Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

MJPEG Cameras hanging/rebooting based on image data?

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Re: 8910w hanging / rebooting based on image data?

Postby jkoby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:19 pm

jreberry wrote:I'm still curious if these four models use the same sensor. I believe Don asked Foscam that question a while back but has not yet heard a response (correct me if I am wrong about that).

What about the memory chip? Previous testers found it was fine up till it captured images that were over 50KB.

A bad memory module causes some funky issues in a PC. Maybe faulty memory chips? Or maybe a memory leak?

Unfortunately I finished installing all three of my cameras. That means I can't open one right now. I may be able to pull one down tomorrow and examine the internals.

**Edited to add that I'm just trying to come up with ideas due to slow updates from Don, foscam, and all others.
jkoby

Postby happyheart » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Foscam is not a responsible company. This issue has been brought out for 3 months and they should have the finding easily.

If I have not heard any response from them soon, I will report to BBB.
happyheart

Postby Avacomtech Inc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes, for some IP cameras using "V399" sensor controller, if the image size(.jpg file) is large than 60k Bytes, the camera will drop frames, hang or reboot.
Open the camera and check the sensor board, you may find a chip with "V399" mark or "PAP7501" mark, the sensor board firmware has to be upgraded for "V399" chip to solve this problem.
The "V399" chip works with a high performance CMOS image sensor, and the "PAP7501" chip works with a low cost CMOS image sensor.

Avacomtech has redesigned the "V399" sensor board firmware, and launched Avacom M1080W outdoor IP camera with sensor firmware V2.05B, which supports maximum 100k Bytes image(.jpg file) per frame.

V2.05B also supports Enhanced Night Vision(using multi-frame accumulation technology), the night vision image is amazing.

M1080W supports 2.8mm and 4mm lens.

Please call 619-336-0392 for more details.
Last edited by Avacomtech Inc on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Avacomtech Inc

Postby nagnal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 am

Bookmarked I'm sure foscam will axe your post
nagnal

Postby kinhell » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 am

Lowering the brightness to 4 has stopped it rebooting as much.. it still happens in bright sunlight, but just not as much. This shows that it's not an overheating issue & is purely down to the image being captured.

Waiting on a fix......

kinhell

Postby NightRyder » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm

I am having the same issue with 2 of my FI8901W's. One was failing in the late afternoon and the other in the morning, both are facing outdoors through windows, one on the North side of my residence and one on the South. I spent many hours trying to find the cause before discovering that reducing the brightness setting at the problem times stopped the rebooting loops. I have since implemented a workaround but Foscam needs to address this issue ASAP!!

Both cameras were purchased directly from Amazon.com not 3rd party sellers.
NightRyder

Postby jreberry » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks for the information Avacomtech! Jojocat was smart to suggest monitoring the jpg screenshot file size (earlier in this thread).

If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like the 60k cap can be raised to 100k through an update to the firmware if the camera uses a "V399" sensor controller. We would just need to wait for Foscam to implement a firmware update.

If the camera uses a "PAP7501" it sounds like this can not be fixed in firmware. Am I reading correctly, or am I incorrect regarding those statements?

It also sounds like it is unknown if either of these sensors are inside the Foscam cameras. We would require either confirmation from Foscam or a user would need to disassemble the camera to verify.

Happyheart, good idea regarding the BBB. I just checked and Foscam currently has a "D" rating, mainly due to "problems with products/services." I'll go ahead and file a complaint as well, they have had reasonable time to identify, diagnose and resolve this issue.
jreberry

Postby greenman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 pm

hi guys,
back in may i purchased a fi8910 camera from amazon.co.uk,
it worked fine until i panned it out the window on the drive,
on sunny days it was constantly rebooting,so i returned for a refund,
a week later i purchased another fi8910,
tha same problem,kept rebooting,so i also returned for another refund,
i had an old fi8918 and i was very happy with it,so i purchased another fi8918 thinking, at least it should work...,
same story,keeps rebooting,
kept this camera,turned the contrast down to 2,
to recap, i purchased three cameras over a three week period and they were all faulty,
are foscam ever going to sort out this issue...
greenman

Postby Avacomtech Inc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Jreberry,

If a camera using "PAP7501" and it has drop frame/hanging/rebooting issue, the sensor firmware can not be upgraded to solve this problem. But,the probability for this issue on "PAP7501" is low, beacuse "PAP7501" use very high compression ratio for jpeg image, usually the jpg image is small than 60k Bytes with low quality.
Avacomtech Inc

Postby happyheart » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:50 am

Don,

Do you have any news? I have reported BBB about the case but what Foscam will do, nothing?

I don't know if we could influence Amazon to do something. I really hated these CN companies. They really don't care about their own reputation.
happyheart

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support