Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Wireless range problems

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Wireless range problems

Postby georgemac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:33 pm

After reading many many wireless IP camera reviews I ordered this one thinking it appeared to be the best for the money. I am connecting it wirelessly to an Asus N-66U router which is fairly new and at very close range it works well enough, but seems to have a very limited range before the FPS drops to around 2-3 frames per second.

At first I just assumed the one I got was broken or defective and I exchanged it for another one of the same model. Unfortunately I see no difference in the replacement. Right now I can get around 25' from my router before the signals fails entirely and my various tests are in locations where I have perfectly solid connections on a laptop and my wifi enabled phone.

I don't know whether you accidentally released a batch of them with marginal radios or if this is pretty well what I would expect from any maker of IP cameras since I have no other ones on hand to compare it to. I am still debating returning it for a refund because I bought it for wireless use but at the range it is useful I could easily just hard wire it.

I wonder if there is any cure for this and whether it is worth my time to swap it in again for another one, or whether I should just get a refund and go shopping for another brand?
georgemac

Re: Wireless range problems

Postby georgemac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Posted to add that my current cam has firmware 11.37.2.49 in case that might be related.
georgemac

Postby pkbristol » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:49 pm

What camera model ?
I'm also using an Asus RT-N66U.I have 4 x 18916 camera's, my fps right now ranges between 6.3fps and 8.4 fps.
However i do find that changes throughout the day, anything between 13fps and 2 fps.
All of the 4 cameras fps go up or down together so i'm convinced it's an interference issue. One thing which definitely hits the fps is when the microwave is on.
I regularly do a network scan for other routers broadcasting in my area especially when the fps drops on the cameras, i never find any other routers using the same channels me, ch 13.

Paul.
Paul Kellett,electrician, Bristol UK.
4 x foscam 8916W,various "android cameras", virgin media superhub in modem mode > Asus RT-N66U, tinycam monitor on android,iSPY connect on pc.
pkbristol

Postby centaur » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:08 am

Reading your posts with interest, particularly as you are both in the UK - as I am, I think many forum users are based in the US so it's good to know that you guys are having the same issues as I am with my F18910W. I have left a few posts regarding the camera constantly rebooting.
I bought this because I have a friend who gets excellent use from one and I originally tried an ALDI copy of this camera but the lens and picture quality is very poor so returned it and went for the Foscam.
I used the camera wirelessly with no real issues when within the house where my router is however, I wanted it in the garage as a monitor for the house and the garage itself - wirelessly!!
I used a netgear WS3000 to extent my wireless network and got a pretty good signal from it which was good for my phone and laptop but the camera is not happy - constantly rebooting itself. I changed the configuration to site the range extender in the garage with an ethernet link to the camera instead of wireless on the presumption that the camera radio link was the problem. I get a good wireless link to the garage at least with my phone but the camera is still recycling.
I suspect interference as it usually works fine at night and screws up in daytime - including weekends.
I would have hoped that the camera wireless would be robust enough to cope with external interference - apparently not! I am also unsure what to do in terms of trying to get my money back - but which wireless ip camera would be better and how can you tell before purchase?

Cheers
centaur

Postby georgemac » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:57 am

Oops... it's a 18910W and when I scan for other wireless networks around my place I see that there are none. It's a sparsely populated area.

I was going to look at the FPS just now with it sitting about 15 feet away but even though there is a fast blinking yellow light I can't get anything out of it past the log in screen. Since this is my second one I am not inclined to try another one if I decide to just return this one.

Adding to say after rebooting it (power cycle) I was able to connect and I'm getting 2.4 FPS. I suppose it had crashed or locked up since it was on overnight. That's encouraging!
georgemac

Postby georgemac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

Does anyone from Foscam read these forums or are we just really talking to the wind (and each other) here?
georgemac

Postby centaur » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 pm

well, at least we are speaking!
I am completely fed up with this issue and will get in touch with Foscam UK tomorrow and get the camera replaced in the vague off-chance that I have a faulty unit. I have found it difficult to find another IP camera for the price - have you guys found another one anywhere?

Cheers
centaur

Postby Javier M » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:08 pm

I found a camera with features similar to the FI8910W but cheaper. It is a Avacom M1060W. It kind of looks like a FI8918W which is what I was replacing because of the funky colors it showed during daylight. My kid had a light blue blanket that looked pink on the FI8918W. The WiFi range seems to be pretty good too.
Javier M

Postby georgemac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I only saw two reviews on Amazon for that Avacom M1060W but they were both positive. I'd like to find someone that owns one to find out if the wireless range is any better than the one I currently own.
georgemac

Postby centaur » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi,

As my camera is still playing up I decided to ask Foscam to replace it - they sent an RMA number and a return label but no instructions about how to send it! Do I have to pay for its return? they have not confirmed that they will replace the camera or refund the cost.
If you have already returned a camera - what's the procedure - not at all impressed with 'customer service' here.

Cheers
centaur

Next

Return to Technical Support