Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Postby raydude » Fri May 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Edited and Modified ("Bold Text"), By TheUberOverLord AKA Don. To change the title from NOT focusing on only FI8910W camera models and to instead, include ALL MJPEG based camera models. Both Indoor and Outdoor MJPEG based. Camera models. Also adding a statement by Foscam.us a well as providing DIY methods. To fix this issue.

Note: I am NOT nor have I ever been, in the past, an employee of Foscam.com or Foscam.us BUT I am a moderator, in this forum. Which IS a community based forum, where camera owners, help other camera owners. For direct support, please contact your seller directly.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

Please note. This issues WAS/IS not restricted to only the FI8906W camera model. It in fact has been seen in virtually ALL Foscam MJPEG based camera models. According to this thread, at some point.

Because of this. I am sure that this statement below, is meant to apply to ANY Foscam MJPEG camera model that is returned, for this issue and not only the FI8906W camera model.

PLEASE READ THIS STATEMENT BY Foscam.us:

"Please note that all Foscam FI8906W outdoor cameras manufactured after August 15th, 2013 have this issue 100% resolved. In addition, all cameras currently sold by Foscam US through the Foscam US website as well as through Amazon.com direct and the Amazon store "Foscam Digital Technologies LLC" have the issue 100% resolved as of November 2013.

Furthermore, Foscam US (not the manufacturer which is Foscam China) is willing to replace any cameras free of charge (shipping cost covered both ways) which are suffering from this defect. Cameras will be covered if purchased directly from Amazon.com, Foscam Digital Technologies LLC Amazon store or from the Foscam US website. Please contact support@foscam.us if your camera is suffering from this issue and we will happily fix it or replace it free of charge and cover shipping costs both ways. Cameras affected would most likely be those manufactured after January 2013 but before August 2013.

We apologize for the frustration caused to many end users and will do everything within our power to rectify the problem and ensure that you are fully satisfied. Foscam is fully committed and "all-in" with respect to making sure that our customers receive the support and attention they deserve to ensure their satisfaction and repeat business. Again, please contact us at support@foscam.us or call 1-800-930-0949 for immediate assistance 24/7."

End Of Foscm.us Statement

You WILL need to return your camera(s) to your seller for this issue to be resolved OR use the DIY ("Do It Yourself") methods here. IF, you truly, have determined. That your MJPEG based camera. In fact. Has this issue.

Please do NOT automatically ASSUME that your issue IS in fact caused by this problem. This issue. Generally, takes place ONLY, during the daytime. Before FIRST, reviewing the link below. Which applies to MJPEG cameras, being used in both wired and wireless modes.

Check First: http://foscam.us/forum/post15934.html#p15934

When Using the DIY Method

"I strongly suggest you have your seller do this upgrade, when possible. It's a very involved process. Please understand that if you do this without permission from your seller. Most likely, you will void the warranty for your camera. Please also do this at your own risk.

Please do NOT distribute this information or the link to this DIY information because it may change and then there could be multiple copies of this that could harm other camera owners by using older copies."

http://www.saveontelephonebills.com/cam ... ateV15.zip

Please ALSO see this about being able to purchase a pre-wired connector when using this DIY method:

http://foscam.us/forum/mjpeg-cameras-hanging-rebooting-based-on-image-data-t5769-1030.html#p38219

End Of My edit here! The rest is from the original post.

I just received two FI8910W cameras. One is running wireless and is working perfectly.

The other one is wired and works until I aim it in the direction I want it to view. I know this seems strange but the failure seems to be data dependent. When I aim directly out the window it hangs and after a few seconds reboots. While its having problems I can refresh and sometimes get a single frame, but usually I get black or a broken link.

It also crashes when its auto panning if it happens to get close to the image that causes the crash.

It will even crash if I manually (ie pick it up) aim it in the direction I want it to go.

It doesn't matter what position the camera is in, as soon as it looks directly out the window, it crashes.

But if I point in any other direction it works fine.

I haven't swapped the cameras yet to see if the behavior follows the camera.

Device Firmware Version 11.37.2.49
Device Embeded Web UI Version 2.0.10.3

I see nothing in the log about this.

I have disabled DDNS.

The crash is very strange in that it tries to display images for a while, but can't seem to get the stream. On Internet Explorer the frame rate drops to about one frame per second and after about ten seconds of trying it resets and goes back onto pan / scan mode (sometimes).

Any ideas?

I'll update the thread when I swap the cameras. I may also try wireless on the camera to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

PS Here's a capture just to the left of the crash:

foscamdeathimage.jpg

Update: the other camera behaves exactly the same way when its in the same position. It really does seem like a data dependent crash.

Also, when the graphic crashes, if I pan the camera back from the way it came and then refresh the page and click on "server push" again, then the camera will recover (usually).
raydude

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby cinemapw » Sat May 25, 2013 2:56 am

It's the same issue we've found with 8905 and 8906 (and possibly 8904, but I've not tested any 8904 personally): when the picture is very bright or contains many little details (like, in your case, an outdoor scene taken from a window) the camera locks and stops sending the image.

It now seems that this issue affects basically all Foscam MJPEG cameras, maybe because they use the same hardware.

