Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Record video on NAS

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Record video on NAS

Postby thestarr » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:26 pm

Is it possible to record video directly to a NAS (Network Accessible Storage) drive?

Or does the browser have to be running on a computer?

I want to buy your cameras but want to have a system that does not require a computer on full time.

Just want cameras and a recording device, no computer required.
thestarr

Re: Record video on NAS

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:44 am

I am looking for the same feature as you. Unfortunately the Foscam does not support this function. I have both models (FI8918W and FI8908W). It is NOT possible to record videos when your Browser is closed.

I hope somebody will be able to hack and modify the software.
Matt

Postby peatmoss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi,

My nas is running linux and supports ftp so I have the cam save images to ftp on alarm. Then I run mcoder to convert them to an avi file. I plan to write this up in a shell script and run it hourly to create hourly videos.

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=10 -o test.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v

The problem I have is the IR leds turn off when it starts recording. I even got the new web firmware.

Pete
peatmoss

Postby arymar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi,
I am using a Synology DS408+ with 5 Cameras FI8904W and the NAS records the video by itself. No need to have a PC running a browser at the same time. From the NAS, you can review the videos and extract avi files when needed. In my case, motion detection runs on the NAS, not on the IP Cam, email sent out is also taken care by the NAS on detection.
arymar

Postby jmbrowning » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:46 pm

thestarr wrote:Is it possible to record video directly to a NAS (Network Accessible Storage) drive?

Most NAS appliances have FTP servers that can be configured to accept incoming files.
jmbrowning

Postby peatmoss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi Arymar,

What camera software do you run on your nas?

Thanks,
Pete
peatmoss

Postby arymar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi Pete,
Running Surveillance station 4. This is the package available with a Synology and I added 4 Licenses (to the free provided license) to get the 5 cams running.
Cheers.
Alain
arymar

Postby nicolang » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Pete,

Are you still planning to write this script to create a video file from still images ?

I'm not experienced in this but we could collaborate if you want.

Thanks
Nicolas
nicolang

Postby peatmoss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Nicolas,

Yep it’s simple but it works so far for me. Let me know if you have any ideas for it. Some Linux systems will not support the date -d "-1 hour" math. In that case you will have to find a workaround. I think there is a c program floating around you can use. I'm running CentOS and put the script in /etc/cron.hourly/ and had to install mencoder:
yum install mencoder

Pete

Updated script, date format was single digit like 6 instead of 06

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

# name you gave to cameras delimited by spaces
CAMERAS="ipcam01"

# path to jpg files
PATHTOIMAGES=/home/fuser/cam

# frame rate
FPS=5

# get last hour and file date format
DATESTRING=$(date -d "-1 hour" +'%Y%m%d%H')
FILEDATE=$(date -d "-1 hour" +'%Y-%m-%d-%H')

# loop through each cam and make avi
for CAM in $CAMERAS
do

mencoder "mf://$PATHTOIMAGES/*$CAM*$DATESTRING*.jpg" -mf fps=$FPS -o $PATHTOIMAGES/$FILEDATE-$CAM.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2:vbitrate=800

# uncomment if you want to remove the jpg files when done
  #rm -f $PATHTOIMAGES/*$CAM*$DATESTRING*.jpg

done
peatmoss

Postby knappkw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:24 am

peatmoss wrote:Hi,

My nas is running linux and supports ftp so I have the cam save images to ftp on alarm. Then I run mcoder to convert them to an avi file. I plan to write this up in a shell script and run it hourly to create hourly videos.

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=10 -o test.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v

The problem I have is the IR leds turn off when it starts recording. I even got the new web firmware.

Pete

Pete,
I currently live in Hawaii but will be travel to NC to visit family. I want to install a video surveillance system for my mother while there. She doesn't have internet and wont have it for a few years because she lives so far out in the country. The items i plan on using for this system are as follows:
(1) MacBook Pro
(1) Airport(Mac) or a linksys wireless N router
(1) Iomega network HD- 1TB with ethernet connection
(2) F18918W

I want to setup the system so the cameras record to the network HD while no one is home and without having a computer on. Then, when she is home she can view the cameras using a laptop or iPad.

What are your thoughts? Would you be willing to talk about this over the phone?

I plan on contacting the help line on monday to ask some of these questions but I figured a user like you might know a little more.

Kenneth
knappkw@msn.com
knappkw

Next

Return to General Discussion