Foscam Forum • View topic - P2P FI9821W V2

Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

P2P FI9821W V2

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

P2P FI9821W V2

Postby snapper6996 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:48 am

Hi I searched the forum but can not find a answer on how to connect to camera using android app in p2p mode in other words without a router.
direct connection to camera using wifi and my phone
snapper6996

Re: P2P FI9821W V2

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 pm

snapper6996 wrote:Hi I searched the forum but can not find a answer on how to connect to camera using android app in p2p mode in other words without a router.
direct connection to camera using wifi and my phone

Note: This is NOT currently ("formally") documented or supported, but it does work.

You WILL need to assign the camera a static IP Address that is in the same subnet as the android. Example: Android = 192.168.1.10 Camera = 192.168.1.20

You will also need to change the line below using your values shown in the legend below:

Legend

IPAddress = Local IP Address of the camera
Port = Port for Camera
User = Admin level User Id for the camera
Password = Password for the above User
Testing = The SSID name you want the camera to use

Code: Select all
http://IPAddress:Port/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?usr=User&pwd=Password&cmd=setWifiSetting&isEnable=1&isUseWifi=0&ssid=Testing&netType=1&encryptType=0&psk=&authMode=2&keyFormat=0&defaultKey=1&key1=&key2=&key3=&key4=&key1Len=64&key2Len=64&key3Len=64&key4Len=64

The above is one line, with no spaces. It is case sensitive. The forum breaks the above line, into multiple lines.

You only need to do this once. It will stay as it is, for the future, unless changed.

Once you change the values of the above using the Legend. Copy the line into the browser window of your choice. You should see something returned, in the browser window, that Includes Result = 0 if your edits of the above line were done correctly.

After doing the above you should see a SSID that you used that your devices can connect to directly wirelessly without the need of any Router/AP. Once you connect to the SSID of the camera enter the cameras IP Address and port in a browser window of that device. Example:

http://IPaddressOfCamera:PortforCamera

The ONLY way to undo this is to connect the camera to your Router/AP using a Ethernet cable and reset the wireless settings in the camera or to use the Reset button on the bottom of the camera.

The connection is a Ad Hoc wireless connection and has NO wireless security. So it is important to NOT continue to use the default password for the camera which if others can determine the IP Address and port of the camera. They then could connect to the SSID of the camera and access your camera easily otherwise.

You may need to access the camera using a wired Ethernet connection to initially set the static IP Address of the camera or to determine what IP Address, if any, is currently assigned. So that the device you are trying to access the camera directly with, can/will be using a IP Address in the same subnet as the camera.

Once you do set the static IP Address in the cameras configuration. You would not need to use a Router/AP again to access the camera. That said, you should do so when new firmware is released for the camera and repeat the process as needed, when you do.

You might be able to use a friend or family members Router/AP to set these initial settings, if needed. In the event you have no access to a Router/AP to create the wired Ethernet connection to set the Cameras static IP Address.

Please note: The correct term for this is not "p2p" and is formally known as a "Wireless Ad Hoc Connection" More details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby snapper6996 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:34 pm

wow ok thanks will try that even though its sounds complicated :D
snapper6996

Postby TheUberOverLord » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 pm

snapper6996 wrote:wow ok thanks will try that even though its sounds complicated :D

You are very welcome.

Actually, it's less complicated then doing the entire normal camera setup first. Once you assign a static IP Address, in the cameras configuration. It's very easy to access the camera, without a Router/AP in the future. From any browser capable device you may have.

You could also use this, say stored as a file on your devices to access the camera to not be stuck with only using the standard camera interface with your devices as well:

http://foscam.us/forum/post20338.html#p20338

This becomes important, because not all devices, can directly access the cameras standard interface properly.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby RangeMaster » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Legend

Port = Port for Camera

I tried the above code in the single-line URL you listed in your post (changing to my settings in the appropriate places) and got
<CGI_Result>
                 <result>0</result>
               </CGI_Result>
, which I assume is correct.

However, the SSID does not show up for laptop or android devices. Is there something I'm not doing or doing wrong? How can I troubleshoot this?

Laptop (windows 7): I'm looking for the SSID in the network settings.

Android: I'm looking for the SSID I set in the browser in the Wi-Fi settings

Much thanks for the unofficial ad-hoc solution! I hope I can figure out how to get it working.
RangeMaster

Postby gorndorff » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 am

I need some advice on P2P camera set ups. I saw Don's note (I am also a retired vet, Navy 32 years) but it looks like you guys are writing code. I have no idea how to access the camera to do anything like that. I bought the camera as a "wireless" unit. I have Verizon MyFi so no way to connect to a router. I run a iMac as my main computer and then the usual Pad's Pods and iPhone accessories.
So how do I make the unit work from my Verizon system without a router?
Thanks, appreciate any help on this.
George
gorndorff

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:49 pm

RangeMaster wrote:
Legend

Port = Port for Camera

I tried the above code in the single-line URL you listed in your post (changing to my settings in the appropriate places) and got
<CGI_Result>
                 <result>0</result>
               </CGI_Result>
, which I assume is correct.

However, the SSID does not show up for laptop or android devices. Is there something I'm not doing or doing wrong? How can I troubleshoot this?

Laptop (windows 7): I'm looking for the SSID in the network settings.

Android: I'm looking for the SSID I set in the browser in the Wi-Fi settings

Much thanks for the unofficial ad-hoc solution! I hope I can figure out how to get it working.

Sorry for the long delay.

Did you ever see the SSID yet?

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51 pm

gorndorff wrote:I need some advice on P2P camera set ups. I saw Don's note (I am also a retired vet, Navy 32 years) but it looks like you guys are writing code. I have no idea how to access the camera to do anything like that. I bought the camera as a "wireless" unit. I have Verizon MyFi so no way to connect to a router. I run a iMac as my main computer and then the usual Pad's Pods and iPhone accessories.
So how do I make the unit work from my Verizon system without a router?
Thanks, appreciate any help on this.
George

You are very welcome.

Nice to meet another Veteran here.

Have you reviewed this? Does it make any sense?

http://foscam.us/forum/p2p-fi9821w-v2-t7664.html#p36991

Don
TheUberOverLord

Return to General Discussion