Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Port Forwarding with Motorola SBG6580 modem/router; DDNS set

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Port Forwarding with Motorola SBG6580 modem/router; DDNS set

Postby lclark » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:43 pm

:o I sure hope someone can help me !
I have 2 Foscam cameras (FI1819) that I set up previously and had working great -- even with remote access via my Iphone. It took me days to get the remote access working, and I am not even really sure what I did that finally clicked, but they worked.
Now I have a new ISP and a new modem/router is part of my config. It is a Motorola SBG6580.
So I did a net new install. I now have the cameras installed and working fine on my wireless network thru the IP CAMERA TOOL. I assigned port 8085 to 1 camera and 8090 to the other.
The Gateway and DNS Server addresses are the same as my router.
The IP addresses assigned to the camera start with the same 3 1st segments (meaning 192.x.x.nnn).

Once again I have been working on this for days without being successful.

I have got as far as being able to access the camera login page from a separate netbook computer that is on my wireless network.

The DDNS status on the camera device info page shows as success, but I cannot get access through the myname.dyndns.org:8085 address.

Also this new modem/router also has DDNS setting capability -- so which do I use ?

and do I need to use UPnP feature ?

On the modem, I have enabled portforwarding and specified my 'internal IP info' and the ports 8085/8090. Do I need to specify anything on the External Remote Host Addressing info ?????

I'm feeling very lost with this now, so any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED !!!!

lonne

A
lclark

Re: Port Forwarding with Motorola SBG6580 modem/router; DDNS

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:57 pm

In some cases, depending on the Router/AP and/or Router/AP settings, loopback can be disabled. Meaning that it is possible that the Router/AP can deny a remote request to the camera from within the local network. This might be the cause of your issue, but you could prove if it was, by trying to access your camera from outside of your local network or asking someone else to do same.

I am assuming that this Router/AP is the only Router/AP between the cameras and the ISP? That you do not have any Router/AP between the supplied ISP equipment and the cameras?

This all said, please see this:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG6580/Foscam_FI8918W.htm

Don
:?: Click on these quick links for HELP with your cameras: :!:
View Cameras On ANY Device: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Wireless Camera Setup Test and Tweak Camera Setup
About Me All of the above tools are FREE! :shock:
TheUberOverLord

Postby lclark » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Don,

No it is not just within the local network as I tried from my netbook using my bluetooth data connection (to get outside of my network) -- and no success with that either.

Re: the Motorola port forwarding screen shot -- it is a bit "lite" -- do I put the forwarded port # i.e. the 8090 in both the Internal and External port columns. And further -- is my internal the 192.168.x.x -- and the external the 24.207.x.x. (the IP address when I check myipaddress.com) ??

I just can't seem to get this working -- so many hours into it -- so frustrating !!
lclark

Postby lclark » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:15 pm

And to your other question -- I do NOT have any other equipment (router) between the camera & the motorola
lclark

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:42 pm

lclark wrote:And to your other question -- I do NOT have any other equipment (router) between the camera & the motorola

Hello.

The external port should match the internal one, unless there are specific reasons on why you would not want to do that.

The only thing you need to worry about in the Router/AP configuration is the local network 192.168.x.x address no need to worry about any external IP address for the port forwarding setup.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby lclark » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

another question.....

Both the Camera setup screens AND the router set up screens have the DDNS feature that can be enabled as well as the UPnP feature.

Do I set those up (enable them) in both the camera and the router, or just in 1 place -- and which place do I do that ??
lclark

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 pm

lclark wrote:another question.....

Both the Camera setup screens AND the router set up screens have the DDNS feature that can be enabled as well as the UPnP feature.

Do I set those up (enable them) in both the camera and the router, or just in 1 place -- and which place do I do that ??

The DNS in the camera, should be a part of normal static IP address setup, and not optional in the camera configuration.

As far as UPnP goes, if you are going to use port forwarding, then there is not a requirement that this be enabled in the Router/AP or the camera configuration.

You can see this, for how to poplulate the data for Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS information in the camera configuration:

http://foscam.us/forum/a-how-to-assign-static-ip-addresses-to-your-cameras-t3317.html

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby lclark » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:38 am

Hi Don,
My question was regarding the DDNS to use my hostname setup with dyndns.org -- the capability is built in to both the camera and the router so is one better then the other to use.

and to your point on DNS, all of the FOSCAM instructions say that the DNS segments need to be the same as the router IP address

When I look at the details on the Motorola Admin screen, it shows:
My LAN IP is 192.168.0.1
My Wan IP is 24.207.28.xxx
It shows to IP4 DNS servers, 1 starts with 24.207.0 and the other starts with 64.178.142

The only way I can access the camera either direct connected, or via my wireless lan is to set the GATEWAY and DNS server to 192.168.1.x

so a different dns then the motorola shows.

is this contributing to my problem ?

I am really starting to feel like I'm going in circles trying to get this up and running again !!!
lclark

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Sadly, I don't know anything about this Modem/Router/AP, including what the DDNS feature it supplies is capable of doing or not doing.

As far as this DDNS feature, you might be better off posting a post in a Motorola support forum to see is this DDNS feature can really be used as a DDNS for the cameras.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby grege » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Only set it up in one camera OR your router. I chose my router because I was using it for something else before I had the cameras and I was limited to shat service I could use by the router. Is one better than another, I dunno but in my head I would think the router or modem would be better.

Gateway and DNS on the cameras should be the LAN IP address of your router. You said it was 192.168.0.1 so your IP of your cameras should be like 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.6 and gateway and DNS would be 192.168.0.1.
grege

Next

Return to Technical Support