Save up to 30% on select Foscam IP Cameras

Success.....running on battery

General discussion regarding Foscam IP Cameras

Re: Success.....running on battery

Postby paul_xedos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:24 pm

With my limited electronics knowledge I've been trying to figure out the chain of connections between panel and camera incorporating the mini-volt.

Is it something like this:

12v 20w panel -> 12v battery -> AnyVolt regulator (+breakout board) -> cigar socket adaptor -> Dc male connector -> camera

Thanks
Paul
paul_xedos

Postby giojohn » Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 pm

They pulled yout Image can you send it to me? [email protected]
JimJ wrote:For anyone interested, I can now claim that running on a battery IS not only possible, but actually works very well. Because I didn't know how tolerant these cameras were to + or - 5VDC, I used a 7805 voltage regulator like this...... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062599
It guarantees no matter what DC voltage I give it, my output is always 5VDC.
I'm using a battery like this... http://www.batterysharks.com/product-p/ ... 7Qodi0Ozaw

The connector into the camera is a ..... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102487

At first it would only power up the camera, but the WIFI wouldn't connect. Then I read where the regulator would shut down if it got too hot. Since the children at my local Radio Crack don't know what a heat sink is, (I'm 54), I just made my own. Picture is attached. I can now easily get 8 hours + of runtime from this setup. Nice to be able to place the camera anywhere in the house. Already had the battery, less than $5 in parts otherwise.
I'll come back and post a picture of the custom case for all this when it's finished.
Jim
heat sink.jpg
giojohn

Postby giojohn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:10 pm

I actually put together a solar powered system that included a Point to Point Ubiquiti radios and one Camera control Relay by Webrelay.

The Radios are 14-15 miles apart and always on.
The Webrelay allows me to turn the Camera on when needed (this is to save power and met our needs)

I built the 5V DC-to-DC converter with a manufactures heat sink
Here is a layout http://www.mylewistown.com/RomiosLayout.docx

A snap shothttp://www.mylewistown.com/IMG_0389.JPG

If you want the complete list of parts and cost E-me or post a reply.
giojohn

Postby ajcoy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:49 am

Hi giojohn,

I am new to the forum here and spotted this thread. I would really like to know as much as possible about how you put your setup together. I am pretty much trying to put together the same setup as you have, coincidentally including the ubiquiti bridges (albeit at a shorter distance). I am not electronically minded (however i am very competent with networks) so i would really appreciate as much info on the electronic hardware you selected and why, and if you can, the price you paid for your equipment.

Any help or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated
ajcoy

Postby Victor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm

About extending the life of the battery as much as possible

A few questions for those who succeed in running their Foscam on batteries

1) What Foscam camera have you run on batteries (FI8908W, FI8918W, etc.)?
2) Have you measured the current the camera draws from batteries? What is the Intensity, I (mA), of this current?
3) Does the intensity of the current drop (how much?) if the motion detection alarm is turned off? The camera microprocessor should be less busy and in consequence it should draw less energy from the battery.
4) Does the above mentioned electric current increase (how much?) if the camera is accessed in an internet browser i.e. when the IP camera pumps live video in the LAN or WAN? The current should increase as long as the processors is busy with streaming video data. Also the antenna should radiate a significant quantity of energy.
5) I guess that if IR lights are turned off this current will also decrease (how much)?
6) If the camera is told to move up down left wright continuously again the current will increase (how much)?
7) Does anybody know if Foscam IP Cameras like FI8908W or FI8918W can be put in a low power consumption mode (sleep state)) and woken up if they are accessed in a browser?

By carefully understanding what setting make the camera to draw a lot of current the battery life can be extended from hours to even days.
Victor

Postby DualFever » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 am

A few questions for those who succeed in running their Foscam on batteries

I'll try and answer the questions the best I can but I have not tested voltages so its going to be just thoughts and suggestions no real tried and tested numbers.

1) What Foscam camera have you run on batteries (FI8908W, FI8918W, etc.)?

Device Firmware Version: 11.22.2.36
Device Embeded Web UI Version: 2.4.18.16
Device Model: FI8918W

2) Have you measured the current the camera draws from batteries?

Not Completely.
Although running the camera @ 5v and 1000mah is possible, but it
will
reduce performance, and your going to have a hard time getting
wifi to work.

What is the Intensity, I (mA), of this current?

Currently running the camera at 5v and 2000mah - 2100mah.

3) Does the intensity of the current drop (how much?) if the motion detection alarm is turned off? The camera microprocessor should be less busy and in consequence it should draw less energy from the battery.

Yes im pretty sure it does drop, it makes sense, but the maximum
power taken at anytime will be 5v 2000mah, so keep in mind this
when deciding on a battery.

4) Does the above mentioned electric current increase (how much?) if the camera is accessed in an internet browser i.e. when the IP camera pumps live video in the LAN or WAN? The current should increase as long as the processors is busy with streaming video data. Also the antenna should radiate a significant quantity of energy.

