Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Foscam I8910W keeps changing its ip address. Help!

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Foscam I8910W keeps changing its ip address. Help!

Postby pursue » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi,
I just bought a FI8910W wireless ip cam from Foscam. I worked on installation, getting the audio and stuff and managed to get it working. Everything was okay since yesterday. I noticed that the ip address which can be seen on ip camera tool keeps changing even though I do not power off the camera!

For example if it is 198.xxx.1.9 it changes itself to 198.xxx.1.117

Something like that!

So, it becomes unaccessible unless I change it to the new ip address on my netgear router. When I do that, it works again.

But I wonder how will be sure that it won't change its ip address when I will be away from home for holiday? I cannot access my router or PC remotely to change those when I'm away from home.

Anybody willing to help me? You help will be appreciated a lot.

Thanks,
Sandy
pursue

Re: Foscam I8910W keeps changing its ip address. Help!

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 pm

As a Admin for the camera, go to the "Basic Network Settings" uncheck the checkbox "Obtain IP from DHCP Server" enter a Static IP address ("A local IP address, that currently is not in use")

Click the submit button, now try to go to the IP address you assigned.

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby texasjack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I have the same issue (IP address changing). When I go to the basic Network setting and uncheck the "Obtain IP from...." I get a list...
IP Addr:
Subnet MASK:
GATEWAY:
DNS Server:
Do I set them all the same?
texasjack

Postby donked » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:22 pm

I think you need help from a friend who knows a little about networking but if your game.....

Check router settings for its subnet mask settings etc and transfer over to the cameras settings

eg mine is

IP Address - 192.168.1.108 (this is the manual IP address your setting for your camera so it wont change)

subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (the *usual* setting - not neccesarily tho depends on your network settings which you checked)

gateway 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your routers IP address is)

dns server 192.168.1.1 (you can use your routers address or any free DNS server)

Only change the digits after the last decimal place when assigning the static ip address on the camera - keep the rest the same as the routers IP address (eg 192.168.1.XXX - only change the XXX)

You can manually set a port number on the camera also - be sure to setup your router to port forward to the same port number and static IP address you set on the camera also if required
donked

Postby rfresh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:07 pm

>IP Address - 192.168.1.108 (this is the manual IP address your setting
>for your camera so it wont change)

To clarify in my mind: the IP Address above is not the IP address of the camera right? The camera has it's own IP address. What you're setting above for the IP Address field is an unused IP address determined from a ping on your local network, right?

Also, to clarify in my own mind:

>Only change the digits after the last decimal place when assigning
>the static ip address on the camera - keep the rest the same as
>the routers IP address (eg 192.168.1.XXX - only change the XXX)

I pinged my local network and found 192.168.1.10 was not being used so I put that into my IP Address cam field. But, my cam's IP is 192.168.2.x. Does that sound ok?
rfresh

Postby donked » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:40 pm

rfresh wrote:>IP Address - 192.168.1.108 (this is the manual IP address your setting
>for your camera so it wont change)

To clarify in my mind: the IP Address above is not the IP address of the camera right? The camera has it's own IP address. What you're setting above for the IP Address field is an unused IP address determined from a ping on your local network, right?

192.168.1.108 is what my personal IP camera is set to on the camera itself - I set all my devices with a static IP so already knew this address was free - but yes scan first if your not sure, find a free one then set that address on the camera itself

rfresh wrote:Also, to clarify in my own mind:

>Only change the digits after the last decimal place when assigning
>the static ip address on the camera - keep the rest the same as
>the routers IP address (eg 192.168.1.XXX - only change the XXX)

I pinged my local network and found 192.168.1.10 was not being used so I put that into my IP Address cam field. But, my cam's IP is 192.168.2.x. Does that sound ok?

If you put 192.168.1.10 into the cameras settings page IP field - then thats the IP its set to use

If your router IP uses 192.168.1.1 then generally manual IP addresses you set should read somthing like 192.168.1.101/192.168.1.102/192.168.1.103
Notice how its only the last 3 digits changning - the rest stay in the same format as your router usually.

You can check what your routers "preferred" format is - by checking what IP addresses your router has auto assigned to other networked computers - follow their "design" so if they do infact read 192.168.2.1/192.168.2.101 etc then follow that design and use a *2* instead towards the end - but as a loose rule always follow your routers IP design and only change the digits after the last decimal

You can check what kind of IP addresses your routers handing out by hitting a computer on your network - click the start menu then run, type in "cmd" without the quotes and press enter, in the black box that apprears type in "ipconfig /all" (and enter) this will list all your network details including your IP addresses (for that particular PC) then just follow the same basic format only changing the last digita after the decimal
donked

Postby rfresh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Sorry I'm having such a hard time with this but...

The IP Address - 192.168.1.108 you are setting in this field is the SAME IP address that your camera is set to? I was told to ping for an unused IP address and (for me) that was 192.168.1.10 but my router assigned a different IP address to my camera. Are these supposed to match? Maybe that's why I can't set my Basic LAN Setting IP Address field without getting an error...???
rfresh

Postby donked » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 pm

yes 192.168.1.108 is the IP address set on the camera itself - that means the camera has now got a "static" IP set of 192.168.1.108. - I dont need to confirm that this IP address is clear as I run static IP addresses for all my network devices so I already knew it was clear (you need to find a clear one though)

If my router disagrees with this - and says my camera is using a differnt IP address - it means the router is ignoring the static IP I set on the camera - and instead assigning its address instead using DHCP which is not how its supposed to work

In your camera setings page -Untick "obtain IP from DHCP server" else the router will assign a IP address automatically ignoring your settings - which is what it sounds like the problem is

To clarify a ealier post -

these are the settings on my camera

these are the settings on my router

Right click and "save image as" if its running off the screen so you can see the settings properly
donked

Postby rfresh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm

So how do you manually set your camera IP address? On my camera, my router is setting my camera IP address automatically. I think this is where I'm getting crossed up.
rfresh

Postby donked » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:19 pm

you read my previous instructions more carefully lol.....my screenshot shows how to do it if my previous posts are a bit hard to understand....simply change the IP address over to the one you want and UNTICK dhcp and make sure the rest of the settings match your personal network like the port number/dns etc - thats it. No more to do. - a static IP address is now set on the camera

If your router assigns a different IP address to the camera *after following prior instructions* - then its probably a router issue.....as you already uticked use dhcp on the camera so it should be able to choose its own IP address and the router shouldnt be ignoring this and assigning another one

Once you set the cameras IP address, perhaps switch the camera off - then turn the router off, wait 10 seconds and turn router on again, wait 2 minutes then turn the camera on again so it connects with the new settings from a fresh reboot of both router and camera
Last edited by donked on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donked

Next

Return to Technical Support