Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

FI9821W V2 is this the best I can expect?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

FI9821W V2 is this the best I can expect?

Postby steveconrad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 am

I've been using a FI8918W for a while now and have just bought a FI9821W V2 as a possible upgrade.

Both devices are set up in rooms near each other, looking out onto the street from behind glass (so I cannot use the IR lamps).

When I came to review the video from last night I'm disappointed in the quality of the FI9821WV2 picture.

See this 30 second video from the FI9821WV2: Click for AVI (20MB)

Then compare it to this video from the FI8918W: Click for AVI (13MB)

Both videos were taken at approximately the same time.

What is causing this blue interference/distortion? Is there anything I can do to fix it? There's nothing next to the FI9821WV2 but the fact that the distortion appears to be on one side only suggests interference from somewhere on the left side maybe?

The daytime picture on the FI9821WV2 is perfect.

What do people think?

Cheers,
Steve
steveconrad

Re: FI9821W V2 is this the best I can expect?

Postby david112 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:42 am

In your case, recommend turn the IR lamps on.

In low light condition, there will be lots of "noise" on the video.
david112

Re: FI9821W V2 is this the best I can expect?

Postby dilse » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:09 am

steveconrad wrote:I've been using a FI8918W for a while now and have just bought a FI9821W V2 as a possible upgrade.

Both devices are set up in rooms near each other, looking out onto the street from behind glass (so I cannot use the IR lamps).

When I came to review the video from last night I'm disappointed in the quality of the FI9821WV2 picture.

See this 30 second video from the FI9821WV2: Click for AVI (20MB)

Then compare it to this video from the FI8918W: Click for AVI (13MB)

Both videos were taken at approximately the same time.

What is causing this blue interference/distortion? Is there anything I can do to fix it? There's nothing next to the FI9821WV2 but the fact that the distortion appears to be on one side only suggests interference from somewhere on the left side maybe?

The daytime picture on the FI9821WV2 is perfect.

What do people think?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you, 4 x FI8918W, looking to replace with HD ones FI9821W. I ordered 1 to try out, and was not impressed with the picture during the day or night (this was V1).

I then experienced a firmware update failure, so sent it back on RMA. The replacement took a month (painful), but was worth the wait, as it turn up as a V2 unit.

I fired this up, and was well impressed, picture is much better in daytime, but more worse than the V1 at night. Same issue as you, blue'ish flicker. Mine also looks outside a window, so cannot use IR. I might try covering the LED's, and switch IR on, to see if the IR-Cut helps.

Any advice on this?
If this can be fixed, I will be looking at replacing my other 3 units.
1 x FI9826W
2 x FI9821W V2
2 x FI8918W
dilse

Return to Technical Support