Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

WARNING: Foscam US has been notified of 18 security vulnerabilities that exist on cameras manufactured by Shenzhen Foscam which leave users vulnerable to hacks which allow attackers to remotely take-over cameras, live stream, download stored files and even compromise other devices located on the local network. (Source: F-Secure Report available here). The models affected include the following:

C1

C1 Lite

C2

FI9800

FI9826P

FI9828P

FI9851P

FI9853EP

FI9901EP

FI9903P

FI9928P

R2

(Source CVE Details report available here

Foscam Shenzhen currently has not responded and has not yet provided any patch or fix to address the vulnerabilities. (Source: Arstechnica https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/internet-cameras-expose-private-video-feeds-and-remote-controls/)

The vulnerabilities affect "Foscam" branded cameras and cameras manufactured by China-based Shenzhen Foscam only. The vulnerabilities do not affect Amcrest or FDT branded cameras which are produced by a separate factory and R&D team totally unrelated to Foscam Shenzhen. Amcrest/FDT split off from Foscam Shenzhen in 2015/2016 due to issues relating to distribution, security and quality control and are totally unaffected by these latest vulnerabiltiies which affect China-based Shenzhen Foscam.

More details available here: 

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/internet-cameras-expose-private-video-feeds-and-remote-controls/)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/foscam-camera-flaws,news-25254.html

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. If you have purchased a Foscam camera directly from us or from one of our authorized retailers, technical support is available via email at support@foscam.us.

For customers who have not purchased from us directly, we advise you to please contact Foscam Shenzhen or the distributor which you have purchased from.

Wide Angle lens for FI8905W?

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Re: Wide Angle lens for FI8905W?

Postby killraven » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 am

I think a lot more people than your realize are following this thread. i have for months.
I have 4 foscams on my home property and none need the 12mm zoom lense. I have two 6mm one 4mm and one 2.8mm foscam 8905w cameras. all have the infrared washing people out in the center. i was fortunate enough thanks to these forums to be able to get the right lenses and long enough lenses to block out the ir from entering the lenses. i however am experiencing the exact same problem as you guys (The washed out bright white ring in the center of the image). If a person or animal enters this ring there is vitually no way to identify the person as their facial features are completely whited out due to the bright IR. During the day there is no issues of course. I have one door that is monitored under my deck that even during the day the IR is on so this is a really big issue for me to resolve. it is the camera with the 4mm lense.

Anyone determined if the following will work:

Desolder some of the LEDS. which ones? maybe every other one?

Heat up leds solder and slightly bend all LEDS so that instead of pointing straight ahead they point outwards away from the lenses to more spread out the beam.
killraven

Postby fahrside » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:45 am

The zoom on this camera makes this almost unusable. Tried to use it indoors and it missed about everything in the room unless it was 20-25 feet away. So we tried it outside and although better, the zoom once again defeats the depth of field. So as others have stated, unless you plan to use this camera at a pretty good distance from where you focus, you are going to be a tad disappointed.
fahrside

Postby killraven » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 pm

I disagree. With the proper lense this camera can be an excellent outdoor/indoor close range camera. All we still need to do is tone down the night vision. However, i do agree with you the 12mm is a bit overkill for any type of monitoring within 40 feet. But for an office building mounted 10 stories up it might be great! :)

I bought a 2.8mm lense for this camera on ebay. The 4mm just didnt show enough of the area i wanted to cover. i have the camera mounted high up on an eve but wanted it to cover my entire driveway and two garage doors. I was successful. Even thought the 2.8 lense was over half as long as the 12mm lense i removed.
original 12mm on right 2.8 on left
The problem with a short lense is your lense will "see" the outter black ring on the glass and give you a black ring when viewing the camera and cutout alot of your wide area.
Remove the top shroud and unscrew the front ring and remove the glass. take out the 3 small screw holding the leds in the housing and you will see.
See where my screw driver is pointed and the brass standoffs? Thats what sets where your lenses sets.
Unscrew the standoffs and take two of them and cut them in half with a dremel.
So now you have two long ones and two short ones. store the long ones somewhere just in case you need them.
Now attach the 4 short ones where the long ones were by using the threaded end and screws.

Install the LED ring by putting a dob of hotglue on top of each of the brass posts.
NOTE: since you cut the brass studs in half there is only threads on one side of each "post" i used the threads side to screw to the lense housing. i didnt have a way to thread the other end. hotglue will hold it and make it removable. feel free to come up with some other way to attach it.

