Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Remote mount Antenna FI8910w

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Remote mount Antenna FI8910w

Postby zhavener » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I am about to purchase a Cam to monitor the Interior of my barn and would like to know if I could extend the antenna to outside of my barn Via Coaxial Cable or similar to get better reception to the wireless network in my home.
zhavener

Re: Remote mount Antenna FI8910w

Postby H2ans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Foscam sells a 9dbi antenna, which according to the specifications should be 3x more powerful than the standard Foscam antenna.

You could also take a look at an antenna cable, but keep in mind that the 2.4GHz frequency degrades a lot with the cable length (and it might be an expensive solution for a long high grade cable).

I don't have any experience with any of the above though.

Or you could install a wifi range extender/repeater.

I hope this helps.
H2ans

Postby RobertF » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 pm

You didn't say how far the barn is from the house. If you have a laptop, tablet or other network device you could carry it out to the barn and see what kind of signal you get. If the barn is wood there should be very little signal attenuation through the wall.

I have a wireless router setup as a wireless bridge at the far end of my house and it works great. Most newer routers can be configured into several configurations including repeaters and or bridges.

Good luck,
Bob
RobertF

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Foscam uses an SMA connection, but it's the reverse of the SMA connections on pretty much everything else, so a standard 7 or 9 dB antenna for a wifi router won't work without an adapter.

Here is a site that sells the adapters and extension cables, and they also explain the difference between standard and reverse polarity and male and female connectors:
http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/Pa ... les-rp-sma

Gender of SMA refers to the pins inside-not the threads: SMA male has threads on inside.

The longer the extension, the more signal strength you lose, so a 9dB on a 10 foot cable gives less signal than a 9dB connected directly to the cam.

If you have an outlet somewhere between the router and the cam you can add in a range extender. I got a good one from amped wireless. I used to have a hawking, it was weak and a major pain to keep up and connected.

Also, you could run ethernet cable from the cam to a range extender, and then it will connect wirelessly to the router. The cams are pretty weak on their wifi capabilities, range extenders are much stronger. This may be your best bet if you have the available outlet for the range extender.
Gargoyle

Postby TheUberOverLord » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:28 pm

You can get a little crazy with this and do many different things depending on how strong your signal is at the barn from the house.

You would first need to take a laptop out to the barn and see what signal strength you can receive from the Router/AP in the house ("If Any").

Click the picture for the larger image or the link below:

http://www.saveontelephonebills.com/camera/WirelessContentionLarge.png

Please note that the lower the RSSI number, the better the signal strength is, when using this utility, for cases like this.

More here about how to go about that, using the free utility, shown above:

http://foscam.us/forum/fi8910w-randomly-missing-photos-in-email-alerts-t2846.html#p12899

If you can get a reasonable signal, you might even be able to use a 18dB Yagi antenna like this, for a 2.4Ghz wireless network. This could be connected to a range-extender or directly to the camera:

YAGI-G6.jpg
YAGI-G6.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

Here is an example of one such Yagi antenna being sold that has the proper SMA connector as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAGI-18DB-2-4G-WiFi-Booster-Antenna-For-Wireless-IP-Camera-or-Router-1M-Cable-/270830529983?pt=US_Directional_Network_Antennas&hash=item3f0ec1edbf

Note: I see no feedback for this Yagi antenna, and have no idea of how good, this particular one is. But Yagi antennas can work well for WiFi distance issues where you wish to focus the WiFi signal by direction vs. wasting power and sending it all over the place.

Of course you can find other Yagi antennas as well. You might even need one of these on both ends, depending on your situation. Which could be done by using another Router/AP if needed, connected to the primary Router/AP.

But as stated here. The first order of business would be to see what signal strength ("If any") you can get from the barn. Only then can any specific solutions, be suggested.

Don
:?: Click on these links for HELP :!:
View Cameras On ANY Devices: MJPEG Cameras H.264 Cameras
How To: Setup IP Cameras Securely Display IP Cameras On Web
About Me
TheUberOverLord

Return to General Discussion