Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Some questions about fi8918 and fi8910

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Some questions about fi8918 and fi8910

Postby techiemon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:40 am

Hi all, some questions about fi8918 and fi8910.

If just for household use to monitor pets while traveling, would fi8918 be
sufficient?

I like that fi8918 can be mounted either stand alone or hanging, as we will probably hang them from our ambient lighting areas. can the 8910 also be hung? I did not see any accessories for this on one ebay that come together with the cams. I am looking at buying 5 of them together.

Are these really that easy to set up? I run a modem that connects to a wife-fi router that I only turn on if I want to use wifi for my smartphone. Would the device that comes with these just plug into the router, or I just need the routers IP to let the cams know the router IP? Or I can do everything from the FOSCAM software and to worry about the router at all?

How do these record? Is there an SD card in each of them or do they have to be connected to a computer in order to download and save the video files? I ask this because if we go on vacation we turn off the computers. I can leave the router on of course so I can access the cams anywhere, but how does the recordings work?

How long is the AC plug that comes with the camera? 10 foot?

Thanks
techiemon

Re: Some questions about fi8918 and fi8910

Postby Warfanax » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:37 pm

techiemon wrote:Hi all, some questions about fi8918 and fi8910.

If just for household use to monitor pets while traveling, would fi8918 be
sufficient?

I like that fi8918 can be mounted either stand alone or hanging, as we will probably hang them from our ambient lighting areas. can the 8910 also be hung? I did not see any accessories for this on one ebay that come together with the cams. I am looking at buying 5 of them together.

Are these really that easy to set up? I run a modem that connects to a wife-fi router that I only turn on if I want to use wifi for my smartphone. Would the device that comes with these just plug into the router, or I just need the routers IP to let the cams know the router IP? Or I can do everything from the FOSCAM software and to worry about the router at all?

How do these record? Is there an SD card in each of them or do they have to be connected to a computer in order to download and save the video files? I ask this because if we go on vacation we turn off the computers. I can leave the router on of course so I can access the cams anywhere, but how does the recordings work?

How long is the AC plug that comes with the camera? 10 foot?

Thanks

All cam models come with mounting brackets. Don't worry about it.

Setup is fairly easy for FI8910W. You first connect it to your router with a cable (it comes with it) then open your laptop and follow the instructions in cd.

If you wanna acces from your phone using 3G/4g you have to enable DDNS in camera settings and forward a port in your modem/router.

Don't expect to see high fps if you remotely access from your phone. I have 4g smartphone and I get 3fps if view VGA. For QVGA I get 8fps.

Only FI8921w comes with built in ad card and record to it. However as far as I know it doesn't record 720p on ad card. I don't know much about recording With these cameras.

Cable that comes with it is not 10foot. Not even close. I didn't measure it but I would say its more like 5 foot.
Warfanax

Re: Some questions about fi8918 and fi8910

Postby techiemon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Warfanax wrote:All cam models come with mounting brackets. Don't worry about it.

Setup is fairly easy for FI8910W. You first connect it to your router with a cable (it comes with it) then open your laptop and follow the instructions in cd.

If you wanna acces from your phone using 3G/4g you have to enable DDNS in camera settings and forward a port in your modem/router.

Don't expect to see high fps if you remotely access from your phone. I have 4g smartphone and I get 3fps if view VGA. For QVGA I get 8fps.

Only FI8921w comes with built in ad card and record to it. However as far as I know it doesn't record 720p on ad card. I don't know much about recording With these cameras.

Cable that comes with it is not 10foot. Not even close. I didn't measure it but I would say its more like 5 foot.

Thanks for your reply.

I will get another DDNS box right? Separate from the camera to plug into the router? I want to confirm this because I do not want wires all over the house with this, that is why I want the wi-fi feature. I assume the box will connect to the router.

As for recording, ok, I need some more feedback from others on this. I will check out 8921, but how new is this one and does it have the IR cut, I will check that. Seems they don't really sell this on Ebay either and it seems much more expensive than the others.

I am curious to know on all of these how the audio in and out works, the device needs an additional mic and speaker or does it run through the camera?
techiemon

Return to General Discussion