Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Share key

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Share key

Postby pike » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Guys, someone asked this question before but nobody answered it: How do I find my 'Share Key'.
Thanks.
pike

Re: Share key

Postby BigFoot48 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 am

You should be able to find it on your router.
BigFoot48

Postby jauguston » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:58 am

New here-hello group.

I may be on mission impossible as I am a 71 year old non-techie with two FI8918W's. I can get them to work wired but not wireless. I will have I am sure many questions I hope you can help me with and tolerate my less that adaquate understanding of this stuff.

This thread addresses my first question. What IS a Shared Key and where do I look for it.

Second question. My router for our internet use using a Comcast cable modem is a D-Link DIR-655 "N". I do not want to lose the "N" speed setting it down to B/G to accomodate the cams. I have a Cradlepoint CTR350 travel router we no longer use in our motorhome it being replaced by a Cradlepoint CTR35 that will also access WIFI hotspots the 350 would not do. SO-I would like to daisy chain the 350 through the 655 but the both have the same 192.168.0.1 access address. How do I separate them? Thanks for any light you can shine on these things.

I have managed a couple of steps. I have gotten the port changed to 8090 and got the UPNP enabled. I do not see the cams in the available network connections list.

Jim
jauguston

Postby muzicman61 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 am

Well, first let me say a shared key is basically your security encryption for devices to connect to your router. It will vary based on what type of encryption you are using. This is configured in your router under the wireless security settings. WPA2 Personal would be your best choice. Then you also have to choose the passkey which will be a 64 digit hex value. However most routers let you pick a passphrase that they encode into the 64 digit hex key. Trust me you don't want to have to type in a 64 digit hex key.

On your second question, D-Link DIR-655 is your wireless router, not your cable modem. Don't worry about the N speed issue. You can have devices of B/G/N all connecting and using the highest speed they can handle. Having both G & N devices on the same router is not an issue so I don't really see the need to use both routers. It can really complicate your network if you don't know what you are doing.

Also, if you have succesfully set up port forwarding, there is no need to use UPnP unless other devices on your network need it. Typically you'd only enable it if you have some kind of media streamer or Netflix device.

Good luck Jim!
muzicman61

Postby jauguston » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for the explanation. My concern with the "N" router is the Foscam support says these webcams will NOT work on a "N" router and it has to be set down to b/g for it to work. Is that not correct?

Just so I have this right the "share key" is the router password-right? So for example if I had NO encription enabled and the router was as received the share key would be admin?

Jim
jauguston

Postby muzicman61 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 am

They will not connect at N speeds, but they will connect at G speeds and work just fine. I think Foscam support might be suffering from a little language barrier. :)

No, if you have no encryption, then you don't need or have a shared key.
muzicman61

Postby jauguston » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 am

Thank you - Thank you. You have made my day!

Jim
jauguston

Return to General Discussion