Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Why Doesn't Camera Report Signal Strength?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Why Doesn't Camera Report Signal Strength?

Postby davahad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 am

My older Panasonic BLC13A Wifi Camera reports signal strength in its on board utilities.

Is there some reason why Foscam F19821W does not?

It would seem that this would resolve a huge # of problems for people with wifi issues and/or defective hardware and be a great tool for troubleshooting the cameras wifi.

For example I can go and measure the signal strength at a certain location in the house using my phone and software which is great. I know there is a great signal at the cameras location but I have no idea how the camera sees the signal. Someone else posted they took apart the camera and cleaned the leads to the antenna and that solved their connection issues so perhaps alot of the wifi issues are related to poor manufacturing.

This stuff is made in China so I question the quality of the units and the support staff apparently doesn't use the cameras the same way we do here in the US. That is, I don't have my camera in the same room as my router. It is on the other side of the house and it really doesn't do me any good to know that the wifi works great sitting next to the router. Also, I don't use WEP for encryption for many reasons so why they consider this an option to fix wifi issues is crazy to me.

What would help is knowing how good or bad the Camera sees the wifi signal.

What would help is know ho
davahad

Re: Why Doesn't Camera Report Signal Strength?

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 am

It does. Please see this post and the posts above it, on the same page there:

new-router-same-wireless-issues-with-f19821w-t4616-40.html#p22152

It should be noted. That while you can't tell the channel the wireless networks displayed in the graphics are using, as a result of a wireless "Scan" done from the standard camera interface. The order of the list of SSIDs is by percent quality signal being received by the camera. Highest at the top, lowest at the bottom. One should try to get the camera to see your SSID as the very top SSID being seen by the camera, when possible.

Using the methods shown, in the above link. In combination with the tool used shown in the posts above the post the link above links to. It's possible to determine the channels that the SSIDs are on, that are listed in the "Scan" results, as well as the actual percent quality of the SSIDs listed there as well.

The WEP options is NOT a solution. That said, it maybe a temporary workaround, while these WiFi issues are being addressed. Depending on the situation. Some may choose this workaround for the moment, others may not.

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby davahad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

It would be great if they added another column showing the actual signal strength (ie., -60db). That way you can quantify any changes that are made in an effort to get a better signal.

It would also help if the camera created a log file when it drops the connection showing at least the Date/Time it happened and if possible the reason for the drop.
davahad

Postby TheUberOverLord » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm

davahad wrote:It would be great if they added another column showing the actual signal strength (ie., -60db). That way you can quantify any changes that are made in an effort to get a better signal.

It would also help if the camera created a log file when it drops the connection showing at least the Date/Time it happened and if possible the reason for the drop.

IMHO. As stated in my prior posts. If you also look at the links you can see that it's very possible to be crowded by so many nearby wireless networks, that the signal strength alone, is not helpful.

This is because, there very well can and could be stronger wireless networks nearby you, that have no cause an effect due to them being so far away from the channel(s) your wireless network is using, that without also knowing the channels they are using, is not helpful to only know their signal strength.

In fact, not having that information, would cause one to be very concerned, when in some cases, one would be not need to be.

Yes. It would also be a great idea to have a detailed system log, that one could enable/disable and each camera owner could then decide how much detailed logging was being performed by the camera.

Currently. Once the camera is powered down and/or rebooted. When it comes back. Any current logs entries are removed, by default as well, which also maybe should be optional. Especially, if those logs could be optionally stored on a SD card, if more log space was needed.

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Return to Technical Support