Important Message from Foscam Digital Technologies Regarding US Sales & Service

Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies) is an independent United States based distributor of "Foscam" branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. Based on our experiences with Foscam and feedback from end users we have launched our own new and improved line of wireless IP cameras and security systems under the Amcrest brand. Working in partnership with the second largest security camera manufacturer in the world, Amcrest was founded with a deep commitment to end-user privacy and security, highly reliable software and hardware as well a seamless and intuitive user experience. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com

If you are having trouble with your Foscam cameras, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and would love to help. For technical support, response to inquiries and for obtaining replacements for any Foscam IP Cameras or NVR products, please reach out to tech@foscam.com or call 1-844-344-1113.

If you are interested in exchanging your Foscam camera for an Amcrest camera, we can offer you a massive loyalty discount, even if you are out of warranty. Please send an email to support@amcrest.com, sales@amcrest.com or call 1-888-212-7538

If you are subscribed to Foscam Cloud (www.foscamcloud.com), please contact cloud@foscam.us for support.

If you currently use the manufacturer's cloud service (www.myfoscam.com or linked in any way to www.foscam.com), you will need to contact them directly for support, at www.myfoscam.com.

Linux Firefox HTML page for rtsp stream using VLC plugin

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

Linux Firefox HTML page for rtsp stream using VLC plugin

Postby gatomalo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi,
I have a FI9831W camera (HD, IR, PT - not Z).

I needed an interface with three requirements:
1- Linux compatible
2- With audio (camera -> viewer)
3- With PTZ (presets, etc.)

After a nice time spent browsing Google results I realized that I had hit a catch-33 :-)
1- As Foscam plugins are not Linux compatible, I couldn't use their "npipcam x" plugin
2- With browser image push interfaces (jpg snapshots, mjpg, etc.) I didn't have sound
3- And RTSP streaming through standard players gave me audio and video but no PTZ (e.g. VLC, Totem, FFmpeg, etc.)

So I decided to create a simple HTML interface that fulfilled all three requirements with the help of browser embedded multimedia player and an RTSP stream from the camera. Then I thought that *maybe* someone else could find this useful.

Disclaimer: I did this for myself. If I ever come back to the forum and I remember my login password, I'll try to help with any questions (if any), but do not expect Linux expertise, camera specific adaptations, plugin troubleshooting, and so on, as I'm not a Linux or IP cameras expert.

You get:
-Provided you have a VLC compatible plugin, a HTML Linux Firefox compatible page that displays up, down, left and right controls, plus some presets and cruise buttons, and an embedded player with your video stream with audio from cam.

You need:
1- Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 here)
2- Firefox (v. 28 here)
3- A VLC Firefox plugin ("mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.4" here)
4- Attached to this post html file "linuxFoscamViewerv01.html.tar" (untar it: tar -xvf)
5- Some html/javascript reading skills

You must:
1- In Linux: if you don't have it already, install Gecko plugin for Mozilla
2- In Firefox: disable all vlc plugins except the plugin named "mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.4" (feel free to experiment with different VLC compatible plugins)
3- In Linux: copy the attached file to your hard drive
3.1- In Linux: untar the file: tar -xvf fileName.tar
4- In Linux: edit the downloaded file with a text editor (gedit, vi) and change the variables between "// Start" and "// End" sections to match your setup
5- In Firefox: open your edited file ("File / Open File "), then wait a couple of seconds for the buffer to fill

You should:
1- In Firefox, to debug errors: open "Tools / Web developer / web console"
2- In Firefox: everytime you edit the code, reload the page with [Shift] + [F5]

You can: If you are willing to change the code...
1- Play with different plugins, changing the function "myInit" and enabling and disabling plugins in Firefox (in my setup, VLC freezed, Totem gave a "Python text/html decoder not installed" error, but Gecko worked just fine. Go to "Tools / Add-ons / Plugins", disable all "VLC" plugins with "Never activate", then enable just one of them)
2- Add different buttons with different commands (e.g. enable/disable IR, more/less preset points, depending on plugin change volume, play or stop, etc.
3- Change player size
4- Adapt this interface for different cameras (very easy, read the code)
5- Post your improvements to this thread

You shouldn't:
- Trust code posted by a stranger in a forum, that asks for IP addresses, user names and passwords, ever. At least, open the file in a text editor, read the code and try to understand how it works, and then, use fake data.

Good luck!
gatomalo

PS: illogical as it sounds, you can have many plugins installed simultaneously for the same media type, but only one will "take control" of the "<embed>" object. This means that you can write code using methods and properties for a plugin, but a different one can be "in charge", making debugging a nightmare. So, disable all VLC plugins except one, then write JS code for this plugin.

PS2: everything should work even if you have different versions of browser, plugin, Linux and cameras than me, as long as the plugin's JS methods and camera's CGI URLs are the same (obviously). Minor changes should be needed to make the page compatible.

PS3: pardon my bugs and me French
gatomalo

Return to Technical Support