Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

set-up camera to range extender

Users can ask and answer questions regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Moderators: mycam, FOSCAM

set-up camera to range extender

Postby ca2pa-fos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 am

My signal is too weak for my camera on my enclosed porch so I bought a Belkin range extender. On my iPad I now see two networks both with the same name except one has _et on the end (for extended) and I have to choose which one I want to connect to when using my iPad. If that is the case, then I'd suspect the camera must choose that network also. So how do I get my camera to use the extended network signal? Do I have to reset the camera and reinstall it by plugging it into the Belkin extender during set-up instead of plugging it into my router?
ca2pa-fos

Re: set-up camera to range extender

Postby ca2pa-fos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Never mind. I was making it too complicated. I thought I was going to have to port forward through the signal extender device or something. I found out that I go to the ip camera tool on my computer and click on the camera and when it loads look down at the bottom of the page and click on device management and when you get there, click on wireless LAN settings. Click "Scan" and the new network's SSID shows up on the list (at least my new one did) and then just pick that one. I have mine set up with a WEP key and under key 1, I added my new password for the extended network.
One thing I noticed. When I picked the new wifi network my DDNS status came back with "network error" though the camera was working.
**After posting this, my DDNS came back without the network error, there must be a delay after changing the SSID. So all is good! And with the range extender (I got the Belkin) my cameras' videos pop up even before the window surrounding them do. I'm getting smooth motion. I left my upstairs camera connecting to my router and the downstairs cameras are now connecting to the signal extender located downstairs, and are operating perfectly.
ca2pa-fos

Return to Technical Support