Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Foscam FI8905W low temperatures

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Foscam FI8905W low temperatures

Postby Cheryan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 am

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone had seen the same. I own a FI8905W outdoor camera, upgraded the firmware to the latest version, configured the camera to another port (8088), configured the wifi. Rebooted the camera, checked it and it worked fine.
So I putted the camer outdoor.
After a few hours the camera disappeared from my network.
I then wired the network to it again (indoor) and found that the camera had completely lost it's configuration.
The above repeated two more times.
After that I decided to keep the camera indoor and it worked fine for three days. So I figured that it was time to put it outside again.. guess what: after a couple of hours a complete loss of configuration.

So I contacted my reseller. This guy now thinks it has to do with my wifi channel (I'll change that this evening) and therefore my signal strength (which is 82% accoring to the router).

But what I don't understand is how the loss of wifi network could result in a complete loss of configuration.

I think it has to do with the outdoor temperature, which is around 0 degrees celsius (32 F) til -5 degrees celcius (23 F) at the moment. The camera get too cold and then the memory is wiped, which results in factory default setting, or complete loss of my configuration.

What are your thoughts?
Cheryan

Re: Foscam FI8905W low temperatures

Postby Robertwav1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 am

Hello, sorry to tell you this but the wifi sucks. My cameras have been up for about a year and a half now and no problems with them wired. Temperature was frigid around here what what I understand, I was away for four months and the cams worked flawlessly. I've been through the wifi thingy with these and nothing but heartache. Do yourself a favor and run the cable, you will be a lot happier. I guess it might work if you are right next to the router but who does that, especially if the cameras are outside. Good Luck!
Robertwav1

Postby Cheryan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:45 am

@Robertwav1 Thanks for your reply! Looks like I have a new project on my hands..

Strange though that the camara resets itselfs to factory defaults.. a fail save perhaps?
Cheryan

Postby Tourer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:48 am

I have fi8905w (wired) and fi8918w (wireless) installed outdoors. AP is TPLink WA701ND with external antenna.
It was up to -40C this winter here in Syberia, and the cameras work well. Fi8905w reboots one or two times a week, but it doesn't cause any problems for me. The only moment is that clock settings are not saved, so there's usually 1970 and the random time on the cameras. Entering local NTP server doesn't help. I use stand-alone monitoring software (Zoneminder), so the camera's local time isn't important for me.
Tourer

Return to Technical Support