the same problem is point outside and bright but not in direct sun reboots and reboots will my old AIRLINK 101 works without a problem. Is tech support planning on fixing this and not shipping product to Amazon for fulfillment? I avoided the HD camera because of the bug notices.

Bob
cz27dz

Postby kevin300z » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm

I bought 2 cams, same exact problem. I work in IT so I tried everything stated in this post even before coming here. Cam is the problem. FIX IT>
kevin300z

Postby jojocat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:36 pm

I asked for an ETA on the fix, but support would only say it's being worked on. Bummer. They're not even volunteering to replace/RMA it, so I guess they must know it would affect a replacement too. I'm trying to figure out if I take a loss and return this through amazon past the 30 day limit for a 20% or so fee. Hmm.
jojocat

Fi8910 and Fi8906 Bright Light Rebooting

Postby dalepa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 am

I have 2 cameras (Fi8910 and Fi8906) with the Bright Light re-booting issue. I updated both, and they issue is still there.

I RMA'd the Fi8906 already. Hopefully the FIX will come this week?!?
dalepa

Postby jojocat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

dalepa wrote:I have 2 cameras (Fi8910 and Fi8906) with the Bright Light re-booting issue. I updated both, and they issue is still there.

Did they somehow promise you that the replacement hardware wouldn't be affected by this issue? Did they acknowledge the reboot issue as a known problem when you got the RMA? I wasn't even offered the opportunity for an RMA, so I assumed they don't have any hardware they can exchange for that they can be sure won't just have the same problem.
jojocat

Postby dalepa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:00 pm

My rebooting problem started about a month ago with the Fi8906 with a new firmware(firmware that foscam didn't even have yet), before the problem was known about, and they gave me an RMA because they didn't even know about it back then...

I spent hours trying to figure out what has going on, replacing wifi, using powerline, buying new routers... Finally I figured out that the problem mainly occurs when I have a very dark, and a very bright image in the same frame from about 11am to 2pm. Simply turning the camera from dark to light causes it to reboot.

Then I purchased the FI8910w and when I upgraded to the new version I started to have the same problem.

They made no promises, but now with all the RMA's and forum reports they will up the priority and get the issue resolved.

jojocat wrote:
dalepa wrote:I have 2 cameras (Fi8910 and Fi8906) with the Bright Light re-booting issue. I updated both, and they issue is still there.

Did they somehow promise you that the replacement hardware wouldn't be affected by this issue? Did they acknowledge the reboot issue as a known problem when you got the RMA? I wasn't even offered the opportunity for an RMA, so I assumed they don't have any hardware they can exchange for that they can be sure won't just have the same problem.
dalepa

Postby happyheart » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:48 am

Let me give you an update on this issue. I have a long conversation with the tech support yesterday. If what he told me is about right, then there is fundamentally default on the new release of these cameras. I think they are afraid to recall. They just want you to do RMA and if your purchase is out of 30 days, then you are out of the luck.

Basicall what he told me is that they figured out this is the camera sensor calibration problem. And you can not just fix it by the new firmware release. So I would think people should not buy their camera until they find a fix.

Also I bought my camera from Amazon and I hate to say that there is no review to mention this issue. I put my comment there and somehow it was disappeared. You can only get the positive comment there and I think these are Foscam paid commenter. It is insane for this company and Amazon.
happyheart

Postby jojocat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 pm

happyheart wrote:Let me give you an update on this issue. I have a long conversation with the tech support yesterday. If what he told me is about right, then there is fundamentally default on the new release of these cameras. I think they are afraid to recall. They just want you to do RMA and if your purchase is out of 30 days, then you are out of the luck.

Well that's about the worst case I'm afraid of. So far as being out of luck after 30 days...we'll there's a 2 year warranty I think, so they certainly should have to give you an option. Their reputation would get irretrievably trashed if they tried to stick people with this problem.

happyheart wrote:Also I bought my camera from Amazon and I hate to say that there is no review to mention this issue. I put my comment there and somehow it was disappeared. You can only get the positive comment there and I think these are Foscam paid commenter. It is insane for this company and Amazon.

This is odd. Try the link at http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... d=16465311 and if you don't see the review, look for the "Contact Us" thing on the right. I'm pretty sure Foscam can't edit/moderate the reviews - that's part of the amazon platform.

Thanks much for posting the info.
jojocat

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support