I have some older 8905 (serial number starting with 12) and they are NOT affected by this issue. Only newer ones (serial number starting with 22 and 23).
cinemapw

Postby raydude » Sat May 25, 2013 10:28 am

Update: apparently its time of day dependent as well. This morning, the camera can show the image without a crash. I think it may be because the back ground is bleached out or just the way the sun is hitting from behind.

NoDeathInTheMorningSameLight.jpg
raydude

Postby raydude » Sat May 25, 2013 10:32 am

cinemapw wrote:It's the same issue we've found with 8905 and 8906 (and possibly 8904, but I've not tested any 8904 personally): when the picture is very bright or contains many little details (like, in your case, an outdoor scene taken from a window) the camera locks and stops sending the image.

It now seems that this issue affects basically all Foscam MJPEG cameras, maybe because they use the same hardware.

I have some older 8905 (serial number starting with 12) and they are NOT affected by this issue. Only newer ones (serial number starting with 22 and 23).

Thanks for replying.

I'm guessing the mjpeg core has this bug and it generates bad data causing the whole pipeline to go nuts. I used to design image sensors so I can see this happening quite easily.

Is there nothing to be done? This is a show stopper for me. I'll have to buy a different camera for this window if I can't get it to work.
raydude

Postby raydude » Sat May 25, 2013 10:53 am

This image will crash the camera if the brightness is brought up.

I don't know if you guys have a model of the compression algo or the actual code, but this should be able to reproduce the failure and fix the bug for future generations.

CrashesAtHigherBrightness640x480.jpg
raydude

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sun May 26, 2013 6:33 pm

raydude wrote:This image will crash the camera if the brightness is brought up.

I don't know if you guys have a model of the compression algo or the actual code, but this should be able to reproduce the failure and fix the bug for future generations.

CrashesAtHigherBrightness640x480.jpg

What ISP Equipment is in your local network as well as are you using any Ethernet switches/bridges or wireless repeaters in your local network equipment?

What is the Brand, Model and version of the Router/AP and what ISP service do you have. DSL or Broadband?

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby crapule » Sun May 26, 2013 11:36 pm

I am experiencing the exact same problem on two recently purchased 8910w units. I installed the two units a couple of days ago and they are pointed outside through windows. Everything worked great the first day (which was a cloudy day) and was seeing a frame rate of 7-15 fps throughout the day. Not a single reboot. The second day (which was a bright sunny day) was a different story. The units started to reboot constantly (I programmed a preset (pointing outside) to return to after a reboot). When pointing the units inside the house all works without issues again. When slowly moving to the window the frame rate would quickly drop to 1-2 fps, then freeze and ultimately reboot.

I ruled out the following:

- Standard wireless antenna vs 9db antenna
- Wired vs wireless
- ddns vs no ddns
- blue iris 3 vs web interface
- Overheating - switched the units of for a while

I ended up downgrading the screen resolution to 320x240. Everything works great now (with the exception of the low resolution which of course is not acceptable) and ironically I am measuring a higher data throughput through the network. This leads me to believe that the unit is the bottleneck (CPU?) and simple cannot handle bright exposure image feeds which contain more visual information.

I have included additional information about my setup:

- ISP Verizon Fios
- Verizon Actiontech Mi424wr
- flat network
- 25Mbsp up/50 Mbps down
- Blue Iris 3 software
- Camera's firmware: 11.37.2.49
- Web UI version: 2.0.10.3
- Static IP address
- WIFI WEP encryption

If anyone knows any other workaround or things to try it would be very much appreciated. Love the camera functionality, but clearly they are useless with this issue. Did previous firmware versions have this issue? This issue must be very easy to reproduce. Thanks in advance.
crapule

Postby cinemapw » Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 am

)This leads me to believe that the unit is the bottleneck (CPU?) and simple cannot handle bright exposure image feeds which contain more visual information.

You may very well be right, since 8905s with older hardware are NOT affected by this issue.

It appears that Foscam is now using cheaper, inferior hardware unable to properly process 640x480 images.

At this point, I would advise anyone NOT to buy ANY Foscam MJPEG cameras, indoor or outdoor, until this issue is officially acknowledged.
cinemapw

Postby TheUberOverLord » Mon May 27, 2013 10:36 am

cinemapw wrote:
)This leads me to believe that the unit is the bottleneck (CPU?) and simple cannot handle bright exposure image feeds which contain more visual information.

You may very well be right, since 8905s with older hardware are NOT affected by this issue.

It appears that Foscam is now using cheaper, inferior hardware unable to properly process 640x480 images.

At this point, I would advise anyone NOT to buy ANY Foscam MJPEG cameras, indoor or outdoor, until this issue is officially acknowledged.

Many of these 3rd party software providers. Have a user forum. It might be a good idea to check them for posts where others have had the same issues and see if there are also solutions posted there as well.

Don
TheUberOverLord

Postby crapule » Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 am

No luck on other 3rd party forums, but based on the testing I did (3rd party software and browser have exact same issue) it appears to be related to the units I received. Based on time stamps of similar posts it appears that this issue was recently introduced. Maybe HW change or Firmware or combination of both causing this? I attempted the downgrade the firmware, but this is not an option (only able to find roll forward patches).

Such a shame. Love the form factor and functionality, but if I am only able to get it to work at 320x240 I will return the units I already received and will cancel the remaining units that I ordered.

I logged a case with Foscam support too. Hopefully they will respond.
crapule

Next

Return to Technical Support