Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby Larebear » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:33 pm

jojocat wrote:I have a 8910w that I purchased about a year ago that I'm going to try out next to the new one to see if I can confirm that theory. I updated it to the latest firmware before I was aware of the defect.

Let us know how your test turns out. As you mentioned, it doesn't appear to be the firmware version that's causing the problem.

I just took my latest 8910 outside that I purchased in December of last year. Firmware is 11.37.2.48 with Web UI 2.4.10.2. I've had it outside for a couple of hours and has never rebooted. Tried panning and tilting it to dark areas and directly into the sun. It's been stable the whole time with no reboots.

I had a couple of 8910's that were rebooting last year. I ended up disabling UPnP and it took care of the problem that I was having. This may be unrelated but thought I'd mention it.
Larebear

Postby dalepa » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Just received my 3rd 8906W, plugged it in inside, no problems.. put it outside and it reboots. ERRRRRRRRRRR

If I put a plastic bag over the camera, no problems... remove the bag and it will reboot.

This is getting ridiculous...

Hey Foscam. Please take your camera outside and plug them in during a bright contrasting day (part sunlight, part shade)... If they reboot, send them back to china, not to your customers!
dalepa

Postby greenman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:54 am

Hi guys,
I recently bought three cameras,
Two 8910 cameras from amazon and a 8918 also from amazon,
All three cameras keep rebooting on panning out the window,
Three cameras, and all three faulty...
I own an old 8918 and it works perfect,
Problems are with the newer cameras...
greenman

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 am

greenman wrote:Hi guys,
I recently bought three cameras,
Two 8910 cameras from amazon and a 8918 also from amazon,
All three cameras keep rebooting on panning out the window,
Three cameras, and all three faulty...
I own an old 8918 and it works perfect,
Problems are with the newer cameras...

It's important to note that Foscam has not formally as of yet said if the cause is hardware or firmware. There are others that have had issues with the x.x.x.51 firmware version. If your camera came with that system firmware version. Then it's possible that firmware is causing the issue and not some hardware issue. Also, not everyone that has upgraded to the x.x.x.51 firmware is having this issue.

Some that had older cameras that have upgraded to x.x.x.51 have also experienced this issue. Which would lead one to believe that this issue could be firmware related. Since those cameras are older.

Since it's not possible to downgrade to older firmware versions after x.x.x.51 has been installed. Minus using a serial connection to the camera, there is no way to determine if this issue is firmware based.

Complicating matters is that the x.x.x.51 firmware does resolve some very serious security issues. So the answer is not to simply not upgrade. Hopefully Foscam will soon state where this issue is located, in the hardware or in the firmware.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby G-Man » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:27 pm

I just received my FI9810 camera this week and have been experiencing the same issue. I have been able to configure it in one of two ways which has eliminated this issue. The first configuration involves setting the display at the lower resolution (320). The second configuration allows me to use the higher resolution but the contrast can be set no higher than 2. It sure seems to me to be a S/W problem and I'm hoping a fix is in the works. I do like the camera and I suppose I can live with either of the two work arounds I'm using. BTW I am running wireless.
G-Man

Postby jojocat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Larebear wrote:Let us know how your test turns out. As you mentioned, it doesn't appear to be the firmware version that's causing the problem.

The older camera didn't have this problem at all in the brief test I was able to do. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get my router set for external access, so I've done all I can for the moment. But I think it's enough proof for me that I'll be sending my newer 8910 with the problem back to amazon to see what I get for the late return. I think if I describe the lack of support on the issue - other than to just say "someday, maybe it will be fixed" in my case, amazon will come though with a full refund.

At least to a level I consider reasonable, there hasn't been enough effort to address, clarify or remedy this by foscam so I'm just going to cut my losses and look for a better vendor. There's nothing worse than trying to get a defect like this fixed when the vendor doesn't want to embrace the problem.
jojocat

Postby jojocat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 am

Just a quick note - I was able to complete the configuration to get remote access and I've been monitoring the camera today - nice bright scene outside that would instantly crash the newer camera (purchased from foscam via amazon April 2013) unless it was set to washed out or lo-res image. No problems at all with the older camera (purchased foscam direct July 2012) at full image detail. It's running the same 11.37.2.51 firmware and 2.4.10.5 UI version. So another confirmation, this is NOT a purely firmware related bug. I did notice the box for the newer camera is slightly smaller than the box for the older camera, and there is different printing on it. Not at all sure that changed same time as the hardware defect was introduced, but it might be a way to find a working used camera. If anyone can confirm that difference, might be helpful.
jojocat

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 pm

jojocat wrote:Just a quick note - I was able to complete the configuration to get remote access and I've been monitoring the camera today - nice bright scene outside that would instantly crash the newer camera (purchased from foscam via amazon April 2013) unless it was set to washed out or lo-res image. No problems at all with the older camera (purchased foscam direct July 2012) at full image detail. It's running the same 11.37.2.51 firmware and 2.4.10.5 UI version. So another confirmation, this is NOT a purely firmware related bug. I did notice the box for the newer camera is slightly smaller than the box for the older camera, and there is different printing on it. Not at all sure that changed same time as the hardware defect was introduced, but it might be a way to find a working used camera. If anyone can confirm that difference, might be helpful.

Is there anything very easily distinguishable on the new box vs. the old? It might help others determine which camera hardware version they have.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby jojocat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm

TheUberOverLord wrote:Is there anything very easily distinguishable on the new box vs. the old? It might help others determine which camera hardware version they have.

Don

Sure, I just grabbed them. The front/back of the newer box has a picture of the 8910 with an iPad and iPhone to the right of it. The old box front/back just has the picture of the 8910 with a list of product features to the right of it, with "Model: FI8910W" at the top of the list in bold.

Another datapoint - the older camera in my case is white, while the newer camera is black. I know that might muddy the waters a bit too, but wanted to make that clear.
jojocat

Postby happyheart » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm

It is a real shame for the company. They could easily re-create the problem. I think Foscam should confirm the problem and find the quick fix. Otherwise nobody should buy any kind of their camera.
happyheart

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support