Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

firmware error when try to flash...

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

firmware error when try to flash...

Postby sincerity » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 pm

When I try to flash an older firmware after the newer one broke wifi on 8910w, I am on 11.37.2.51 trying to go back to 2.46...i get error: bad checksum...any ideas?
sincerity

Re: firmware error when try to flash...

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:52 pm

sincerity wrote:When I try to flash an older firmware after the newer one broke wifi on 8910w, I am on 11.37.2.51 trying to go back to 2.46...i get error: bad checksum...any ideas?

Once you flash the firmware version .51. You cannot go back to an older firmware release.

More here: http://foscam.us/forum/new-firmware-51-version-for-foscam-mjpg-camera-released-t5863.html#p28096

When you say WiFi is broken, please provide more details as to what you experience when trying WiFi.

For example. Have you done a new scan to see if your wireless network can be found?

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby sincerity » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks Don.....yes it can find the network on the scan no problem. Have other cams on same network not upgraded and they work fine as this one did before upgrade. Tried factory reset ... Cam is viewable while hard wired in and outside of network ...please let me know what other info will be useful
sincerity

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:36 pm

sincerity wrote:Thanks Don.....yes it can find the network on the scan no problem. Have other cams on same network not upgraded and they work fine as this one did before upgrade. Tried factory reset ... Cam is viewable while hard wired in and outside of network ...please let me know what other info will be useful

You are very welcome.

Do you have MAC Address security enabled in your Router/AP for wireless devices? If so, could you please check to see that the camera has been approved. I am wondering if this could be the cause of your issue.

Not sure how it could go from approved to not approved. But worth a check at least.

Secondly. Do you remember what the old system firmware version was in the camera? Also, on the bottom of this camera, does it say "VNT" or "FR" followed by a wireless MAC Address?

Don
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby EricJ320 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Not to butt in here, but I'm am anxious to see the results of this issue. I upgraded my 3 8910W's tonight and the upgrade went flawlessly. They all worked well after the upgrade, right up to the point I took them wirelessly again. When they scan they no longer see any wireless networks, even when sitting directly adjacent to the router. At this point I have 3 very light paper weights. I don't remember what the previous firmware was, but I double and triple checked that it was an appropriate version to upgrade. If I recall it was 11.22.2.48, but I can't be completely sure of the last number. I have to believe this is a bug in the new firmware. It can't be that just by coincidence all 3 of my 8910W's wifi broke at the same time.

Please help!
EricJ320

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 pm

EricJ320 wrote:Not to butt in here, but I'm am anxious to see the results of this issue. I upgraded my 3 8910W's tonight and the upgrade went flawlessly. They all worked well after the upgrade, right up to the point I took them wirelessly again. When they scan they no longer see any wireless networks, even when sitting directly adjacent to the router. At this point I have 3 very light paper weights. I don't remember what the previous firmware was, but I double and triple checked that it was an appropriate version to upgrade. If I recall it was 11.22.2.48, but I can't be completely sure of the last number. I have to believe this is a bug in the new firmware. It can't be that just by coincidence all 3 of my 8910W's wifi broke at the same time.

Please help!

On the bottom of this camera, does it say "VNT" or "FR" followed by a wireless MAC Address?

What are the current system firmware versions installed in the cameras?

Don
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby EricJ320 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 pm

TheUberOverLord wrote:[
On the bottom of this camera, does it say "VNT" or "FR" followed by a wireless MAC Address?

Don

2 of them say FR, and 1 says VNT. This all happened as a result of installing the new firmware that I downloaded from the Foscam.US website immediately prior to installing. They all worked on wifi just moments before the upgrade. Now they all work fine if connect to my route via cable, but have no wifi functionality. Scanning results in no found networks, inputting my network name and password in manually does nothing either.
EricJ320

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 am

EricJ320 wrote:
TheUberOverLord wrote:[

Don

2 of them say FR, and 1 says VNT. This all happened as a result of installing the new firmware that I downloaded from the Foscam.US website immediately prior to installing. They all worked on wifi just moments before the upgrade. Now they all work fine if connect to my route via cable, but have no wifi functionality. Scanning results in no found networks, inputting my network name and password in manually does nothing either.

For each camera, please list the system Firmware versions currently installed as well as if the camera has "FR" or "VNT". Example:

Cam1: xx.xx.xx.xx FR
Cam2: xx.xx.xx.xx VNT
Cam3: xx.xx.xx.xx FR

Don
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Postby EricJ320 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:31 am

TheUberOverLord wrote:
For each camera, please list the system Firmware versions currently installed as well as if the camera has "FR" or "VNT". Example:

Don

Camera 1: 11.22.2.51, VNT
Camera 2: 11.22.2.51, FR
Camera 3: 11.22.2.51, FR

All work great wired, none have wifi working or show any results after scanning.
EricJ320

Postby TheUberOverLord » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:43 am

EricJ320 wrote:
TheUberOverLord wrote:

Don

Camera 1: 11.22.2.51, VNT
Camera 2: 11.22.2.51, FR
Camera 3: 11.22.2.51, FR

All work great wired, none have wifi working or show any results after scanning.

You have the wrong firmware installed in cameras 2 and 3. Those two cameras should have firmware versions 11.37.2.51 installed, not 11.22.2.51. So please go here and re-install the proper firmware for those two cameras:

http://foscam.com/down3.aspx

ALL of the MJPEG camera models have more than one hardware version of the same camera model. The first two sets of digits of a system firmware version designate the hardware version of that camera model.

This is why there are multiple firmware versions in the download area for the same camera model.

Cameras with "FR" on the bottom of the camera can ONLY use system firmware versions 11.37.x.x this is because they contain wireless daughter boards inside the camera that support 802.11 b,g,n whereas cameras with "VNT" on the bottom of the camera contain wireless daughter boards inside the camera, that only support 802.11 b,g.

When you upgrade to a wrong version of system firmware for your camera model. Because the wireless board inside the cameras are NOT what that system firmware expects to find. You lose wireless ability for the camera.

The only way to recover wireless ability for that camera, is to install the correct firmware.

Note: Always pay attention to what the first two sets of digits are for the system firmware currently installed in your cameras. Never install firmware that does NOT match those first two sets of digits, otherwise you will be where you are now. Of course never install firmware for your camera that is for another camera model. Even IF the first two sets of digits do match.

Don
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Next

Return to Technical Support