Install the glass back again and bam.

2.8mm lense all the way up near the glass. no rings in your view and nice thing is you can use one of the 3$ CCTV lenses or a wide angle lense no problem and you dont have to worry about finding a long lense.
This all depends on how much 30minutes of your time is worth of course.
killraven

Postby Razor512 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 pm

I have been looking to buy some of those supports that you cut in half, wanted to actually extend it about 1.6 inches so I could install a zoom lens in the future.

I am currently working on getting light diffusers (the kind used for led backlit lcd screens) in order to widen the beam of IR light.
Razor512

Postby jon2nd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi All
I to have been following this thread for some time and have changed the lens,which now gives the IR problem.After experimening with different materials as a diffuser ,i have some fantastic results from ,Wait for it (grease proof paper)Yes this does now mean i will have to wait for the wife to go shopping before i can have anymore home baked cakes but atleast i will be able to see her coming up the driveway and not think it's an angel.Seriously though it does seem very effective on dispersing the IR light with out actually blocking it.I shall up some pics when i get back home.
jon2nd

Postby tgranbois » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Jon, thanks for the great work! We're looking forward to seeing your results. If it works out it would also be great if you could let us know which lens you are using!
tgranbois

Postby killraven » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

jon2nd wrote:Hi All
I to have been following this thread for some time and have changed the lens,which now gives the IR problem.After experimening with different materials as a diffuser ,i have some fantastic results from ,Wait for it (grease proof paper)Yes this does now mean i will have to wait for the wife to go shopping before i can have anymore home baked cakes but atleast i will be able to see her coming up the driveway and not think it's an angel.Seriously though it does seem very effective on dispersing the IR light with out actually blocking it.I shall up some pics when i get back home.

Wax paper? please upload some pictures of what you have done and what you used. Patiently waiting....thanks!

EDIT: yes wax paper! just cut a ring and put it behind the glass.so far so good!
killraven

Postby SMaldo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Does anyone know the specific criteria to look for when getting ready to purchase a replacement lens for the FI8905w? As mentioned in this thread the 12mm is just too zoomed for my area and I think the 6mm or 4mm would be much better. I need the picture of the 8918 with the weather proofing and IR capabilities of the 8905.

I found the site below that offers replacement lens, but just not sure what specs to verify.

http://www.closeoutcctv.com/Security-Ca ... s-s/23.htm

I hate to figure this out by trial and error, and was looking for a U.S. based company to avoid international shipping – thanks for any help you can provide.

CCTV Lens ??
CS Mount ??
Board Mount ??
Dimensions ??
Board Lens for CS Mount Box ??
SMaldo

Postby jon2nd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi All
Sorry for the delay in posting, wev'e been really busy and i've had to take the camera down off the back of the house to get the pictures with & without the grease proof paper.
As I posted previously, i have two cameras, my original purchase was a Foscam FI8905W which covers the front driveway with a 12mm lens which is what i needed as it's a long narrow drive.
My second purchase was a chinese copy which i must say is identical to the Foscam FI8905W and I was unaware that it was a copy until it arrived. I was going to send it back but thought i would test it and have to say that it's atleast as good as my original.This to had a 12mm lens and as it covers a smallish side area i thought i would change the lens to a 3.6mm.Now the only difference between the cameras is the lens type, the foscam being a cs type lense the import being a board type lens. I had no trouble geting a lens from the Bay for £3.21 inc delivery ,but this gave me the horrible ir problem with the ring in the centre.
I experimented with different substrates as i work in the plastics industry and had differing effects, none of which seemed good enough.While searching through a cupboard at home i came across the wifes grease proof paper or as our freinds across the pond would say(wax paper) after cutting out a circle for the lens and obviously leaving a gap for the sensor i screwed it back together not expecting much success, but infact was suprised to find that it gives excellent results without a noticeable loss of ir light with the ring of death virtually gone & the only difficulty is keeping the paper from slipping around as you try to screw the front back on. I can not see why this should not work equally aswell with the foscam as iv'e said it is identical to the F18905w. Anyway i have waffled enough so here are some pics with the object (chimnea) set at 6ft.

Regards
jon
3.6mm board type lens

without filter

with filter

As you can see it does do the trick. :D
jon2nd

Postby MadHermit » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Does anyone want to get rid of there 12mm lens let me know.
MadHermit

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion