Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

My F18910W will not connect wirelessly

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

My F18910W will not connect wirelessly

Postby BigSwampgator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Just purchased a Foscam Model F18910W IP Camera. The installation was flawless until I tried to connect wirelessly. Here are the details:
1. Foscam model FR4020A2 ( this supposedly indicates that the camera can only operate on a 2.4 GHZ wifi network).
2. Followed the steps to login the camera while attached to the router via cable. Works fine.
3.Followed the instructions for wireless connection,
3.a Found my network and it loaded my SSID and indicated the following for security. WPA Personal (TKIP)
3b. My router is a Cisco - Linksys 2.4GHZ with a max rate of 54. It is a wireless G router, model WRT 54G - 4 port.
4. My IP address is static.
5. I used inSSIDer to check my network. There are no other networks in the area.
6. I can connect multiple pc's, smartphones and allow visitors to use the network.
I tried rebooting several times and waited many minutes but the camera cannot seem to find and attach wirelessly to my nework.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
BigSwampgator

Re: My F18910W will not connect wirelessly

Postby kumatae » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm in the same boat, I've tried everything! I've even updated the firmware even though it was already with the latest. I even have port forwarding to work but as soon as I unplug, it doesn't work. I hope you have better luck than I do and let me know if you have a solution. I've read on amazon that they simply returned it and worked with the one that was sent in as a replacement. I hope I don't have to deal with this.
kumatae

Postby kumatae » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 am

I was playing around with the settings on my router and the camera and now I can't get anything to work. This is much more frustrating than I had bargained for. Might just consider returning it.
kumatae

Postby BigSwampgator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 am

OK. Finally got it connected wirelessly. Here is what I did.
1. I reread the instructions. It says to "Please click on the submit button after all the settings have been entered. The camera will reboot. After the camera has completed the reboot process, wait 10 seconds and disconnect the network cable.
This is somewhat confusing and I did this many times and it appeared from the status lites on the camera that it appeared to be connecting wirelessly. But I could not get any video and it kept telling me the connection timed out.
2. So here is what seemed to make the difference. I closed the IP camera tool and rebooted it. Instead of going thru the set up again, I just checked the live video (camera not connected via cable) and there was the video coming wirelessly. Nowhere in the instructions does it say to reboot the software, but...it worked.

Nest step is to set up the remote access...more to come.

Hope this helps.
BigSwampgator

Postby kumatae » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 pm

That's exactly what I'm doing and it's still not working. I finally got it to work wired after playing with network settings on everything I could find.

So let me get this, submit the wireless settings and camera will reboot and wait 10 seconds. This whole time, I have IP Camera Tool closed. After I unplug the network cable, I reboot Camera Tool but I get nothing. I just get the green light on the back blinking slowly. This is super frustrating!!!
kumatae

Postby BigSwampgator » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

The only thing I see you are doing differently from what I did is you says you have the camera tool off. The instructions say to leave the menu's alone before you finish. I left the camera tool on and only rebooted it after I wasn't able to see video after the camera rebooted. I then clicked on live video and there it was.
The only other thoughts I have are: Is ActiveX allowed or have you tried turning off your firewall or anti-virus temporarily. I was prompted during the process to allow the camera tool access.
Not sure what else I could suggest at this point.
BigSwampgator

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 am

There are two MAC addresses for these cameras, one is the MAC address used when the camera is connected using a Ethernet cable ("Wired") the other MAC address is for when the camera is connected wirelessly.

IF your Router/AP has MAC address security enabled for wireless devices on your local network, you will need to approve the MAC address for the camera, when the camera is in wireless mode, using the wireless MAC address.

Don
:?: Click on these quick links for HELP with your cameras: :!:
View Cameras On ANY Device: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Wireless Camera Setup Test and Tweak Camera Setup
About Me All of the above tools are FREE! :shock:
TheUberOverLord

Postby kumatae » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Don,

I feel like I'm getting close. I entered the other MAC address and immediately, I saw my green light rapidly blink. But I'm still unable to connect which is very frustrating. I'm definitely losing confidence in my ability to connect this to my wireless network. I've read another post that has similar situation in which you helped out, I'll try everything you mention over there.
kumatae

Postby kumatae » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Okay, as soon as I submitted that last message, everything just came up! Thank you!!!
kumatae

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:54 pm

kumatae wrote:Okay, as soon as I submitted that last message, everything just came up! Thank you!!!

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

Don
:?: Click on these quick links for HELP with your cameras: :!:
View Cameras On ANY Device: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Wireless Camera Setup Test and Tweak Camera Setup
About Me All of the above tools are FREE! :shock:
TheUberOverLord

Next

Return to Technical Support