I'm using a larger 9DBi antenna and the power is sufficient.

5) I guess that if IR lights are turned off this current will also decrease (how much)?

I couldn't really test all this, but i have them turned off only due to
reflection on the window.

6) If the camera is told to move up down left wright continuously again the current will increase (how much)?

Not sure but I'd always go by the maximum input for this, the motors
will take more energy. These are usually down to the operator.
Unless you have it on monitor mode.

7) Does anybody know if Foscam IP Cameras like FI8908W or FI8918W can be put in a low power consumption mode (sleep state)) and woken up if they are accessed in a browser?

No.

By carefully understanding what setting make the camera to draw a lot of current the battery life can be extended from hours to even days.

Ok, so far I've had my camera running 13 hours on a single charge. Not sure how long its got left. The battery indicator has 3/6 bars left. It could be low on the 3rd bar or high not sure.

This is running on via WiFi not wired. Constantly recording with H264WebCam. So always transmitting.

I would say it's going to last ATLEAST another 6 hours if the indicator is right.

Unfortunatley I think I will plug it in because I only wanted the battery to last the night, which its served well over it purpose.

So now for my setup:

PowerGorilla - http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000117522/powergorilla.aspx

This is usually about £150 , but best buy are doing it for £90 so go get it! (you wont find cheaper for this piece of kit). (probably cheaper in US) and its very useful for other things.

GorillaPad - https://powertraveller.com/iwanta/gorillapad/

You need this to get a 5v - 2100mah USB port. It's £10 but you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Set your Output to 8.4v max on your PowerGorilla, plugin and go, you'll probably get 20hours-24hours from it if you left it running not streaming. Who knows maybe more, if your not constantly streaming or operating the movement/mechanisms.

To add, if you need extended wireless range I'd get the TP-Link TL-WA901ND, its cheap and works well. Just put it on bridge or universal bridge (works for netgears) and It'll extend your range by another 30 metres (for me) maybe more, you could also make a chain of them if needed.

If you have any questions about this setup, let me know.

-Dual
Last edited by DualFever on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DualFever

Postby DualFever » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 pm

UPDATE

I left the battery in for experiment purposes and managed to get a total of 16-17hours out of it with ALWAYS streaming to my pc and recording. Occasionally operating the camera movement.

So i would think if your not constantly streaming/recording you could probably get much longer.

-Dual
DualFever

Postby thespirit3 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 am

Just a quicky regarding solar power - if you assume the camera draws a constant 1A (admittedly at 5V, but taking account of inefficiencies/heat regulating from 12 to 5V...), you're looking at ~24AH a day. Therefor, to maintain a charge on a battery during daylight hours (6 hours a day?) you're looking at a panel that can supply 4A (which at 12V equates to a 50W panel). In reality with cloudy weather (and the slow discharge associated with a charge controller) you probably want 2 or 3 times this... which starts getting expensive.

Just my 2p ;)

Steve
thespirit3

Postby Victor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:12 pm

DualFever wrote:I'll try and answer the questions the best I can but I have not tested voltages so its going to be just thoughts and suggestions no real tried and tested numbers.

Thank you for the answer.

Since I asked that question I have made some investigations and I found this:

ajuniper April 04, 2011, 06:10:31 pm
What's the current draw of the IP cameras when they are idle - i.e. no network traffic (but still connected to WiFi), no motion detection, no LEDs, no pan, no tilt - just sitting there all lonely waiting for someone to talk to it?

I want to run the camera from a sealed lead acid battery via a 5v regulator to do some time lapse shots but don't know how long the battery will last. Can anyone help me?
ajuniper April 26, 2011, 09:27:46 am
Just done some current measurements on my FI8918W camera:

* During startup - 300-400mA
* Post startup, having failed to join a WiFi network - 215mA
* Post startup, connected to a WiFi network - 515mA
* With web browser connection via WiFi, on configuration page - 515mA
* Streaming picture to web browser (no audio) - 570mA
* Streaming same picture to web browser, with IR LEDs on and ambient lights off - 680mA
* Streaming black picture to web browser (no audio) - 530mA - presumably less WiFi frames because black compresses better?
* Streaming picture to web browser, whilst panning - 850mA
* Streaming picture to web browser, whilst tilting - 860mA

Hopefully this will be of use to someone...

Which means that the FI8918W needs 0.57A x 5V = 2.85 W to stream video continuously and 0.515A x 5V = 2.575W to stay idle but connected to the wireless network.

If one uses a battery of (24Ah, 5V) then he can not expect to continuously stream video more than 24Ah/570mA = 42 hours..
Even running the camera idle, the battery will finish in 24Ah/0.515mA = 46 hours.
Victor

Postby 9th » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Yeah I know it was a necroposting but for reference who wants to make a DIY active POE Splitter using UBEC.
9th

Previous

Return to General Discussion