Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby echudoba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:20 pm

8910W back together and working will move outside now for final test.

Don if you will PM me a email address I can send you the picture to post.

Yah, I though it was bricked at first but it will flash. The first computer I used was a I7 64 bit machine. Don't know way it would not work.

Pin 1 is the same as the 5 pin we have pictures of. I used pin 2 for red and pin six for gnd. Four wires straight from the USB cable.
echudoba

Postby raydude » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Don,

I haven't had the opportunity to read the whole thread. I have two indoor cams and one outdoor cam that have the problem. Can you send me the DIY repair instructions. I'm a hardware engineer so I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks much. Saving me from an RMA would be awesome.

Will this work for all cameras or just the ones that have the larger buffer?

Brian
raydude

Postby mciaio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:34 pm

OK, say facing the "open" side of the 7 pin connect, pin 1 is on the left, no dual power or ground needed. I'll be doing this later tonight, which is good because mine freezes in the morning.
mciaio

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 pm

raydude wrote:Don,

I haven't had the opportunity to read the whole thread. I have two indoor cams and one outdoor cam that have the problem. Can you send me the DIY repair instructions. I'm a hardware engineer so I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks much. Saving me from an RMA would be awesome.

Will this work for all cameras or just the ones that have the larger buffer?

Brian

You are very welcome.

My initial background was electronics as well. Courtesy of the U.S. Air Force:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/usaf/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxReflectionProfileByName&displayName=TheUberOverLord

It will work for all MJPEG based camera models, both indoor and outdoor that have this issue. IF both the V399 DSP chip and the OV7740 camera sensor chip are in the cameras. Which the detailed documentation goes into. Because of course you would NOT want to flash DSP firmware for any camera that does not have these chipsets.

Only cameras sold since December 2012 may have these chips. Also, not all MJPEG based cameras, indoor or outdoor may have this issue. So for sure, I would not do this, if your camera is not experiencing this issue.

In your case. You may simply want to use female jumper cables connected to the 4 wires of the USB cable and simply connect the female jumper cables to the pins on the actual camera connector on the cameras PCB ("Printed Circuit Board"). This way you could use the same USB cable without the need to use any fancy camera connectors for both the Indoor and Outdoor camera models.

I have some female to female jumper wires that I use for a USB to RS-232 boards which I use for serial interfaces to both the MJPEG and the H.264 cameras. To access the camera and watch the boot process as well as use it for camera recovery. They happen to match the pin size of the cameras male pins for the cameras connector.

Detailed instructions sent via PM.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:41 pm

echudoba wrote:8910W back together and working will move outside now for final test.

Don if you will PM me a email address I can send you the picture to post.

Yah, I though it was bricked at first but it will flash. The first computer I used was a I7 64 bit machine. Don't know way it would not work.

Pin 1 is the same as the 5 pin we have pictures of. I used pin 2 for red and pin six for gnd. Four wires straight from the USB cable.

Could you please explain what you mean about pin 1 being the same as pin 5?

Sent my email address via PM.

Thanks.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby echudoba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Just tested outside my 8910 side by side with my other one which I have not updated yet. Works great with contrast up. I turn my other one to the same scene and turned up the contrast and it stuck now in rebooting.

DSP flash definitely corrects the issue.

My picture of the 7 pin and board is too large to post. PM me with email if you would like picture until I can make one the right size.

Ed
echudoba

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 pm

echudoba wrote:Just tested outside my 8910 side by side with my other one which I have not updated yet. Works great with contrast up. I turn my other one to the same scene and turned up the contrast and it stuck now in rebooting.

DSP flash definitely corrects the issue.

My picture of the 7 pin and board is too large to post. PM me with email if you would like picture until I can make one the right size.

Ed

Great!

Sent my email address via PM.

Curious. Does the video/images appear to be of any higher quality as well?

I ask, because in the past and currently. Someone was/is charging to upgrade the DSP firmware for MJPEG based camera models, that had a flickering issue. Not directly related to this issue.

Rumors are that the night vision may have been better when this was done as well. So I am wondering if that maybe was incorporated into this version of DSP firmware as well as this fix.

One person who did the upgrade noted that when IR was on, their daytime setting was making the nighttime image brighter. They suggested checking whatever Brightness/Contrast settings you choose for both daytime and nighttime. Once the upgrade is complete.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby echudoba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Here is the 7 pin cable. Pin one on the left. I will get board pictures soon.

I soldered them, you need to be very careful one proper equipment or you will fill the pin up with solder. It would be hard to crimp without a special tool.

Ed
echudoba

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:18 pm

echudoba wrote:Here is the 7 pin cable. Pin one on the left. I will get board pictures soon.

I soldered them, you need to be very careful one proper equipment or you will fill the pin up with solder. It would be hard to crimp without a special tool.

Ed

Thanks so much. Will wait for your other pictures and then update the detailed documentation and then send you a copy of the new detailed documentation.

Any other suggestions for modifications to the detailed instructions?

You are the first person reporting completing the upgrade for an MJPEG based Indoor camera model.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Updated the detailed documentation with the two indoor camera pictures and also associated the wiring diagram pictures with pin numbers with the colors as well. For both the MJPEG indoor and outdoor wiring diagram pictures.

Don
TheUberOverLord

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support