Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby jreberry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 am

If what he told me is about right, then there is fundamentally default on the new release of these cameras.

Was the tech referring to a specific model, or all MJPEG cameras?
jreberry

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:40 pm

brand new 8910, it's fine on contrast 3 brightness 3 but as soon as I move either of those settings to 4 it reboots. Image quality is inadequate at the 3/3 settings.

I'm trying to play with the outdoor/50mhz/60mhz settings to see if that helps. Lowering the fps does not help.
Gargoyle

Re: 8910w crashes when looking at BRIGHTNESS

Postby FoscamShady » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 am

I took the time to register on this Foscam site to basically agree with a lot of other people. Every time my brightness & contrast setting is set to 5 & 4 my Foscam 8910W fill fail & black out when panning towards a window where the sun shines brightly. If I get my settings down to 4 & 3 (brightness & contrast) the camera seems to work fine.

I have an older model 8918W where the brightness & contrast is set to 6 & 6 and works just fine. That is not possible for my 8910W. Setting it to 6 & 6 is guaranteed to fail when it pans towards a bright, sunlit area.

Foscam needs to acknowledge the problem and then fix it.
FoscamShady

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I spent some time with tech support today. First they flashed the webui to the latest version, tested it, cranked up brightness and contrast to the max and it seemed to be holding fine without reboot. Then they flashed the firmware to the latest version, after the initial install reboot it was still holding fine, but then tech rebooted it again and it wouldn't boot up. Tried the hard reset (button in a pinhole in the base) to restore factory settings; tried that at least 4 times. Nada, it wouldn't start up. So they gave me an RMA.

:cry:

It seemed like the webui update fixed the problem, before the camera died.
Gargoyle

Postby happyheart » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:40 pm

I think everyone should hold on the purchasing until they acknowledge the problem at least.
Personally I don't like their business practice and this will ruin their reputation.
happyheart

Postby happyheart » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm

I don't think WebUI update could fix this problem. Maybe lower level firmware could fix this. And as I was told, this is hardware related problem (image sensor calibration). So it will affect all the camera they are just selling, they are using cheaper image sensor, it seems.

It seemed like the webui update fixed the problem, before the camera died.[/quote]
happyheart

Postby dalepa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't believe this is a hardware issue. My 8910w was working fine until I updated to the latest version.

Appears that bright, or high contrast light is triggering some event causing the camera to reboot, or have major cutout issues.

I have 3 different cameras models 8910, 8905, 8906 now that are having reboots due to bright/contrast light. No issues at night, but come 10-2 when the sun is brightest my cameras reboot continuously. The 8905 acts a little differently (it has latest older firmware) and just looses network pings or very high latency for a few minutes every 30 minutes.

My oldest and 4th 8905 is behaving strange also after upgrading, it's flickering between IR and nonIR every few seconds during the day...

I suspect some type of memory bug that is triggered by a contrast change... Probably the camera is turning on/off IR lights and not doing it right...

Foscam, get your manufactures to fix this ASAP, or a recall should be ordered before your product line get blacklisted in reviews.

happyheart wrote:I don't think WebUI update could fix this problem. Maybe lower level firmware could fix this. And as I was told, this is hardware related problem (image sensor calibration). So it will affect all the camera they are just selling, they are using cheaper image sensor, it seems.

It seemed like the webui update fixed the problem, before the camera died.
[/quote]
dalepa

Postby jojocat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Nada, it wouldn't start up. So they gave me an RMA.

Will you post back and report if the replacement camera has the same problem or not? Thanks. That will probably decide for me if I try to get amazon to take a late return based on it being defective. If they won't do that, I could probably try to do a chargeback through the credit card I guess.
jojocat

Postby Larebear » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:17 pm

I have an 8910 mounted under an eave on my garage outside facing south and subjected to the sun most of the day. It never has rebooted.

It's one of my first 8910's with firmware 11.22.2.47 so that's most likely the reason I'm not having the reboot problem.

All of my 8910's with firmware 11.37.2.51 are mounted inside, but I might experiment with them and put them in direct sunlight to see if they reboot. I don't have any cams looking through windows.
Larebear

Postby jojocat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Larebear wrote:It's one of my first 8910's with firmware 11.22.2.47 so that's most likely the reason I'm not having the reboot problem.

I think the operating theory on this is that the cameras manufactured before a certain date are not affected by this defect, independent of firmware level.

I have a 8910w that I purchased about a year ago that I'm going to try out next to the new one to see if I can confirm that theory. I updated it to the latest firmware before I was aware of the defect.
jojocat

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support