Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby jreberry » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:09 am

Good news: I just checked my BBB filing, and Foscam.us replied this morning with a pre-paid shipping label. That was fast as I just filed the complaint yesterday, the BBB sent Foscam.us the complaint this morning, and Foscam.us has already replied to the BBB by providing shipping labels.

So, if you have a camera that exhibits this DSP defect, you purchased the camera through Foscam.us, and you are within the 1 year warranty window, then it is possible to have the camera repaired at no cost and without voiding the warranty. The only additional step was to file a complaint with the BBB, but the turn around on this request was extremely fast.

I'll ship my camera in for repair this week and I'll post an update once I have received the camera.

--Jon
jreberry

Postby z288171 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am

I have just received my components and if you are going to make your own cable, I hope you have good eyes.

The things are tiny.

After this, I should be able to do open heart surgery on an ant.

One down three to go.

Ben
z288171

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:56 am

jreberry wrote:I sent a complaint regarding shipping costs to complain@foscam.us, their response is below...

"Pls contact [Mona, email address removed] directly for the RMA.
Here it is the factory in China,normally,for the RMA,customers need afford the shipping cost that send back the camera,
reseller afford the shipping cost for camera sending back to customers."

So, they stated this as standard policy and directed me to Mona.

Great. I am sure this information will help others.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am

z288171 wrote:I have just received my components and if you are going to make your own cable, I hope you have good eyes.

The things are tiny.

After this, I should be able to do open heart surgery on an ant.

One down three to go.

Ben

LOL.

Yes. My eyes are not bad but when I make connections for the camera I always have a magnifying glass with me.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I have a request for anyone who has successfully connected to the camera with the update cable.

When you connect the camera 3 USB devices are created on your Windows system. Could someone check to see what the USB Device Class Definition for Video Devices are?

I am trying to run down exactly who makes this DSP chipset and it is always currently being referred to as the V399 DSP chip to see if I can locate any utilities to query what firmware version is installed in the DSP chip.

I think the real name of this chipset family/board is:

ARK3399 - Made by Arkmicro Technologies Inc. USB 2.0 PC Camera Controller.

The USB device ID might be something like this:

18ec:3499

Or most likely start with 18ec:

So if someone could post the UBD device ID they see when the USB devices are added to their Windows System, from their windows system, using the Windows Device Manager, when they connect their USB Update cable to the camera. It would be helpful.

Also, if you could post any driver filename and or version for the USB devices. That would be helpful as well.

Trying to see if I can create any methods or even a program, that can query what the current DSP firmware is inside the camera without any need to open the camera up first. But knowing the manufacture is needed to run down this information.

Thanks

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby Lu7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Hello from France,

I unfortunately some buyers Foscam camera with this defect, FI8910W purchased from casabill.com but they do not want to assume the repair claiming an indoor camera does not shoot outside even if it is inside behind a window!
Don would you kindly send me the procedure that I perform the update.
Thank you to others who took part in finding a solution to this problem INSTEAD Foscam who lost a customer ...

Sorry for my english :)

Lu7
Lu7

Postby TheUberOverLord » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Lu7 wrote:Hello from France,

I unfortunately some buyers Foscam camera with this defect, FI8910W purchased from casabill.com but they do not want to assume the repair claiming an indoor camera does not shoot outside even if it is inside behind a window!
Don would you kindly send me the procedure that I perform the update.
Thank you to others who took part in finding a solution to this problem INSTEAD Foscam who lost a customer ...

Sorry for my english :)

Lu7

You are very welcome.

Sent you a PM.

If you use hardware.fr please let them know as well.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby sparkgap » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:26 pm

So far I've been reading that a few people have done the DSP re-flash but nobody reporting success yet because of inability to test the camera due to cloudy weather.

Why not start by increasing the brightness and/or contrast settings to see if the camera reboots or loses video ??
We're all here on pins & needles waiting to hear some results !

Another thing....has anyone tested a camera with the old sensor by increasing the brightness/contrast to see if there is a threshhold at which even the good cameras crap out ??

Doug
sparkgap

Postby z288171 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:43 pm

If I have posted this twice, apologies.

I have updated the camera and it is back up outside.

Mine would reset both day and night, I don't use IR as I have a security light that comes on and gives a good picture.

Right, some observations for the DIYers.

The lens cover has a very thin thread when unscrewed, be careful when you put it back on as you may cross thread it. Make sure it is on before you screw it back on. TAKE YOUR TIME, DON'T FORCE IT.

On the front there is a green looking led, that goes at the bottom or your picture will be upside down.

Some of the screws holding it together are not of best quality so take your time with them.

Windows 7 x64 works fine.

I will see how it works overnight.

Ben.
z288171

Postby z288171 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Sorry, forgot to say that this is a 8906 camera.

One thing I have noticed, is the camera is a lot more sensitive to light at night when the security light comes on.

Will need to play with the settings to get it right.

Ben.
z288171

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support